Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug I resigned to use Unity, even i was so patient ( Unity 2022.3.20 editor bug )

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sachaamm, Feb 22, 2024.

1. sachaamm

sachaamm

Hi, this is a general conversation about a feeling i've got for a moment. I'm working with Unity since 10 year, i've seen many evolutions of the engine, and i remember that i was excited about DOTS annoucement ( even we have to get distance from what was also a marketing annoucement. ) It was in 2019, at this time i've started a project that i invest so much myself on it that now it is a part of myself. During all my efforts, i've got the feeling that i was reaching the Unity engine capabilites ( it was an 3d open world project which can be challenging for resources ). For this project I spent a lot on buying third party assets to get the best that i can. The project was good, but i was struggling against the engine for several reasons :
    - Render pipeline switching was a pain in the ass. During the project, i switched many time from BuiltIn to URP, URP at that time was sometime unstable, and getting very long shader building time due to a Unity shader memory leak issue, so I've switched back to BuiltIn for stability, but needed URP now for DOTS Hybrid Render Pipeline.
    - I was at that time always wondering : can i switch to DOTS even is not production ready ? at that time, my project codebase started to get bigger and bigger, and it was harder and harder to switch without breaking changes. i also spent time to learn this new paradigm, giving again a chance to Unity engine.
    - The Unity editor is a mess. There are many memory leaks on it, this is why after hours of usage, it's better to restart it. Also I was getting project asset database corruption where i add to reimport all assets from my project of a project with a size of 100GB containing all library cache stuff..
    Now, when I'm switching to 2023 ( which is not LTS ) i've started to implements DOTS, and i'm happy to see that the Editor seems to be more stable now, with very good performance using Animation and Navigation in ECS ( but in sametime, 50% of my codebase has to be rewritten ...) Entities inspector is not totally working ( cannot directly inspect an entity from Hierarchy ). So i downgraded the project to 2022 lts (2022.3.20) and now I still have editor white screen at beginning. So at this point i just feel that i'm fighting against an unstable engine, even there is an interesting community, resources, third party assets, this is such exhausting and time consuming, specially when you have to be in a productive mindset, making video games is enough difficult so i don't have to additionaly fight against an unstable tool. I hope for you the best, but when i'm comparing you to UE process workflow ( Blueprint, stability, Graphics quality, Free assets each month ) i just only can say that i don't want to waste my time with you Unity. Of course it's sad, because we spent good times together, i invested a lot on you, and this is not an easy choice for me, i did not wanted to do that, but i wasted too many time these last 3 years.
    I hope the best for your future.
    PS : i have no additional time for you to give you any additional details, send you bug details, etc... because it is your job to fix all these issues in your product. Good luck, and i wish you the best
    My suggestion : release 2023 LTS as soon as possible, even without all new features announced. Focus only on SRP and DOTS stability
    Alex

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  2. stigmamax

stigmamax

with Unity, I take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. I'm used to it after 10 years but it's annoying.