Search Unity

I saw a UFO today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

I remembered MySpace but I totally didn't realize it still existed... which I say is more proof Facebook is a monopoly. :p

Antypodish likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a funny world when something entirely optional and not required is called a monopoly.

3. The thing is, I can see both sides of the argument. On the one side, it's totally not necessary, on the other side, it's quasi public utility. I myself can't really decide between these two so I don't lean to either of them. And I'm a moderate FB user myself and I utilize it to connect with my family and friends in my home country (many thousands of miles away) and in various other countries where they ended up after emigration.

Teila, Antypodish and angrypenguin like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Tell your average teenager that it isn't required. :p

hippocoder likes this.
  5. It isn't "cool" anymore, so it's just matter of time.

6. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hippocoder, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to distract fellow devs with this post.
    UFOs existed, exist and will exist regardless similar incredulous posts.
    They appear though only to those who wear tin foil on their heads - This is the True reason public media try to ridicule people wearing them.
    Just try and see people.
    Make a selfie too - I wanna proof.

hippocoder likes this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Monopolies frequently occur on luxuries, which are by definition something that is entirely optional and not required.

Monopolies are all about a single entity controlling all (or the vast majority) of the supply of a product. They say nothing whatsoever about the customers that are buying the product.

AcidArrow likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes this thread was made to distract fellow devs from spending too much time brooding over unhealthy things while waiting for updated terms. It helps Unity and it also helps us, so I became a terrible moderator for a bit. But not a dishonest one :)

Also I think we're secretly having fun being OT AF.

9. Socrates

Socrates

And I thought the original UFO sighting was unbelievable. You had a MySpace sighting???

Antypodish likes this.
  10. That's nothing, the other day I have found (on an old CD) the source of my very first website from 1995 written in Netscape and it was about AD&D and other RPG characters. Nice animated GIFs included. Spinning @ as "mail to me" icon anyone?

Antypodish likes this.
  11. N1warhead

N1warhead

Believe it or not, the Tin Foil hat thing is a lie, in reality - tin foil would amplify signals, not reduce them lol.... And that there is the funny part lol.

Ippokratis and Kiwasi like this.
  12. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'll never forget Netscape and dialup. RIP, not. lol.

But naw really, it is amazing to stick an old CD in or something on that sort and find your old works. You look at it like wtf was I doing, but still - looks awesome lol. Then you sit there and just dream the the times you did it and miss the feeling you had back then.

Socrates, Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  13. Unless you severe the head and complete the Faraday cage at the bottom! Although it has some effect on your health too. Due to the lack of blood circulation in the head. Or something.

N1warhead likes this.
  14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But everything is "optional". I could walk off into the bush and live off the land and choose not to take anything civilisation has to offer.

Facebook has become a de-facto standard for connecting people. It's not the only one but for many people it's the most common. I can't remember the last time I exchanged phone numbers with anyone*. I only seem to give my email address for signing up to stuff. Postal addresses are clearly out of fashion. Other online systems only reach pockets of people. But Facebook gets used all the time, despite me being a person who would actively prefer to use something else.

* Wait, yes I can! It was months ago, and we'd already known each other on Facebook for probably a year.

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

A Quite Interesting fact... the flip side of that is a monopsony. A monopsony is when there are multiple suppliers of a product, but only a single consumer. The BBC used to be a monopsony with regards to tv shows/productions/scripts, as they used to be the only consumer of those in the UK. Also, it is a really fun word to say.

hippocoder, Socrates, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, but he is. :)

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

LOL bull!

18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Teenagers don't facebook. They instagram/group text and occasionally microblog.

--

Count me among the npn-facebookers. Like most social media, I was an early adopter/developer. I did if for a while, peddled it, and made games and stuffs for it. But now I check my social media accounts about once a year at most.

hippocoder likes this.
  19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That is a really interesting concept. I can come up with plenty of examples of monopsonies. But I'd never really considered them before. That looks like today's rabbit hole to go googling down.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I like this thread. The EULA/ToS situation is a little heavy for a lot of reasons. Sometimes it's nice to be able to unwind and approach things with a lighter tone.

Teila, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  21. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have many, many more examples my friend :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Teila, hippocoder and nipoco like this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes but I think I can speak for all moderators when I say pot calling kettle black by far. The number of threads you've disrupted with off topic is amazing :D

Antypodish likes this.
  23. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Point me to one post that does not have any relevance to something written before that post. You will not find it :)

I talk more about the relevant unity thread though like the one about Gfx jobs, there was no justification what so ever to close that one. Since the matter is not resolved

hippocoder likes this.
  24. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Because we have deleted most of them. Just remember to stay on topic and conversation, and 99% threads of don’t require an andecdote+video of your game. And all will be good. ;)

angrypenguin and hippocoder like this.
  25. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Completely nonsense.

hippocoder likes this.
  26. Murgilod

Murgilod

27. So the vegetation finally finished and The Happening is happening? Because too many people have gone crazy in the past few days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
    hippocoder likes this.
  28. Teila

Teila

Um, wait a minute. ;)

The term MMO is very broad. MP does not cover all situations of smaller games that allow multiplay. I have tried to invent a new world, SMO, which means small multiplayer game, but that never took off. Maybe TMO, tiny multiplayer but that could misleading as it could mean that it is a MP with less than 5 people. :p

So, I have no choice but to use MMO for our small multiplayer game for role players that will not have 10k people. lol More like 500 if we are lucky.

