Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I see blender imported model with less polygons than it should

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by vegenarie, Sep 8, 2015.

1. vegenarie

vegenarie

I have made a very high defined half cylinder and when i see the model in game it shows as very low poly but it is very defined actually, it has 17160 verts. The i mported model in Unity as blender extension shows the model in the preview as high defined but if i export it to fbx i can see in the prefab example it creates that it is very low defined, why happens this?

lowpoly.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Did you use a subsurface modifier? If so, try to apply it before exporting.

3. Dantus

Dantus

Applying it manually may not be the best idea in general. But when it is exported as fbx, there is the "Apply Modifiers" option which should be used.

karl_jones likes this.
  4. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Why not? What difference is there to the "Apply Modifiers" option within the export settings?
    Or are you talking about still being able to get a lower polycount if needed later on?

5. Dantus

Dantus

That's exactly what I mean. When you manually apply it, you destroy the low poly version. If there are non destructive workflows, it usually makes sense to use them. Of course, for testing purposes it would have been an option!

6. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I see. Personally, I tend to duplicate the lowpoly version before adding details anyway. So I didn't think about that too much. But you're right. In most cases, you may want to keep lowpoly versions for later use or at least for backup reasons.

7. vegenarie

vegenarie

I dont know what is the subsurface modifier

8. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

9. vegenarie

vegenarie

Where is the Apply button in blender? i used subdivide in the Mesh - Edges - Subdivides

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  10. Dantus

Dantus

11. vegenarie

vegenarie

blender.png I dont see that image, just this

12. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Well, then you probably didn't use the modifier. Did you use it in the first place? After clicking the Apply button once, it will disappear and the geometry will be changed permanently - unless, of course, you undo.
    What did you do to make the object highpoly? Did you just subdivide the object in Edit Mode? Because doing so will not really make the object smoother but just give it more polygons.

13. vegenarie

vegenarie

Finally got it, just a bit smoother, did not get what i wanted but someone in blenderartist gave me the mesh as i wanted