Search Unity

I have no idea why but HDRP with VR runs super slow

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by PPreda, Sep 27, 2020.

1. PPreda

PPreda

I would need some help to figure out why I looked at the frame debugger and the cpu, gpu in the profiler but I can't really figure out anything I barely have a few objects in my scene but apparently my gtx 980ti which could run hl:alyx decently can't run this properly.

I tried turning off everything even post processing and still its somehow achieving 24 ms on the render thread.

2. shiki_2022

shiki_2022

maybe you should replace GPU.;)
    Now, i'm developing a VR project. Batches:863, Tris:1.2M. 86~110 FPS.We dont do any special optimize,just baked the scene.And I use GPU 2080S. I meet a big problem is if i use Direct3D12 and enable Ray tracing,i cant run VR.
    I used SteamVR and OpenVR

3. PPreda

PPreda

Well I don't think that is an option for me, and that shouldn't be a problem as I can run high-end new vr releases so when I build my game it should run decent, I have a scalable scene but even when I scale it all the way down or up I get the same performance. I've done optimizations such as only rendering out the shadows of lights when I get close to the tile(tile based map).

Although I could squeeze out a bit more performance and when built I get 80fps but I am not sure if that is stable enough

4. Akshara

Akshara

In my testing of VR in 2020 HDRP 8.2.0 and 10.0.0-preview, running Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit as renderer only (no controller support) on an HTC Vive, a default new scene with a blank 10x10 plane and a single material runs at a 7.4ms loop in the SteamVR performance tool within the headset; meanwhile, a similarly setup scene with the built-in renderer runs at 1.1ms.

It's probably not your graphics card. The HDRP is not production ready, that's just the case of it.

Maybe read the following and see if you want to keep going this way or not.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/can...tem-this-is-absurd.834742/page-2#post-6333861

5. PPreda

PPreda

@Akshara Thanks, I will read it. Also untiy did announce that hdrp is production ready I am pretty sure. I also got pretty angry with how unity handles their things because there are 3 render pipelines but none of them support just the things I need. I looked at the built-in render pipeline but the post processing v2 (with only bloom and color grading) gives me a grey screen with single pass instanced, hdrp gives me bad performance sometimes even on an almost empty scene, urp has a bug that makes my walls have no shadows and after reporting it all I got was "Won't fix". I do need shader graph which is probably replaceable but its just annoying that there is no way to just have it work.

6. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

Problem is the combo OpenVR / SteamVR. We have a project running at 36 fps. If i switch the xr plugin to oculus, and i use a Quest 2 as a device, i get 90 stable fps within the same scene.

7. MDADigital

MDADigital

Alyx is created by a large team everything and I mean everything is optimized. They have even removed every single face that is not seen by the camera to save overdraw and uv2 space.

They use source 2s own version of mixed mode lighting. Which must be alot of faster than unitys counterpart becasue if you have more than one mixed mode light in unity on standard pipeline performance cripples