Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a question about level Unlock

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mahito2932, Feb 10, 2022.

1. mahito2932

mahito2932

Hi everyone.
    I created 5 simple scenes. When I click button next scene it unlock a new scene and save it. I'm using PlayerPrefs for that. But when all the levels are unlocked for example if I click on 3 it makes me restart all the subsequent levels how can I check if levels has already been unlocked so that it not restart all the time all levels unlocked. Any help appreciated.

Next scene

Code (CSharp):
    1. public string nextLevel = "scene2";
    2. public int levelToUnlock = 2;
    4. public void Continue ()
    5.     {
    6.         PlayerPrefs.SetInt("levelReached", levelToUnlock);
    7.         sceneFader.FadeTo(nextLevel);
    8.     }

Level Selector

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Button[] levelButtons;
    3.     void Start ()
    4.     {
    5.         int levelReached = PlayerPrefs.GetInt("levelReached", 1);
    7.         for (int i = 0; i < levelButtons.Length; i++)
    8.         {
    9.             if (i + 1 > levelReached)
    10.                 levelButtons[i].interactable = false;
    11.         }
    12.     }

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Sounds like a bug.

You must find a way to get the information you need in order to reason about what the problem is.

What is often happening in these cases is one of the following:

- the code you think is executing is not actually executing at all
    - the code is executing far EARLIER or LATER than you think
    - the code is executing far LESS OFTEN than you think
    - the code is executing far MORE OFTEN than you think
    - the code is executing on another GameObject than you think it is
    - you're getting an error or warning and you haven't noticed it in the console window

To help gain more insight into your problem, I recommend liberally sprinkling Debug.Log() statements through your code to display information in realtime.

Doing this should help you answer these types of questions:

- is this code even running? which parts are running? how often does it run? what order does it run in?
    - what are the values of the variables involved? Are they initialized? Are the values reasonable?
    - are you meeting ALL the requirements to receive callbacks such as triggers / colliders (review the documentation)

Knowing this information will help you reason about the behavior you are seeing.

You can also put in Debug.Break() to pause the Editor when certain interesting pieces of code run, and then study the scene

You could also just display various important quantities in UI Text elements to watch them change as you play the game.

If you are running a mobile device you can also view the console output. Google for how on your particular mobile target.

Another useful approach is to temporarily strip out everything besides what is necessary to prove your issue. This can simplify and isolate compounding effects of other items in your scene or prefab.

Here's an example of putting in a laser-focused Debug.Log() and how that can save you a TON of time wallowing around speculating what might be going wrong:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/coroutine-missing-hint-and-error.1103197/#post-7100494

3. mahito2932

mahito2932

So shouldn't this be happening? Right?

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Should is a funny word. If you instead mean "I don't intend for this to be happening," sure, that's reasonable.

I'm sure that when you complete your investigation, you will discover there is an actual reason that it is happening this way and you will have solved the issue.

5. mahito2932

mahito2932

What I'm trying to understand precisely. My project is completely empty I only contain these two scripts I wrote here and buttons that everything works fine. On the logs it doesn't give me any kind of error or warning. I did the build on both pc and android no kind of errors or warnings. But whenever i click on previous scene It restart again and start from this scene

6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Somewhere you are reading the saved state and making a decision about what level to launch.

GO THERE NOW... put Debug.Log() statements and find out why the result is surprising to you.

I cannot do this for you. Nobody here can.

7. mahito2932

mahito2932

I already tried Debug.Log and It show that everything work fine as It should.
    I tried to recreate a new empty scene with the same two scripts but result still the same.

Updated edit:
    Okay i just added PlayerPrefs.Save(); now It work

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022