Search Unity

I need a better way to open UVs and bake textures in unity3d

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by V7_Kuroto, Dec 29, 2022.

1. V7_Kuroto

V7_Kuroto

Hai everyone! We are a team developing for VR and we are searching a method to optmize our work. We create the models in blender/maya, and I would like to make the scene building in unity3d and go on until the end of project (today we already use the engine to export for WebGL and other platforms). For this, I need a way to get these models, combine them, open the UV and bake the textures inside the unity. I tested some plugins like probuilder and mesh/texture baker, but the results are not satisfatory cuz the UV gets a lot of cuts and inconsistents islands (We already got the same type results in unreal engine, those not worked for us). If its possible, anyone knows another way to make this work?? Thanks everyone!!

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

You can do that manually. You're gonna need to implement a replacement for a mesh baker plugin.

The simplest thing you could do is simply building a grid and transferring UV into the grid, t hen manually copying texture data from script (generating new geometry and altering UVs in unity is trivial). This will work but will not result in the most ideal layout. If you want an "ideal UV layout", then, uh, you'd need to research UV unwrapping techniques and maybe pull apart blender plugin for unwrap to see how it works.

Obviously all of this is going to fail if the model is using texture tiling.

V7_Kuroto likes this.