Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Games I started a game dev log for my new racing game project, check it out!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Stephen_O, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, in this video I talk about my road to now and future plans for a new game I'm starting to develop.

konsic likes this.
  2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today I pick up where I left off.. I setup OBS for a higher quality recordings so I can record gameplay. With that out of the way, I can now play and share the Unity project while I talk... here's the start of the prototype.

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today I worked on the player profile system and story introduction scene, in short, I made sure they work and lead to the open world scene with the correct data.

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today I'll share a short requested tutorial for my workflow with Road Architect in Unity to procedurally create road networks the fast, free and easy way. This is a great tool and available on github.

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today I worked on the base logic to control the players progress level. I setup a level manager that will enable the appropriate level controller, player spawning, and player event trigger logic.

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Nice work bro, graphics are very sharp, nice shader support. Have you addressed the occlusion culling and LOD type aspect for performance?

Stephen_O likes this.
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you.

I'm using CScape from the asset store, it's a highly optimized procedural building/city generator. I love it..

I'm only using the buildings from CScape, since they are procedural it can make 1000's of variations and due to the awesome shader it uses they render in a single pass - I don't think they will need any optimizations.

I've not done much world/content design yet, so no actual optimizations like OC or LODs yet either. Once I get the main game loop setup I can focus more on the open world design. What I've shown so far in the open world was the initial prototype test, just to make sure my idea can work.

warthos3399 likes this.
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

I like it, as CScape uses "few one-pass shaders/materials for a whole city landscape. This results in a extremely optimized performance while using Static/Dynamic Batching or Occlusion Culling. (approx 60-160 drawcalls for a city that covers a surface of 10 km2)"
    As long as you have OC set up and running, and batching set up, you should be good to go :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm looking forward to actually doing the world building, I want to see how far I can push it. It's great to be able to have such high quality buildings at such a low performance cost.

warthos3399 likes this.
  10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today I'm working on completing the core game loop, here's my progress and some insight to my thought process and approach.

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today I finalized the progression system flow and merged the art and code projects together. I'm experiencing a fairly long load time, so I will need to figure out how to bring that down through optimization.