Search Unity

I never managed to open correctly ANY of the demo created by unity. What's up with this?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by altepTest, Jun 17, 2021.

1. altepTest

altepTest

Yet, again, lost all morning trying to download and open a demo project created by unity.

Why not zip your project from your computer and put it somewhere on your website and let me download it directly.

git and git large file and code repository and all this fluff.

these demos should make it easy for people that are not experienced with unity to check these projects and learn the basics.

I'm trying to download the URP boat demo.

installed git and a number of other stuff, finally downloaded the project, trying to open it in unity, then:

Annotation 2021-06-17 132910.png

render pipeline unversal cannot be found.

really?

where is it? how do I fix this?

what if you ZIP your project.

then upload it on a blog post or something.

then let me download it and open it.

then I can check the demo and learn something.

Never managed to make it work the demos created by unity. Is like they use a different unity version than the rest of us.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Are you making sure to use the correct version of Unity for the demo? It's best to use the same version that the demo was put together with.

3. altepTest

altepTest

Probably this may be one issue.

I've removed the render pipelines universal package and the projects works but it doesn't quite look the same as in the video on youtube

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unfortunately to run most of Unity's demos you will need to open the precise version it was made in or supports.

This is because Unity's demos are usually made with a bleeding edge version or with packages that have changed a lot since.

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm probably this site's biggest #1 Unity3D fanboy and I just LOVE the Unity3D engine and everything about it.

But I have to agree with OP here. The demo projects, which are the most-obvious first-thing-to-try, are basically universally broken, even when opening with the correct Unity version. It's a complete unmitigated disaster.

An example of the latest one I tried just a month ago: the RPG 2D Learn kit. I used the correct Unity version, I followed the setup steps through Learn, I got it all up and running and guess what, no interactivity!

Turns out they had neglected to put an EventSystem into the scene. HOW CAN YOU OVERLOOK THIS?! How could you even possibly remotely even release such a broken thing?! FIX IT! RE-RELEASE IT! IT'S SOFTWARE!

For me it was trivial: I added an EventSystem and off I was to the races, interacting with the first NPC.

But then I got to another place not 30 seconds later in the game where a dialog came up as I got near a door. Short dialog, no dismiss button, the entire screen blocked by a giant RaycastTarget diimming texture... END OF THE LINE, DEAD IN THE WATER.

Again, this is just seriously sloppy work.

How can you expect an ab initio user to know how to fix any of this stuff?

Somebody needs to check this stuff over because this is driving people away for no reason at all, and those people go on to badmouth Unity! I see it all the time here on the forums, off in Reddit land, all over the internet.

Pass this onto someone who can schedule just a lousy HOUR of QA for each release. It would make a world of difference to this unfolding disaster of endless broken demo packages.

bobisgod234, hippocoder and IOU_RAY like this.