Search Unity

I saw a UFO today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Jan 11, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's not improbable, but it's certainly more interesting and healthy than the conspiracy-fuelled SpatialOS thread.

Heh.

Whippets, dogzerx2, Grizmu and 7 others like this.
  2. hard_code

hard_code

Inconceivable!

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

4. chingwa

chingwa

Picture or gtfo.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sorry it's a bit blurry, my hand was shaking so much:
    upload_2019-1-11_3-24-16.png

wetcircuit, Leniaal, Tzan and 7 others like this.
  6. chingwa

chingwa

It looks exactly like the one I saw!

Gekigengar, Amon and hippocoder like this.
  7. Who threw this at you? :D

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Judging by how many MMO makers there are in that thread, there is not actually enough humans on earth to support all the games that were being made.

9. I saw one too! What a coincidence!
    ufo.jpg

konsic, Gekigengar, Amon and 4 others like this.
  10. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I swear I've seen UFO's before.

hippocoder likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Amazing how many people crawl out of the woodwork when there is a discussion of this nature. I recognized at least one individual that makes a habit of showing up everytime there is a negative discussion concerning Unity. I'm surprised we haven't had more of the usual suspects show up yet. We've mostly just gotten crazy people who barely post.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Teila, Amon, Ony and 3 others like this.
  12. Antypodish

Antypodish

I also saw one, when I was making sharp turn. It was rolling and overtaking my car.

But can anyone in few brief sentences describe, what is SpatialOS?
    So far I understand, is something to do with distributed network, across different OS?

hippocoder likes this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its a cloud MMO solution. The general idea is you develop your game, then you use spatial to do all of the networking and MMO stuff. It takes care of spinning up and down instances and servers, sharding, and all of that other juicy MMO stuff.

I played with it a while back when it first came out, but never got very far. I'm not insane enough to build my own MMO, even if a third party service is doing all of the hard work.

The latest spat is Unity has accused Improbable of violating their ToS, and shut down their Unity editor licenses. But they haven't shut down SpatialOS or said Unity devs should stop using SpatialOS. Which is all somewhat confusing.

To add to the confusion, noone has said exactly how Improbable are violating the ToS. And so everyone in the other thread is basically running on conjecture. They are basically making assumptions and running off games media sensational headlines.

The whole thing will blow over in a couple of days. It really is just posturing from a couple of corporates that has gotten out of hand.

Ryiah, hippocoder and Antypodish like this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Thx @Kiwasi for explaining situation. Now the thread and the attached article makes more sense to me.
    I let the noise dilute into space.

So here is my bath plug, I was looking for.

Amon, Ryiah, Lurking-Ninja and 2 others like this.
  15. There are some days when I hate the fact that I hate popcorn. This is one of those days. :D

deliquescator, Amon, ikazrima and 4 others like this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yup. Thats the best approach.

If you are actively using SpatialOS right now, and had a plan to deploy within the next month or two, there might be some small cause for concern.

But for the rest of us, this is just a minor commercial dispute about licensing fees and terms. This sort of thing happens all the time. They will come to a resolution. Normally this stuff gets resolved privately instead of publicly. Going public like this is a last resort move when negotiations have broken down. Both companies will loose more then they gain from how public the spat has become. But both companies stand to loose more from not having a deal altogether, so they will figure something out.

hippocoder likes this.
  17. Singtaa

Singtaa

Genuinely curious. What conspiracy?

Update: Never mind, I'm just late to the party. Poor Unity... Oh well, time works wonders on overreacting heads...

hippocoder likes this.
  18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There are lots of them. Here are some of my favorites:
    • Unity has colluded with Google to block SpatialOS to drive developers to their own multiplayer platform
    • Unreal and Improbable have orchestrated this as a smear campaign to attract developers of MMOs to Unreal
    • Unity are going to block all third party services for Unity games, including Steam. This will drive all business through Unity's own storefront. Which they will be announcing any moment now.
    • Hippocoder saw a UFO.
    Its fairly likely Hippocoder saw a UFO. The rest are garbage.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Anyone else amazed at how fast the knives came out for Unity? don't know about you but it's kind of shocking.

20. mountblanc

mountblanc

I saw a few UGO day before yesterday. It was in a Unity course project.
    It took a bit of time to figure out where they came from.
    but the Unidentified Game Objects where created by a character controller script to detect collisions.
    So now they are IGO's. Identified Game Objects and i can continue learning in peace. ;-)

Kiwasi and hippocoder like this.
  21. chingwa

chingwa

It's the whole "what have you done for me lately" thing.

tango209 and hippocoder like this.
  22. Singtaa

Singtaa

Ah thanks! Although no matter how I see it, #2 is a fact in my books. But I can see how that can be "conspiracy-ish". So let's leave it at that.

hippocoder likes this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, at least initially, but in hind sight it somewhat makes sense that those who are crazy enough to develop an MMO are crazy enough to jump to conclusions without any real facts to back them up. I might be getting a little jaded by GD though.

