Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I love the seasons...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Nov 21, 2008.

1. taumel

taumel

I've thrown my first snowball this winter, hah! :O)

2. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Sweet! I used to live somewhere that had snow... now I live in Los Angeles. Maybe I'll make a trip up north to catch some of the icy action.

3. R.A.E.

R.A.E.

Weatherreport announced snow for this weekend here, so winter is finally coming.

4. Jessy

Jessy

I almost died on the way home three days ago, when it started snowing, and got to work really late today because of the crappy weather. As soon as I find work somewhere where this crap doesn't fall from the sky, I'm out of here.

(I lived in Florida for the 2005-2006 winter. That was heaven.)

5. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

We had ash falling last week... it looked kinda like snow, but you cant really make a ball out of it. Plus, if you squeezed it too hard, it'd start to turn transparent. :wink:

6. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

Hi, from the other side of the world where toilet flush run the opposite way :D .

Damn.. this summer will be so hot.

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Built a snowman today :D

8. taumel

taumel

Building a snowwoman is more fun and get's more attention as well! ;O)

9. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Seasons? What are those?

10. taumel

taumel

Well, at least there's Vivaldi for you.

11. nickavv

nickavv

It's below freezing every day, but I haven't seen a single snowflake. :(

12. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

I _need_ summer warm weather now!!!

Attached Files:

13. taumel

taumel

Has this been made with Unity? Okay, okay, sorry... :O)

14. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

hehe.. no.. i don`t think unity`s particle system could handle these kinds of scenes :p

15. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Wow... that snow is amazing. I have to go ice climbing in winter in the Sierras to see anything remotely like that.

My comment was a reference to seasons in the Bay Area (which does not include anything as far away as over the hills) being unconventional. For example one could describe them as such:

Spring = Warm, bright, beautiful with occassional rain. Swarms of blue things show up on the beaches for a week. Wildflowers paint the wild places a range of colors.
    Summer = cold and foggy to be broken by occasional days of clear skies, bright sun and warmth - which the fog responds to within a couple days.
    Fall = Fire weather. Heat waves. Earthquakes. Occasional, intense morning fog. One, maybe two rain events - what we call storms. Rich October light in the evening, and a few leaves here and there that bother to change color. Some garden, tomato plants bear fruit throughout the season.
    Winter = Patches of superbly crystal clear days, broken by weather. Occasional frost. Every couple decades some snow. Jan 1st is a great day to take a swim in the Ocean without a wetsuit because for a short time the ambient air temperature can be colder than these waters straight out of the Alaskan gulf. There is a possibility it will be tolerable.

(I only break the above into four groups for your own understanding. The four seasons don't really apply.)

Tourists (which in my eyes includes most of those who did not grow up here) often simplify the above with Summer=Winter, Winter=Late Fall, Spring/Fall=difficult to tell apart.

But in truth I've found that it is rare for any place to have the conventional four seasons. Given that February is typically the coldest month (when comparing average temperatures), I shudder to think that Trondheim's winter has yet to start.

16. Jessy

Jessy

I lived in Florida, and the seasons weren't stereotypical there. But they are in Ohio, and they were in Boston. The February snow likes to completely remove any trace of cars, such as in that previous photo, in these places. The only good thing that comes of this is the inability to drive on roads, which leads to cancelled work and school days. If you're on salary, or not paying for school, that's a-okay! It didn't happen here last year, but the previous year, there were one or two days where it was illegal to be on the road in a vehicle.