Spatial though is a platform for MASSIVE games. So maybe your hypothesis works as long as you say Spatial users...or maybe those crazy enough to think they can make a game with 100s of thousands of players on a huge massive world. As one who hangs out in a channel with a lot of MMO makers, I can tell you that many are unrealistic about what they can achieve.

But...not crazy, more like idealistic. :) Something weird happens to you when you play MMOs, which is why I have refrained from doing so again until recently, when my son moved away and wants to hang out in ESO. His dad has become a thief and a livestock killer in the matter of hours, so see what it does to you?

This place is nice.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  29. Teila

Teila

Teens do not use as much as us older folks. :) I keep track of family far away and my friends in my old home of Florida. Without it, I would lose them most likely. My kids use Tumbler and Discord, and other means.

I also see friends use FB to find homes for cats and dogs, send out a call for help for elderly people, let folks know when they are butchering a steer and have beef to sell (I have a lot of Wisconsin family members lol).

FB is not perfect, but it does bring us together. Just wish they were not so arrogant about it.

30. chingwa

chingwa

MMOs bring out the deeply hidden truth in every person. I don't want to know myself, so I don't play MMOs.

hippocoder and Teila like this.
  31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Steady on I don't have a problem with you and I'm enjoying the pokes you take at me - I'm a big boy after all! I just wanted you to know I'm fine with it. But really you should post at least one video of your game in this UFO topic even if it's throwing a disc like thing in the air...

32. Maybe I'm the only one who does not like MMOs in general? And have never played them seriously?

33. Teila

Teila

I am very picky and not really fond of modern MMOs. I liked the old ones. It is fun playing with my son and with Dennis, who rarely plays games. But...ESO is really not my cup of tea. It is only fun because we are playing together and we only play a few hours a week. If Ryan had not gifted it to me for Christmas, I probably would never have tried it.

Keeping a relationship with my adult son is important enough for me to do things that are not exactly what I would like to do. :)

Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  34. Antypodish

Antypodish

From MMOs I loved playing WoW over decade ago.
    Also played some Lineage and even Tibia.

Teila likes this.
  35. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I don't post off topic so sorry.

hippocoder likes this.
  36. Ryiah

Ryiah

You could make the case that recommending hardware that is way beyond the budget given is off-topic. :p

Antypodish and hippocoder like this.
  37. chingwa

chingwa

I thought we were all talking about UFO's?

hippocoder likes this.
  38. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nah, because UFO is off-topic :p

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

After all this has died down, I predict one of the moderators will attack diagonally from just outside my field of view and lock this when I least expect it, putting an end to my foul and flagrant disregard for the rules. When? who can tell...

Probably best wait for Unity's AMA thing though.

Antypodish and Teila like this.
  40. Teila

Teila

You are doing a good job, Hippo. If they close you down, it is because they are so jealous that you thought to create a place where everyone could wind down. :)

Kudos.

Kiwasi, Antypodish and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  41. I'm like Bud Spencer.
    I'm for the Hippo!

image_i_m_for_the_hippo_dvd_cover_copy_1.jpg

Teila, Ryiah and Antypodish like this.
  42. Antypodish

Antypodish

The thing is a bit of foolishness is good for community in general, as long it stays humanly.

Many forum communities has offtopic forum sections, to keep stress out, of major topics. Also is good place for additional brain storming, within relevant community, rather trying to join some other forums. Being divided between is not good.

Already repeated many times, but we know Unity suffers for proper community engagement, on many fields.

I mean, we don't need talk about yotube cats, but we have people with different backgrounds, and curious human been, like to ask questions, different questions.

I hope this thread at least stays open. It has been open for good reason, but it don't have to end there.
    Hail hipp hippo hurray.

Kiwasi likes this.
  43. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you can't afford a descent workstation you are in the wrong business. Sure GPUs are a bit more expensive right now then they use to be, but all in all, computer hardware is really cheap in this day and age. Plus it's tax free. There is no reason not to work on a good workhorse. and soon Zen 2 is here with affordable 12 and 16 core CPUs

44. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Some of the stuff you say is pretty disrespectful. Not everyone is the same as you, not everyone is in the same situation as you, and everyone starts somewhere.

Not everyone starts out privileged.

Also, I do plenty of good work on machines you'd thumb your nose at. ;) T'is a poor tradesman who blames their tools.

Socrates, Ryiah, Teila and 1 other person like this.
  45. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Haha, I don't blame my tools, since I got good ones. Well sometimes it's Unity or other third-party tools thats faulty but that's another thing all together. And most of those we find before going live thanks to a extensive test coverage.

46. Teila

Teila

Let us not ruin the thread with talk of serious stuff! :) Respect the reason this thread was opened and enjoy.

Socrates, xVergilx and Deleted User like this.
  47. xVergilx

xVergilx

Has anybody read camera's terms of use to film the UFO yet?

Ryiah, Kiwasi and Teila like this.
  48. Antypodish

Antypodish

My camera automatically detects UFO, and prohibits of shooting photos.
    But if I fight much with it, then I can get at least blurry pictures.

Teila and xVergilx like this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

I saw a Hippo today. Which is a weird thing to see in Montana in the dead of winter... :p

Teila likes this.
  50. Antypodish

Antypodish

But question is, was that "our" hippo? Is after xmas, so sledges should be in garage.

xVergilx likes this.