Search Unity

I seem to have a RaycastHit problem?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by OnlySpace_unity, Aug 1, 2020.

1. OnlySpace_unity

OnlySpace_unity

So im an aspiring programer and im trying to figure out what the ever living Fudge buckets is going on with this code...

so this turret script finds an enemy, calls the Lazer script which uses a raycast and a line renderer to make a laser, wich is working because it spawns an explosion on the target collider where it hit, but im also trying to get the laser to tell the object(whatever it is) to take damage and that is in fact not happening and i think it was fine for half a second today, but i may have just been delerious...

relevent Code below

[SerializedField] public int smallLaserDamage = 1;

Vector3 CastRay()
    {
    RaycastHit hit;

Vector3 fwd = transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward) * maxDistance;

if (Physics.Raycast (transform.position, fwd, out hit))

{
    SpawnExplosion(hit.point, hit.transform)

FighterSheilds health = hit.collider.GetComponent<FighterSheilds>();

if ( health != null)
    {
    health.fighterTakeDamage (smallLazerDamage);
    }

}

then the other script is like

public void FighterTakeDamage (int damageammount)
    {
    currHealth -= damageammount;

if theres anyhting i left out that you think is important, feel free please!

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

In the future please use code tags as described here to make the code in your post more readable: https://forum.unity.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/

As far as your code - from what I'm seeing here it looks fine to me. Can you explain what makes you think it's not working? have you tried adding Debug.Log statements in your code at strategic places to see which code is running and when? Maybe log which object you hit and how much damage you're subtracting from their health, and their health before and after doing that.

3. OnlySpace_unity

OnlySpace_unity

1. my bad, ive never used a forum before or anything
    2. well the object that its hitting, isnt getting anything subtracted from its health. a hundered lasers hit the ship at once, and the ship has a rigid body and a two colliders just to be safe, and nothing.

i have a missile weapon system that uses "OnTriggerEnter (Collider other)" and it does exactly the ammount of damage it is said to do, and debugs when it both hits and destroys the enemy... all the sources ive read and seen, im doing everything right, but i know im missing something...

4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

How did you verify that the health is not being subtracted? Are you looking at a value in an inspector? Which inspector? Are you reading a Debug.Log message?

Are you sure that the thing you're hitting has a FighterSheilds component? Based on your code an xplosion will still be spawned but nothing else will happen if the object doesn't have that component. Have you tried logging whether or not that component exists on the object you hit, and/or the name of the object you hit?

5. OnlySpace_unity

OnlySpace_unity

Each spawned fighter is spawned via a prefb which has all the scripts and the links connecting them.
    each hit on the fighter does spawn an explosion, called from the laser script, and the debug says it hit, some disconnect between the doing damage part, and the removing health part

im watching each fighter that is targeted from the inspector in the scene window. i can also watch the health drop when i shoot anything with the missles or machineguns but not the lazers because they are using raycasting instead of simple collision detection.

6. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Out of curiosity, what does the missile collision code look like? Isn't it similar? Grabbing the FighterSheilds component from the collider you hit and calling the same method on it?

7. OnlySpace_unity

OnlySpace_unity

yup!

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    {

other.gameObject.GetComponentt<FighterSheilds>() . FighterTakeDamage(smallmissiledamage);

same principal, but i guess its actually the one doing the damage wheras the laser as a turret script that also does the targeting, and is also attatched to the explosion script... idk, i would just copy the code over but its on my wifi-less computer

8. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Is the FighterTakeDamage method actually running?

Is it possible that this field got set to 0 in the inspector?

[SerializedField] public int smallLaserDamage = 1;

Then maybe everything is working but you're just subtracting 0 by accident, so it does nothing?

9. OnlySpace_unity

OnlySpace_unity

all values are perfectly fine!

maybe its the
    "FighterSheilds health =" part because it actually looks like :

FighterSheilds health = hit.collider.GetComponent<FighterSheilds>();

Sheild playerHealth = hit.collider.GetComponent<Sheild>();

FrigateHull frigateHull = hit.collider.GetComponent<FrigateHull>;

if ( health != null)
    {
    health.fighterTakeDamage (smallLazerDamage);
    Debug.Log("damage dealt")