Search Unity

I need help with multiple terrains and one height map.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by no00ob, Jan 4, 2019.

1. no00ob

no00ob

I've made a height map in gimp and tried it out on a terrain with enormous size to see if it looks good and it did, but the problem is that my game uses the new neighbor terrain feature from unity 2018.3 and I don't have one massive terrain I have 16x16 of smaller terrains to form my world, so what would be the best approach to split the height map to "chunks" or something and then assign the correct one to the correct terrain. Or is there a way to assign that one height map to all and scale and offset it to fit. Because I know I can split the height map in gimp to the correct pieces but assigning 256 heightmaps and first manually saving each one individually is gonna be pain in the butt.

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

I think Sectr (AssetStore asset) can split terrains into quadratic chunks, that way you could import one and split afterwards. Only if you needed to re-import the heightmap again afterwards it would cause problems. Not sure if gimp has a splice tool, but i'm somewhat sure that it's scriptable. In the same way you'd batch export them then you can create a script in unity to batch import the chunks (i did something like that, just with photoshop).

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

the first 16 layer 0 , zero height input, sized to whatever, 2nd layer a stamp, from import, position to center, size to fit..done, one stamp overlays all.

4. no00ob

no00ob

Thank for your help guys!

5. univepro

univepro

Hello,

I'm have the same issue and I'm wondering if this ever got resolved and what technique you used to do it? I'm currently trying to build a world with a heightmap I made in GIMP and I want to stamp it across multiple terrains at once. Should I be trying to use the terrain toolbox to do so? Unity doesn't seem to like that I'm using a rectangular heightmap so I'm having trouble using the toolbox.

I tried to turn my heightmap into a stamp, but that didn't work because the stamp is way too small. I couldn't find layers with the stamp terrain option.

No one on YouTube seems to deal with this issue either. I'm hoping some here on the forums has tackled this. Thank you!

6. Flavelius

Flavelius

7. Eagle1Xray

Eagle1Xray

what did you up doing to make this work?