Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I offically give up!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ethanbf3, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Ethanbf3

Ethanbf3

Quite awhile ago i wanted to create a simple game, i knew what it would take but over those few months, there has been SO LITTLE progress. No one would help teach it! Yeah im motivated, but i have no starting point. I looked around the internet, asked questions. But there was etheir no answers or they made no sense at all. Be logic!

Anyway i quit!

EDIT:
    Scratch that, i finally got somewhere with i am really happy with! (and yes i looked into it)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/13...-stuck-on-the-next-bit...?p=889555#post889555 :D:D:D:D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Ok? Why share on the forums, if you gave up you'd be long gone and offline. But honestly, if you don't have a starting point just download some simple game GDD. If your trying to get people to help, this isn't a very good way. I suggest getting something organized. But just remember, game developing isn't for everyone.

Cheers
    Khelton

3. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Okay, interested to see the type of project you attempted.

4. LordJulian

LordJulian

Game Development is not meant to be a fun ride, it can be grittingly fustrating at times, but nevertheless very rewarding. To give up because people don't give you answers or they don't make sense is gooberly-gook. If you're passionate in gaming, you should find alternative solutions to teach yourself in game devlopment. Try some tutorial lessons from a few teaching websites and construct (but not entirely copy it). your game similiarly to the tutorial you have just learned.

Only real game developers can perservere and eventually learn to make games with enough effort, don't give up, slap yourself on the face and get on a different apprach to learning if you believe your current method of teaching isnt helping.

5. JRavey

JRavey

Does somebody have an obligation to teach you? Did you pay somebody for lessons or sign up for classes about programming? If not, your moaning about nobody teaching you seems childish.

You quit? OK.

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I’m confused... your last thread asking for scripting help was quickly replied to with two good sources to learn how to script. Someone else posted an additional question but you had no follow-up.

I just looked through your started thread history and it does seem you need more than Unity help; you need to learn to program from the ground up.

Go to this page, and follow their tutorials.
    http://learn-programming.za.net/learn_cs_programming.html

Forget about Unity for now; just get Microsoft Visual Studio.Net to get started in C# programming.
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express

If you are truly motivated, you will just follow those links and only return here once you devour all the tutorials and truly understand things. Actually at that point you should follow the links provided in the last thread you made:

First:
    http://www.youtube.com/thenewboston (should by then be just review)

Then to get the Unity specific objects and classes (by then you will understand what those are): http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.html

If you are just bluffing about motivation, though, you will just keep whining about people not injecting knowledge into your brain.

7. blackdragonstory

blackdragonstory

LOL
    What should I say then after 3 years or soo and the game I was wworking on is still in start points.Although my game isnt simple.
    I think that with your motivation comes lazyness.I am not sure what you do in your game development(Codding,3D modeling,animating...),but from my experience if you are lazy you need to stop being lazy to make progress.It will be hard.
    I do 3D most of the time,but I have,let me call it desire/wish to learn other game development stuff.I know some stuff in lot areas of game development such as animation,programming,texturing/drawing.If you dont want to spend 3 years for small progress,choose one you know better and leave others out for your team mates or for later.
    Go one piece at a time.Learn from my mistakes which I will continue doing cuz it may seem slow today or tomorrow,but after few years who knows :)
    Anyway I will leave my signature on soo you can see my game.
    Hope this helps a bit.Btw how old are you?

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

Judging by the composition of your post I would think your answers were asked in the same manner.

If you ask clearly defined questions 90% of the time people are going to answer or try to help.
    If you don't understand something, then point that out and be clear and precise what it is you don't understand.

And if you're really stuck perhaps invest in a mentor that can teach you by the hour or something.

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ah, that's the trouble with most folks today. They want the world handed to them. Where's the initiative? Where is the drive? Well, in the immortal words of my father "Somebody has to cook burgers and pick up trash". Good luck.

10. wccrawford

wccrawford

To be fair, learning to program is *hard*. It would be a lot easier if everything didn't change so much year to year, but it does and will continue to. Just to get a foothold is hard.

However, I think the Unity community is one of the best I've seen as far as learning to program goes. People here are very patient with novice coders when they ask for help. Even the ones that make me scream in frustration get helped here.

One of the things that makes learning to program harder than it has to be is trying to do complex things without doing simple things first. You can't run before you walk.

