Search Unity

I really want to like Unity but...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by McPeppergames, Nov 28, 2020.

1. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

I am always experiencing new compile errors because of NOTHING!
    Now I only have added a background image to a UI plane and resized it in Photoshop while Unity was still running. Returning to Unity I see this messages:

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.0.0-preview.26/Runtime/XR/XRPass.cs(254,40): error CS0117: 'SystemInfo' does not contain a definition for 'supportsMultiview'

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.0.0-preview.26/Runtime/XR/XRPass.cs(279,36): error CS0117: 'SystemInfo' does not contain a definition for 'supportsMultiview'

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.0.0-preview.26/Runtime/Passes/DrawSkyboxPass.cs(34,56): error CS0117: 'SystemInfo' does not contain a definition for 'supportsMultiview'

This really is demotivating to dive into Unity.

Yesterday it was a popup when trying to continue working on my project. Started by clicking the project in the Hub and then got a popup that it can't be opened and was asked to QUIT / TRY AGAIN / RESET and not one of those options did start the scene.

I am working on a MacBook and somehow I am investing more time in fixing stuff than working on stuff.

2. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Even cleaning my scene to just a camera with a light is now giving me this:

All compiler errors have to be fixed before you can enter playmode!
    UnityEditor.SceneView:ShowCompileErrorNotification() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:4004)

And the best part: Who is /Users/bokken ???

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

ShowCompileErrorNotification() is the internal Unity method (probably built under /Users/bokken somewhere at Unity) that tells you you have a compile error. It is not the error itself. Hit the Clear button in the Console tab, and it should clear out all messages except for the actual compiler errors.

4. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Thank you.

Can anybody please explain what can cause this error: "
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.0.0-preview.26/Runtime/Passes/DrawSkyboxPass.cs(34,56): error CS0117: 'SystemInfo' does not contain a definition for 'supportsMultiview'
    " ?

5. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Same like this one: When starting a complete empty new URP project, creating a new scene and click on start I get this:
    "TLS Allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD, underlying allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD has unfreed allocations, size 21"

Why and how can I remove it?

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The first error is a bug or incompatibility in DrawSkyboxPass. And you'll note that this is from a preview version of a URP package.

As you're new to Unity, you should not be using preview versions of anything. At all. Previews are exactly that: raw, often still-buggy previews of advanced features for advanced users who have some reason to want to live on the bleeding edge, or just get a peek at what Unity is working on. That's not you.

You probably shouldn't be using URP either. Use the standard (classic) render pipeline. Create a new project, leave everything at the defaults, do NOT add any packages, and press Play. That should work. And now you can start adding your own code and assets to build a game.

Joe-Censored and Schneider21 like this.
  7. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Thanks for the tips Joe. Much appreciated!

JoeStrout likes this.