Search Unity

I need Rigidbody Character to slide down to the ground.

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Volchok, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Volchok

Volchok

Hello!

Sorry, my English is not so good!

Why person above does not fall down with sliding along capsule collider top (not stable convex surface)?

I set gravity: Physics.gravity = new Vector3(0f, -9.8f, 0f);

I think it should be automatically...

Should I use AddForce(-transform.up) to see falling down or something else?

I seems, Character Controller Component creates this automatically, but I need Rigidbody.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Aristonaut

Aristonaut

If the two people are perfectly lined up, then the top person is standing on a flat surface and will never slide.
    If you put the top person offset a bit, they should slide. If not, then your gravity is probably too weak to counteract the default physics material friction.
    If you want a workaround, you could do it in the collision check. You could make it so that if you land on another person and the collision normal is close to straight up, add a tiny bit of force in some direction.

Volchok likes this.
  3. Volchok

Volchok

Thanks! I increased gravity to 50 and saw sliding and falling... I understood, I could increase gravity, but can not do this more than 50 - character jumps depend on it... I can AddForce() a little bit - good solution! But changing material friction force is the better solution! How can I change friction force of material? In Capsule Collider-->Material? To create Physics Material, set a specific friction force and drop it into this field? Am I right?

Attached Files:

4. Volchok

Volchok

I created Physics Material, set it into Capsule Collider-->Material, set Static Friction and Dynamic Friction to 0... And if I shift a little bit, see fast sliding and falling... Thant is excellent! But I suspect that is not good for characters If they moving on rocks and grounds... Am I right? There is only one good solution - no physic material - just AddForce() if the character stands on the character...

5. Volchok

Volchok

I created checking method on base of Physics.Raycast() and AddForce()... And physics material I use also... The question is closed!

Thank you for your cooperation! ))

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019