Even as a professional programmer, I didn't jump into Unity and make an FPS. I started by making a box. And then I added a lid to that box. And then I made a script that opens the box when I click it. This seems really simplistic, but it was a great way to get a grip on mouse events and animation. From that little bit of knowledge, and the built-in assets, I can make a first-person game level where I can have doors that open when I click on them with relative ease. To me, that's bloody amazing. No other language/framework has been this accessible when I started learning it.

11. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Well, see ya. You obviously don't have the motivation to do it, if you did, you would of tried harder.

12. Heu

Heu

Bye then :(.

13. windexglow

windexglow

Relax, don't force yourself to make a game. If you're having trouble learning unity than you might want to mod games instead. Not as much freedom but much easier to get into. I'd recommend starcraft2, but the way hosting is set up it can be difficult to get players to test your map.

Take things one at a time. Start small instead of hoping you'll have a fully fledged game in 4 months.

14. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

You have to really want to make games!

I'm sorry to hear that. But if that's making you quit, then you don't love game making! You have to really love it... you have to crave it!!! crave game making! With drool and stuff, it has to be genuine! If you make game only because ladies think it's hawt, then you're not doing it for the right reasons!

This is not the type of things you can be convinced to do! We can't promise you money, you sure won't get all the ladies by doing this, and we can't tell *you* that game creating is insanely exciting, because that's how *we* feel. The thing is that we can't tell you how you should feel, it's up to you! You either do it yourself, go nuts doing it... or you don't.

So it's a shame, because you gave it a shot, meaning you do wanted to make a game, something deep inside you said... "I want to be a game maker".
    But perhaps you're doing it for the wrong reasons, or maybe you wanted to move too fast, I don't know. Game making is slow, very slow. It WILL take you longer than you think, doesn't matter what you want to do, it's very hard to grasp the whole picture; it always seems like it should take less, but there's always setbacks, and everything takes longer to make.
    And there isn't a quick guide anywhere around, nor someone willing to tutor you for the years needed to make games... so if those are your final words, farewell, friend! ... otherwise, the game making world awaits you!!! :p

15. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Quitters will quit. Winners keep striving, no matter the obstacles.

Good luck,
    Gigi.

16. welby

welby

Like WCCrawford said,..start simple,...VERY simple,..

here is something I started with almost a year ago,..

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Wenliss/unity-test1

It's nothing but a rudimentary exercise on how to manipulate objects,....thinking back on it,...I chuckle at how simple it is,..but you have to start somewhere,...

95% of the things I learned was through youtube tutorials, not just unity specific but C# in general,..like the Visual studio stuff. The rest I get from becoming a google-fiend and Unity Answers.

Anything worth doing is oftentimes not easy, but that just makes the rewards that much bigger!

good luck.

17. lockbox

lockbox

Game development is *supposed* to be be fun and challenging. It may get frustrating at times until you figure something out, but the research and problem solving process should be fun and challenging as well. Learning, experimentation and discovery are also things that making developing anything such a great endeavor.

But if you're not enjoying yourself, then it's best to move on to something else. Not everyone is cut out to be a developer - gaming or otherwise.

Cheers

18. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I didn't know anyone here was supposed to teach you. If you don't know the starting point, start at the beginning. If you don't know the beginning, figure it out. Teaching can only go so far. We can show you the door, it's your job as the student to walk though it and digest what you find. Motivation isn't enough.

19. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Well, you know what? If you don't enjoy figuring this stuff out then maybe you should quit. I'm serious, and not trying to be mean.

Look, game development is a flooded market with not that great of potential for making good money. Yes it happens, but those are anecdotal. The reality is that with so many people in the market companies get to walk all over devs, underpaying them, slashing benefits, and demanding inhuman hours if not sleeping at the office during invented "crunch times" that last up to six months. It sucks. Period.

But you know why people do it? Because they love what they do. And what they do is constantly learn and figure out new things. That's what game development is. Love it or hate it.

If you hate it, then quit. Seriously. There are tons of far higher paying fields that require far less effort and far less education.

20. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

lol

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I can sort of see your anger but all the questions you asked are just the general ones just google how to script instead of asking personaly also you say people dont help you... but realy i just looked through your posts and you have never helped anyone, its a 2 way thing you help you get help.

22. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I agree. With the you have to help to get help comment, I both agree and disagree.

23. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

I have literally been at it for years and I still suck. ahaha I wish I could quit !!!

24. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

:)

25. LordJulian

LordJulian

Lesson one on Unity teaching, never rely on UnityAnswers. :)

26. Arowx

Arowx

Remember...

27. janpec

janpec

I quit it more or less three times already, i always came back. The only cure i found thus far was getting a girlfriend, but since this really doesnt happen often to me, i am stuck at it:D

28. by0log1c

by0log1c

Lol @ original poster. Maybe you don't try hard enough?!

I had zero experience on Unity and next to no programming experience at all when I got a job as a Unity programmer (talk about (fun) stress). I litterally spend hundreds of hours reading UnityAnswers, UnifyCommunity, UnityForums and the Scripting Reference.

I learned amazingly fast and now I feel I'm pretty decent. I now spend several hours a day on UnityAnswers and on the IRC chat to help less experienced users.

Whining doesn't gets you anywhere. To my eyes, your attempt is quite laughable; show respect and dedication. I'll not hold a grudge against you if you persevere, I'll do my best to help, but I won't care at all if you just quit.

;)

29. kablammyman

kablammyman

how did you pull that off????

30. Tseng

Tseng

You are not meant to be a programmer then. There is endless number of resources on the internet (and books too) to learn programming.

What you expect is a click-and-play solution. Unity isn't that. Also you have no f***ing idea about what's simple and what not. In one of your other threads you said you wanna make an RPG. A RPG is one of the most complex types of game you can imagine and even small RPGs with a few hours of game play have 1-2 years of development with a small team (3-5 people), yet you are alone.

If you can't learn programming (which doesn't make you a bad person, it's just not everyone is born to be a programmer) give it up, make models and look for a partner who does the programming part and share the profits with him.

31. welby

welby

The OP hasn't posted since he started the thread,..I think it's safe to say he 'gave up' posting here too :p

32. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I'm also curious where you work :)

33. blackdragonstory

blackdragonstory

I was going to say the same thing :)
    If he reads all post he might learn something such as not giving up quickly.
    I forgot what was starting point of this tread.Did he say that soo we would stop him and say:Dont give up!
    Unity forums are starting to get amusing :D

34. by0log1c

by0log1c

For the two of you wondering how I got a programmer's job without real experience: luck got me the job and effort made me keep it.

I've been introduced to HTML in high school and took a year of multimedia in college. I dropped out and got stuck with ridiculously crappy job for a few years. My brother became the first modeller of a new studio just as I got slacked. They offered me a tryout while I had never opened Unity nor really programmed anything in years - I expected to fail miserably - but I spent days reading tutorials and I was able to bring a test scene with the construction worker and a few basic quests written by myself. They saw potential and I'd pretty much do the job for free, so it was a win-win situation. ;)

Its been a year and a half and I'm still the only programmer, I've been raised twice and I work with my brother, thanks to Unity! The unofficial bad news is that I've heard about some studio soon moving to a less-real game engine ... get it?

Fact is, I spent countless unpaid hours practising at home, learning at night what I'd need the next day. I still do this, bringing code from work to home and vice-versa. I work a lot - like over 16 hours in the Unity/.NET environment everyday (read that OP? Its over 9000 ... hours of training to date) . I'm trying to create myself a career, I guess. :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  35. kablammyman

kablammyman

nice. Its always good to see hard work and perseverance pay off. thanks for sharing...maybe you can lend the OP your work ethic? I'm sure this isn't the first thing he quit, and it probably wont be the last.

36. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I love that this thread is about to hit page three and the OP is long gone.

37. Tseng

Tseng

Sadly he isn't, he just trolls/keeps opening other threads :p

38. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Really?! That's IS sad. Who trolls a dev community?

39. songie

songie

<-- started a month ago with 0 programming knowledge (except for some Turbo Pascal (from the 90s) and now i have a character creation system, health, damage, simple combat system a working database hooked up to it to save/load character data.

Lots of staring has been done at an empty Unity Project and Docs, loads of em and its tough, but its rewarding when it finally works.

Op seems to want a Button with a few "Generate Game" sliders mods.

40. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

WHERES THE MAKE ME A GAME BUTTON DAMNIT!!??

/angry noises

41. JRavey

JRavey