Search Unity

I need Level Design Softwares

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DoraemonCrayon, Jan 16, 2020.

1. DoraemonCrayon

DoraemonCrayon

I need software to develop 2D level design, can you list me some software that is available for download?

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What part of the design do you need software for, and what type of game are the levels for?

3. DoraemonCrayon

DoraemonCrayon

For background, middleground and foreground stage mounting for a 2D platform game!

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You can design the levels with a pencil and paper. Actually implementing the levels will depend on how the platform code itself works. Generally the programmer who writes the game, will also provide some means of laying out the levels.

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. Inxentas

Inxentas

Anything that can generate common image formats (JPG, PNG, GIF) can be used as a creative tool to create 2D level graphics. Unity itself has lots of tools (like tilemaps and layers) to implement these into a functional level. I use Photoshop because my dayjob supplies a copy, but you could just as well use GIMP or whatever.

I used this program to create Sprites for a while. It's super simple but that's exactly what I required at some point.
    https://graphicsgale.com/

DoraemonCrayon likes this.
  7. electroprofik

electroprofik

Once a friend made a life simulator of a homeless person, and when he showed ideas for level design, many began to shower with ideas and his vision of one or another part of the level. He sketched all this in a notebook so as not to forget. It's fun and people are happy to help, so take a notebook, beer and go show off to your friends))))

8. TheGaul

TheGaul

This is why I don't like to discuss my games with friends! They always have "helpful" suggestions!

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Those "helpful" suggestions are valuable, though! Don't take them at face value, learn to see the underlying reasons behind suggestions, questions, complaints and compliments. Then, as a designer, decide for yourself what you can do with that information to make your game as good as possible.

10. Inxentas

Inxentas

There's a neasy fix for annoying suggestions... just ask your friend how he would implement that idea and starting talking about coding. I made lots of people leave me alone that way, programming is awesome!

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

You have boring friends if they leave you alone when you talk about programming.