24. Singtaa

Singtaa

Yes, remember when you merged my thread with Joachim's reply into that mega thread? I had no idea it existed... and with so many emotional comments. I simply wanted to ask a ECS+Networking question man...

hippocoder likes this.
  26. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks like a case of an accidental glimpse into the ugly machinery of corporate wheeling and dealing, which is bound to sear the minds of even the most worldly of game developers.

I'm surprised people didn't wait for Unity's response, though to be fair when you make the first move, you had better make sure you do it right.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's a nobility to being extremely diverse, yet restrained. Might even be called leading. Who knew?

Billy4184 likes this.
  28. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

29. hopeful

hopeful

When a misunderstanding occurs, an object of affection can quickly turn into an agent of betrayal. Fear can turn defensive and generate wrath.

30. I picked this one and to be fair I saw enough business shenanigans to think this way, also every secondary clue point towards this. But I'll leave it there, I don't want this thread to become the second version of the other.

31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity has lost its indie status. It's now a big corporation. Which means that a bunch of the starving artist/anarchist types are now accidentally stuck with a dependency on the bourgeoisie. It's a shock to suddenly realise this.

As an anecdote, in my other social networks which tend to have more actual professional developers, nobody has actually noticed the spat yet.

Socrates, MD_Reptile, Ryiah and 5 others like this.
  32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ha! About a year ago I predicted it was only a matter of time before epic was going to start paying people to use their engine.

Same here. Outside this forum and couple news aggregator sites, no one seemed to know or care.

Kiwasi, MD_Reptile, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  33. synderclinton

synderclinton

May the force be with you! You are The Chosen One!

hippocoder likes this.
  34. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Haters gonna hate. Makers gonna make. Nothing says you're successful more than random people hating you, I swear there's got to be an algorithm.

Ryiah, hippocoder and chingwa like this.
  35. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

So its fine for moderators to write nonsethreads, and at the same time they lock paying customers unity relevant threads.. that logic. edit: And Im not talking about the spatialos thread

36. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

How dare you, I post a ton! :p

37. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I have to say though, since this thread was more or less created as a way to say "HAHA LOOK AT THOSE IDIOTS IN THE OTHER THREAD COMPLAINING ABOUT UNITY", that I really don't understand the mental gymnastics some of you constantly do even when Unity is clearly in the wrong. (not saying it's the case this time necessarily)

elias_t, Ryiah, hippocoder and 2 others like this.
  38. chingwa

chingwa

Mental gymnastics keep the mind flexible and nimble.

39. Schneider21

Schneider21

To be fair, I don't know most of the people in the big thread. Some of them may have games that will absolutely get finished and be even marginally financially successful.

But it seems to me there's a small but persistent group of people who slave away on their dream MMO (using Unity) and curse it with each line of code they write. As if they already know in their hearts that their efforts will not pay off, and blaming the engine and its parent company will somehow make that easier to swallow.

I come off as a Unity apologist (not as much as @Ryiah, admittedly ;)), but it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools, as I've decided to start saying. Yes, the TOS are horribly worded and need to be hammered out better. But just say that instead of going on about how terrible UT is and how they're screwing the little guys and all that...

I am surprised there aren't more people outraged at Improbable. I wonder why they get the benefit of the doubt in the frustrated peoples' minds and Unity doesn't.

40. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yeah and i also find it really strange how many MMO makers are in that forum thread tbh.

Ive slated unity in the past, but only when its justified (as in they promised X and then didnt deliver X), but this is not really fair on them and I really feel for them. Its why I mostly just ended up leaving the thread and going to bed, and Im glad as I woke up to see the explanation from UT side which is in line with what I had imagined. We have now also debated it in house with our legal team now that I am back at work, and overall I think the storm has passed

I think your making a large leap in that assessment. Noone is saying that here. If anything this thread was meant to get away from the spatialOS talk, and everyone just brought it back here.

I am surprised by how far some will go to outright assume UT is in the wrong, both before and after they actually posted their view.

TLDR: I think eveyrone on the forums hasnt been showing their best side over the last 24 hours or so, probably me included.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  41. Ryiah

Ryiah

See my problem was never with people pointing fingers at Unity. My problem was with people jumping to conclusions when they only heard the viewpoint of one of the companies. After that they're free to point fingers all they like and I might have very well joined them had Improbable not made that second post that condemned them in my eyes.

