Search Unity

I may have found a way to do dlc...Would this work?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chartinboy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. chartinboy

chartinboy

Hi,

Almost finished a little project to get DLC/Patches etc to work for unity installs.

It's a little insecure...well, really insecure at the moment, but with encryption it could still work, not sure.

Anyway-

On your menu screen, you have an updates/dlc button.

Clicking it checks *Install directory*/dlc/

If it find any folders at all, it looks inside them for "Manifest.txt". If it finds it, it checks inside for a name, date and info, but doesn't read further into the script.

Visually, you get the info obtained from manifest onscreen.

Clicking the button will allow you to run the dlc.

Now-two questions.

Any way at all of having it integrate into the main game (As in, install files and scripts into the main game, so that dlc could be "encountered" ingame, rather than be mostly standalone, also this would allow for patching)

also, is there a way to have a game check where it is installed? No idea how to do that one. (I've been trying to find anyway of doing dlc for a game, or even patching. I can't understand how we can expect profesional quality games to come from unity when it's impossible to patch games post-release...)

2. Mingo

Mingo

To patch your game, release an updated version or use binary diff tools to create a patch.

To support "DLC" use assetbundles or read in your own data file format.

To find the path to the game install, read about the Application class. There are several other functions and variables in there that you'll need for loading external files.

It seems to me like all you've done here is read a text file, which is pretty far from "Almost finished a little project to get DLC/Patches etc to work for unity installs."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. chartinboy

chartinboy

Thanks. Don't assetbundles only support graphics though?

Sorry, didn't explain my idea very well - It then goes on to read a "master" script file, which tells it how to run and what to load. It technically means you can launch the dlc from within your original game, but all it can do is standalone stuff, as it can't integrate with the original, so currently it's pretty much just launching one unity app with another..