Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

I`m done, this is useless

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Wrymnn, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

After collaboration being in beta for years, it is still completely useless. The bigger the project, the worse it`s to work with it.

1. Smallest "modified window" ever

upload_2019-1-21_18-56-44.png
    I mean barely 4 files can fit there, where having 100+ files changed in project renders it completely useless

2. No modified files search
    - not sure if I missed anything, but how to search modified files with mentioned list? How to filter modified files in project window even?

3. Constant disconnects from server, lost connection etc.
    - this happens every time I open & close unity, or just leave unity untouched for several hours, it then starts to connecting to server and tries to "scan" the project for changes, making unity unusable for that duration

4. Old .cs files, missing resources
    - not the first time, this has been reported several years back. I push project into repositary. I try to download the project on another PC. Guess what, it does not run, because several C# files have errors and are still old....same happened with resources, where some were missing, preventing other members from even launching the game

I really cannot comprehend how big teams with big projects can use this. Yes it can real time detect changes on files, but the cons far out-weight the pros

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @Wrymnn,

Firstly, thank you for providing your honest feedback. I have passed this onto the development team.

The Collaborate window is designed to be easy to use for everyone. People new to the software, seasoned professionals, coders, artists, level designers, non technical managers, everyone. If you have suggestions for ways of improving our products and services, we are always happy to hear of them over at our Feedback site. This raises awareness of feature requests for all teams within and outside of Unity. As a coder myself, I think your suggestions around the size of the window and a modified file search or filter would make really great additions to the service.

Without logs it is difficult to say, but Collaborate does require a strong, stable connection to function properly, which could be a possibility for the disconnects you are seeing. We have actually been working on improving and eventually entirely removing the need for the "checking for changes" dialog all together, so this is something to look out for!

This sounds like you are experiencing this known issue. It is my belief that this should be resolved in 2018.3, but we would love to hear from you if this is not the case. Please log a support ticket via the Collaborate section of the Developer Dashboard.

Hope this helps!

3. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Thank you for listening to feedback, even though I ranted bit too much with frustration.

I do not think the window is made easy by making it so small. We have also artists in our team, when they modify dozens of assets, they need to see the changes or search them the same way as programmer would scripts.

Regarding last issue, I am happy you are already aware of this, since it happened with almost all projects on different machines, but nobody seemed to talked about it on forums

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've suspected that Collab (and other Unity services) is developed and tested in an environment with corporate-quality Internet service, but if it's to be useful to the gamedev masses, it needs to handle less reliable connections, like coffee-house wifi, hotel wifi, crappy cable service like mine...

I can tell my cable service is crappy because my devices and other apps do sometimes report connection problems, but generally they recover gracefully and I usually don't have to restart anything. But it seems like Unity just gives up as soon as it runs into a connection problem and the easiest way to recover is to quit and restart Unity. In which case I just decide that's enough Unity for the day and switch to some other non-Unity dev, so my Unity usage has dropped a lot overall. In fact, although I really like the tie-in with UCB, the only reason I'm still paying $9/month for Team Advanced is because my project is too big for bitbucket.