Epic Games is just being Epic Games. They've had funds of this nature in the past. It's not a stretch to imagine that their legal team has contracts in place for additional events to bring in new customers and even if they didn't it's not hard to phone your head legal and ask if it's fine to do it. Contracts can always be written up post announcement.

AcidArrow and hippocoder like this.
  42. N1warhead

N1warhead

Really though, I have at two instances seen like these silver orbs in the sky that just didn't move for hours and next thing I know, one minute it's just - gone after looking back lol.

Technically from my perspective it really is a UFO, I have no idea what it is. But who knows? Subconsciously I hope it's Aliens, but reality tells me there's an easy explanation for it, I just have no idea what it is, but if you do any google searches, a lot of people seem to wonder what these things are and there seems to never be a real concrete answer lol.

43. chingwa

chingwa

I actually did see a UFO once... it appeared to be a bright star in the night sky. I was staring at it while waiting for a stop light, and it sat there unmoving just like all the other stars, then it suddenly accelerated downward at an incredible speed and disappeared. Luckily I was with a friend who saw it do the exact same thing. We rarely talked about it after, yet both remembered it 20 years later.

JamesArndt, hippocoder and N1warhead like this.
  44. N1warhead

N1warhead

It was swamp gas and Venus, didn't ya know? LOL.

hippocoder and chingwa like this.
  45. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There were a lot of new users in thread, however that is perfectly understandable. Only a small percentage of users visit and use these forums. Several of the new posters presumably headed over here in an attempt to find out WTF was going on following an extremely misleading, alarming post at improbable. And being the nature of the improbable plugin thingy, it is also understandable that they are mostly MMOs and the like. They were concerned, and this is the natural place to go to find more info.

But this whole recent 'issue' was basically a non-issue when the dust settled and freaking out stopped. Nothing changed at all. All that happened is that a company lost their license due to a dispute that none of us are privy to. They panicked posted incorrect information trying to stir up something. No one else is affected. (except those whose game is dependent on improbable's service and their actions in the future, but that is a risk with any third party service). The TOS uproar is overstated by improbable and likely a red herring to distract from other issues. The change doesn't affect anyone unless you are creating 3rd party services. Multiplayer games are a significant portion of modern games, it's just part of making games, and had been. Common sense is that Unity isn't going to radically change their rules for making and deploying servers for developers. There is no logical reason to think that would happen, regardless of what improbable tried to imply. Moreover, if Unity actually did that (they won't), it wouldn't stick. Class action suits, general lawsuits and business loss for breach would follow and end it. It's just not going to happen, so nothing to worry about. Unity wouldn't do that, there is no good reason for them to. The improbable thing is a seperate (and clearly more complex that we all are aware of) issue. Nothing to worry about, just keep working on our games.

Like @Ryiah , I am not defending Unity as much as annoyed by people jumping to conclusions, freaking out and just plain not using logic. I am more than happy to express (loudly on several occasions) my disasaction with Unity's mistepps with they make them. Last time I threw a tantrum, they made me a mod, so... that may have just compounded the issue. ;) But the simple reality is that I make games. Period. I am not a "Unity Developer" or whatever. I am a game developer, I happen to currently use Unity. It's a good tool. If it doesn't fit I won't use it. But I am not emotionally attached to it. Sometimes people get to attached or invested in tools and such. It's not healthy, and a bit silly. And definitely not beneficial to others who are just trying to make game, not join a tribe.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

How is it that Unity Technologies doesn't make things clear instead of waiting until rumours wear off? The question is very simple: can people who make mmos use SpatialOS with Unity or not?

(I'm not and never will be an mmo developer.)

:)

hippocoder likes this.
  47. tiggus

tiggus

Blame aside on who is right and who is wrong I just feel bad for those folks who actually have put a lot of time into SpatialOS + Unity. I checked out that Fractured MMO and they have a pretty active userbase/forums/etc. and a alpha build, not vaporware. Those are the real losers in all this as they either need to retool or hope an agreement is reached.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  48. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes and no. From a legal standpoint (someone correctly me if I'm way off here) the restrictions in the Terms of Service do not apply to you. They apply to the company that owns the platform (because SpatialOS is considered to be a platform by Unity's Terms of Service) which is Improbable.

That said, and this is where the "no" comes into play, since Improbable lost their licenses to Unity they will be unable to provide updates to their SDK for Unity. Since Platforms are constantly evolving their SDKs will have to be continuously updated. Without the ability to update the SDK you'll quickly be unable to use their service.

hippocoder likes this.
  49. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

There's this tweet by the Photon guys which confuses me.

https://twitter.com/ExitGames/status/1083655630336987136

hippocoder likes this.
  50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

*shrugs* let corporate and lawyers sort it out. Are you using Photon?