Search Unity

I reset windows 10, and now my scene won't load?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by smashingdashing, Jul 26, 2019.

1. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

I'm using Unity 4.7.2 - I had a Third Person aRPG project I was building, but had problems with the internet so I reset my Windows OS. Now, when I load the project into Unity (using the same version), and open the .scene for the world, there is nothing in the hierarchy apart from the camera.

This is really frustrating, and I've also written 99% of the code with my own two hands, so is there anything I need to do for the .scene to load correctly? Because I don't want to lose all of this hard work..

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

What's the name of the scene, did you load the last saved scene?

I also have doubts about Unity 4.7.2 being compatible with Windows 10.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2019
  4. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

it was called World or something I'm pretty sure, and 4.7.2 works with Windows 10, worked great before I reformatted now I can't load the scene :(

5. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

Nothing? Hours, and hours, and hours of work, all lost :(

6. mgear

mgear

in the old unity versions, that has happened to me also, sometimes scene would get corrupted and empty..

only way to recover was this one, https://blog.theknightsofunity.com/can-restore-unsaved-scene-unity-crash/
    but that backup file is erased if you open the project in unity, so probably its gone.

also, do you have the complete project folder there, not just opening single scene file?

as a last change,
    could try some undelete tools, and try to look for any possible scene files or that temp file..

and for the next project, look into version control systems. (so your work is saved on server)

7. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

Thank you so much! I'll look into that soon, I have the complete project folder too. All the files are there but it seems as if the scene is just corrupted. I also had one other scene within the world, and that's all gone too

my other projects are in Unity 2018 & 2019, but they're not corrupted at all. The worst thing is those projects don't bother me near as much as this one, because with this I've spent all the time myself writing the code and didn't use any third party assets apart from animations and models.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Surely, you backed up your project before upgrading it? Can't you import the corrupted scene from your backup or from older versions of your project? At least you wouldn't have to redo it entirely.

9. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

I have at least 2 back ups, I saved the folder and ALL the contents... But now when I try to load the scene nothing loads. I still have to try what @mgear suggested, so I'm HOPING this will be a fix.

Only reason why I wasn't using Unity 2018 or above was because of errors I was getting when updating the project, so I stuck with Unity 4

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

How do you upgrade your project? Do you just open it in a new version of Unity?

I had problems with upgrading my project so I only kept the Assets folder, the Package Manager folder and the Project Settings folder. Unity regenerated the Library folder and my problems were solved. The project opened on an empty scene; I went to my scenes folder, loaded the saved scene that was there and everything was fine.

11. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

I would copy the folder and paste it elsewhere, then I would open Unity 2018 and convert the project. But I wasn't trying to upgrade my project, that wasn't the issue, I was reinstalling Windows 10 because I was having issues separate to this, and now this has happened. If I knew reinstalling would have caused this I wouldn't have bothered reformatting Windows 10

I've tried all the scenes in my project, and all are empty

12. mgear

mgear

if the project was saved with 4.7, try using that version (or 5.6) first.

smashingdashing likes this.
  13. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

I found out something, I used a free asset for skeleton modlels and animations - which came with a scene. The scene shows off the skeletons and effects and what not. THAT SCENE works, but mine don't. This is F***ing bullshit! I'm sorry for my language, this is just so frustrating to me.

14. smashingdashing

smashingdashing

Alright, so upon further investigating I've managed to been able to load SOME of the contents in the scene, but the terrain won't load lol.

I'm glad I'm making progress at least, I'll keep this post updated if I fix it

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you try loading your project after keeping only the Assets and Projects Settings folders (if they exist in 4.7)? If you can do that, your project will open on a (really) empty scene and you'll just have to load your scene.