Search Unity

I Looked for a weekly Unity newsletter and there wasn't one, so I started my own

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drhmbp, Jul 29, 2016.

1. drhmbp

drhmbp

Hey everyone. I've been developing with Unity since way back around version 3.5 (back when everyone said you couldn't make AAA quality graphics with Unity - amazing how far we've come).

Well anyway, I am a subscriber of a number of useful newsletter for other development things (iOS, Android, Swift, etc.), and thought it would be useful to subscribe to a Unity one. It's really useful to have a curated bunch of interesting links on a topic land in your inbox weekly, incase you miss something cool on Reddit or Twitter, or the Unity blog, or whatever.

But alas there didn't seem to be an active Unity newsletter. So I decided that I might as well start my own. It's been going for four weeks now, and it is also published online.

Check it out here:
    Unity Dev Weekly – The best Unity 3d development links, every Friday

Apologies if the design is a bit ropey, still working on that.

Any feedback graciously received!

Cheers,
    David

2. MV10

MV10

Some good stuff there. Added you to my RSS reader.

3. ippdev

ippdev

Loved the links. Very informative.

4. TJClifton

TJClifton

Looks interesting, count me in :)

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

My new game is extremely UI heavy, and I hadn't seen their guide to optimizing UI before (nor their entire Best Practices category, actually). Thanks for rounding this stuff up.

Subscribed.

6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You know... this reminds me there was a Unity mag created a couple years back by someone around here. Forgot all about it. Haven't heard or seen anything from them in a long time now. They may have tried to do it too professionally and scope of work was too much for them. Not sure.

I like your down-to-earth approach. Basically serving as a Unity tech news content curator. Giving us only links to the best stuff. Great job so far! It's lean & mean focusing only on the essentials which makes it very accessible and usable.

7. Whippets

Whippets

Subscribed.

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

I was thinking the same thing. The magazine guy did have a really good visual presentation, but I have to imagine it was so much work putting it all together that it got to be too cumbersome. This is a straight up, no fluff, here's-a-list-o-links that I can get on board with.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. OliviaBlogger

OliviaBlogger

I also love the link, subscribed.

10. zoran404

zoran404

I guess the content is worth reading, but I think the spacing between the headers and paragraphs can be worked on.
    Also I'm not too found of the default wodrpress theme, but I suppose I shouldn't expect much more from non-programmers.

11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

The content is the whole point here not how perty it looks. He could have put it in a Comic Sans Serif text and it would still have the same value. That value is not found looking at the website design.... it is checking into the information provided. :)

Speaking of content that look into the Japanese pixel art sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out on munch break.

Ostwind likes this.
  12. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I don't think he is trying to make it an artfab futureshock eyegasm. Seems like he's focused on content.

Check out these two news-related sites and their layouts:
    http://www.drudgereport.com/
    https://www.reddit.com/

And this highly unpopular page:
    http://maddox.xmission.com/

Honestly, I like when pages have less fluff and more content. Sometimes I just want information and all the formatting just increases load times and makes stuff screw up more on mobile.

In fact, if anything, he should darken the background for higher contrast and easier reading. Large fonts, standard amount of spacing between lines, all aids readability.

Actually, I would just offer one thing, not a necessity, but it is interesting to note that science has proven that sans-serif fonts like Verdana and Tahoma are easier to read on a computer than serif fonts like Times. Opposite of print. Haha.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  13. Metron

Metron

Added to my feedly

14. Player7

Player7

my opinions on it aswel.. the site theme and formatting need work (way too much scrolling and oversized fonts to skim through) otherwise it could be a useful to check out :)

15. zoran404

zoran404

At least someone got my point

16. drhmbp

drhmbp

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Definitely take the point about the site design.

Yeah, it's just using the default Wordpress theme at the moment. Nothing fancy.

Fonts and spacing are something I have also noticed and will definitely take a look at.

17. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

Hi from 2020. This newsletter/blog ended after 12 issues, unfortunately. Is there anything similar out there?

18. ChazBass

ChazBass

The guy is doing something useful. Why the backhanded criticism? You could have have just put a period after "theme". Be nice.

Metron likes this.
  19. JoNax97

JoNax97

That criticism was made 4 years ago. Read the post dates people

20. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This thread has been reported a few times for being a necro... which it is. But typically we only close threads that are pointless necros. The person reviving this thread knew it was old, and was looking for a modern resources like the one from a while ago. I thought we'd leave it open to see if anyone has any good responses/resources. But please refrain from jumping into a 4 year old discussion/critique. ;)