Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I just got certified!

Discussion in 'Unity Certification' started by Kiwasi, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sounds like a pretty legit cert!

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm not actually sure how useful it will be in the industry. Considering the number of Unity devs in Melbourne, there were very few that got the very yesterday. Will see in time.

Overall the very just indicates 'this guy has opened Unity and made a game before'. It currently doesn't indicate 'this guy is good at making games in Unity.'

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah it doesn't seem like it is going to carry much weight. I guess it's nice to have anyway. Grats on passing =)

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

He's now certifiable....

I probably wouldn't pass at all, despite being alright at Unity.

Teila and OboShape like this.
  6. OboShape

OboShape

Congrats bud :)

7. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

It's a useless certificate that isn't recognized as anything other than exactly what you just said here. It verify's you've opened unity. So dumb.

8. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Congratulations @BoredMormon ! How i has to call you now? Mr., Dr. Certificate ? ;)

I'm far away out of the world. Is there a way to be certificate via web, online?

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

They are doing certifications at the roadshows, if one comes near you. It's not currently available online.

10. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I'm pretty sure all major studios wanna hire you now.

SubZeroGaming likes this.
  11. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I will be in EU Jan 2017. Roadshow?... any idea ?

12. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

RE: the value of certification

A company-backed certificate is a real thing. Obviously it can't measure skill very well -- we've been trying to do that for decades with grades and degrees and are still not great at it. But companies trying to hire for Unity were probably asking for Unity Co. to make a certificate. It's expected. All it says is this person isn't a complete meatball who put "Unity3D" on the resume for fun. But that's a good thing to know.

It might also cut-down on people scamming for UnityAnswers reputation points. They'll just get certified instead.

An example of how they work. When SAP got really hot, companies were advertising like nuts for experts in it, just anyone was applying, and many of them were incompetent opportunists. Costumers complained to SAP, so they created a certification program. All it did was weed out George Costanza, but that was a big help and calmed down users. Things like that are almost a business school case-study now.

Unity is sort of a funny category, though. Game artists and Modelers have been bringing portfolios for decades. You'd hire a Unity artist the same as any other. Hiring programmers has always been tricky, but there are lots of little C# tests already. But maybe you want to hire a producer, or an general intern(?) or a "3D modeler with Unity experience." Or maybe your cigar-chomping boss growls "just make sure they're certified."

For fun, you can google "do I need microsoft certification." That program is not well-liked, but the internet talks a lot about general certification issues. Helps explain how it would be weird if Unity _didn't_ have one.

Pominaus and Kiwasi like this.
  13. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

I got certified last week and I had not the feeling that it was easy.
    Ok I'm not working every day with Unity and english is not my mother language, so this both could be some reasons that it was harder for me.

2 Month ago I was at a Unity delevoper meeting here in Germany and some guys told us also, that it was easy to make the certification. But they also said that there were a lot of bugs in the certification tool. Last week we had no bugs in the tool. So, perhaps I got randomly harder questions or they changed some more things in the tool and made the certification a bit harder.

14. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Me too !! Was not simple for my English but I'm so happy...!

Pominaus likes this.
  15. Pominaus

Pominaus

Congratulations BoredMormon!

I passed in that sitting too :)

Ah validity of industry certs... man those debates always go the same way: People who got their job without one think they're pointless, people looking for a new position see them as a proof of what they know.

It's a little of both. If we can't actually do what this cert says we can, it's useless, and we'll get caught at technical interview. However in a world of a thousand indie devs that are mostly self taught, there is something to having an extra bit of paper that says "I've got half an idea what I'm doing; this mini game example I sent you isn't just something I found on youtube and reskinned, give me a second glance."

Reality is this is the entry level cert - it's just certifying that you can use unity. It isn't that hard, but it also isn't easy. I would say that if you've used unity for at least one 3D game you should be able to get the 70%. That said to get 100% is actually quite hard. I think it's fitting that your score is recorded not just a pass/fail. For example I got 85% - half way between the 70 and 100%'s and I think that's pretty accurate to my level.

theolagendijk and AlanMattano like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

So true.

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm not entirely sure. Passing is a result of knowing the engine. But getting 100% is more a result of doing exams well.

Just about every expert user I know stumbled around the 'which menu do you use to add component X' questions. Primarily because most advanced users add components by using the first three letters in the search box. It's only when starting out that you use the menus to figure out what you want.