Search Unity

I need help from one of the members of the id @xbox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mohanadGadamse, Oct 10, 2016.

1. mohanadGadamse

mohanadGadamse

i'm new in field of game development , and i have question about the id@xbox program .
    i do not have xbox one console, so if i have create a game for windows 10 can i publish it for the xbox one without testing it in the xbox console ? i'm still not registered yet how long time i need to be registered in the program ? if i'm beginner do i have a Chance to be registered?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Lol. You don't have a chance of getting a game on a console if you aren't willing to test it on the console. Quality requirements from the console owners are high.

Consoles are a relatively tight market. Its still restricted to established studios with a proven track record. So as a beginner you probably don't have a shot.

For an official answer, talk to Microsoft and the administrators of the program. No one here is allowed to give you an official answer. And those in the program typically are under strong NDAs about the program.

3. Rombie

Rombie

How can you publish a game on a specific platform without testing it yourself prior to the official release? If you are seriously planning on a console release you might want to invest purchasing the console; even if it's only to playtest the game you are releasing to ensure the controls and systems work properly.

At some point, either you or a team member will need to play it on a console prior to publishing. So someone will need it.

4. mohanadGadamse

mohanadGadamse

thank you for your answer , but I thought by using the UWP(Universal Windows Platform) , my project will work at all Microsoft echo system , so this why i get this idea . and keep in mind that Microsoft has give the ability to test games in the console recently, from about 6 month from now so how they mange to test it before? (i'm talking about indie developers)

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

True cross platform compatibility is a lie. There is no such thing. It a story sold by platform owners to try and attract developers, and has about as much truth as a US presidential debate. You must test across the range of your target devices. Especially for the XBox, because your are required to pass certain quality tests from the console manufacturer before your game is released.

XBox developers have always been able to test on the device. The real difference now is that you don't need specific permission from Microsoft to run tests on a device. The need to test on device has not changed.

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The program will run, yes. I've got games here I've chucked on my retail Xbox One for playtesting and such. But if you look at the documentation for UWP on Xbox One you'll see that they tell you if you're making a game you can use UWP for testing but that for release you'll have to sign up with ID@Xbox. (Or, at least, that's what it was last time I looked.)

I suspect that they're trying very hard to strike a good balance between giving independent developers access to their platform and retaining a high quality bar and not starting a race-to-the-bottom in terms of pricing.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't really agree with that. I've got a game built for UWP that does indeed run on my phone, my PC and my Xbox. Probably more than one, in fact.

Of course that didn't happen by magic. On my PC I'm supporting keyboard and mouse, on the phone it needs touch support, on the Xbox One it needs gamepad. It doesn't have any save game system, and I assume that would need to follow different rules on different systems. There's probably also varying rules for network access. And none of that even considers differences in computing power or form factor, which I addressed by targeting the "lowest common denominator" for performance considerations.

But those are almost all design things. On a technical level, yes, the same game does run on all of those platforms. It's not a lie. It's just also not a magic "Make Game Work" button. The game works cross platform like that because A) I designed it to and B) it's built on a platform that supports it. A is no good without B, and B is no good without A.

So sure, "cross platform compatibility" is only half of the story, but it's still an important half. ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

In all honesty, though, given this:
    Don't worry about Xboxes. Start by making a simple game for whatever computer you've already got. There's loads to learn there without slowing yourself down by adding the complications of deploying to other devices, platform differences, supporting multiple sets of controllers, and so on and so forth. Most importantly, as a beginner it's ridiculously easy to share your game to get feedback on PC/Mac, where to do the same on a controlled platform there's loads of hoops to jump through.

I understand wanting to see your game on a console. I've been there. It's awesome the first time, I won't deny that. But the question is: do you love making games, or do you love consoles? If it's the former then the platform doesn't matter - that's a bunch of details you can learn later.

mohanadGadamse, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yeah, I exaggerated a little for effect. Most of the work is cross platform. But there is always some work that will need to be done on the specific platform. That should involve at least one comprehensive test.

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. mohanadGadamse

mohanadGadamse

thank you for your advice,you really help me .

angrypenguin likes this.
  11. MV10

MV10

Minor point given the state of OP's understanding, but UWP programs are not the same as actual Xbox programs...