Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I need some opinions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by remembadaname, Mar 20, 2016.

1. remembadaname

remembadaname

In Unity i have been putting together a game i have all the menus and the multiplayer set up but what im wondering about is when youre doing a first person game do you need to have the arms rigged separately of the body or can you have the arms connected to the body and still achieve a good looking game?

Ill provide photos of what i mean:

Which is the proper way to setup a first person character?
    My model is holding the gun. Do i need to have his arms rigged separately?

Attached Files:

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I use a full mesh, although you can just rig the arms only and do it that way.. Just depends, but little things like character shadows annoy the crap out of me when doing arms only.

No, what you'll do is attach the wep to a socket or parent it (in the hierachy). No need to rig arms seperately..

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Arowx

Arowx

I think most games go with just arms, this reduces the chance of the body meshes popping into view when the head cam is turned/tilted.

Kiwasi likes this.
  4. Lee7

Lee7

Full body but split into submeshes, then just just do renderer.shadowCastingMode = ShadowCastingMode.ShadowsOnly; to hide the mesh parts you dont want visible (to avoid clipping issues like Arowx mentioned)

ShadowCastingMode.ShadowsOnly will hide the mesh but still cast the proper shadow. Switch it back to ShadowCastingMode.On; when you switch cameras from FPS view.