Search Unity

I Need a Shader With Separate Specular Texture

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by w1nterl0ng, Jul 28, 2010.

1. w1nterl0ng

w1nterl0ng

Hi All, I need a material that I can upload a graphic into at run time, usign WWW and uploading a .JPG or .PNG, yet still retain the original Specular Layer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Fred

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

The basic specular shader uses the image's alpha channel as the specularity map. JPG doesn't allow for an alpha channel, but you could use PNG for this.

3. w1nterl0ng

w1nterl0ng

@andeeee I have tried this with no real success. When I save a png from Photoshop, with a specular layer in the alpha channel, on import it makes the material have a funny hue, like all yellow or all red. I will attempt to post an example tonight (central time).

Also, is there a way to store a specular map in the game, and when someone uploads a png without alpha, someone merge the two files and assign that new texture to the material?

Thanks, Fred

4. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

5. w1nterl0ng

w1nterl0ng

@Daniel, I will give that try tonight, if I am understanding you correctly, I can have my static specular map loaded as a 2D array of colors, then load the graphic uploaded by the the user into it's own 2D array, then, loop over the spec map, evaluate the grayscale and apply it to the alpha of the appropriate pixel in the user created 2D array.

I hope that made sense, and I hope it is correct. I will post the code if it works :)

See you all tonight.
    Fred