Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a blank inspector panel

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by pp3, Jan 12, 2017.

1. pp3

pp3

I am trying to follow the Roll A Ball tutorial on this site. I have created the project and added a plane(ground). The next step was click on the gear icon in the inspector panel but my Inspector panel is blank! what can I do?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Sahilraje likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Check to make sure you have the appropriate object selected. A blank inspector usually means nothing is selected.

3. mgear

mgear

its also possible to have folder/file selected in project window, and had accidentally pressed the lock icon..
    then inspector is almost empty too.

check that the lock is unlocked
    upload_2017-1-12_11-43-56.png

4. patrbr126

patrbr126

Sorry to be a pain but this is my first go at this and I have the same problem - how do I make sure that I have the appropriate object selected - I have clicked both right and left on to various areas of the project and no inspector tab comes up and no gear icon? can you help - thanks.

Sahilraje likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Can you show us a screen shot?

Normally just clicking on the GameObject of interest in the hierarchy window will bring it up in the inspector.

6. patrbr126

patrbr126

7. patrbr126

patrbr126

Thanks for having a look at this.

Sahilraje likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're just missing the Inspector tab. It's trivial to add it back. Click Window then click Inspector (or hit CTRL-3 or CMD-3 depending on whether you're on Windows or macOS). After the Inspector window has opened click and drag the tab from that window to where you want the Inspector to be.

Sahilraje likes this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Lol. That's a new one I didn't think of.

You can also use the layout dropdown in the top right to set things back to one of the defaults.

Sahilraje, ZaydJardien and patrbr126 like this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Right, but I feel like if they removed it they were likely setting up a custom layout (after all the Inspector panel is there by default in every layout) and want it to be laid out a certain way.

Sahilraje and patrbr126 like this.
  11. patrbr126

patrbr126

Folks thank you both so much I have now got the inspector tab which is great news - I can now get on with this tomorrow before work - Big Thanks!:)

Sahilraje likes this.
  12. Seych

Seych

Thanks so much everyone was so helpful :)

Sahilraje likes this.
  13. y2k_elder

y2k_elder

I had this problem too, first time user, running tutorials.

Inspector tab was blank for everything I clicked, not even the properties specified in the tutorial were preset. I clicked on the "..." widget and "Normal" was selected. I selected "Debugging" and a whole bunch of stuff showed up. I re-selected "Normal", and then there were properties that were not there before, the tab looks correct now. I had to do this every time I selected something, switch to "Debug" and back to "Normal", which was unworkable. I even closed the tutorial tabs, closed and re-opened Unity Hub and the problem persisted.

When I closed the Inspector tab and re-opened from the Window menu, it started working ok.

I suspect that the Tutorial is to blame, and that it is a bug. I think the Tutorial is trying to simplify the panel but instead is causing a fubar condition. So if you are using the tutorials and have this problem, try to just close and re-add the tab.

14. narraboth

narraboth

THANK YOU! It was driving me crazy!
    By the way I wasn't working on the tutorial, but a different project. It could be a new bug.

15. colorido3835

colorido3835

Has someone reported it yet?

NullOverrideX and CloudyVR like this.
  16. dgromanis

dgromanis

I'm having a similar problem but the solutions above aren't working - I'm in the Animator clicking on a Grounded state but nothing is appearing in the Inspector window. Like, nothing at all. Any ideas? I'm using Unity 2019.3.15f1 Personal for Mac. Very annoying, as the tutorial I'm following requires me to change a selection in the Inspector :(

Attached Files:

17. medialabgames

medialabgames

I have exactly the same problem as dgromanis above. (PC Unity 2019.4.2f1) Nothing in the inspector panel (ie. no parameters, blank no matter what I select) and nothing I do will make it work. I too am trying to follow a game jam official You Tube tutorial. To be honest I really think the whole tutorial side is a mess. There are many things that are wrong; menu items do not match the tutorials, locations of things are completely wrong (most likely referring to older versions) and a lot of me progressing has been complete guesswork. I am a developer by trade so it isn't as though I've never seen a computer before.

unnanego, dgromanis and pjohnstone like this.
  18. pjohnstone

pjohnstone

I'm having the same issue as @dgromanis and @medialabgames: When selecting an animation state in the Animator window the Inspector window is completely empty. Unity 2020.2.0a17

In the Inspector window, both Normal and Debug mode is empty, and switching back and forth between the two does not make any difference.

Attached Files:

unnanego and HiperThi like this.
  19. JamesInGreerSC

JamesInGreerSC

Same issue as above. Animator has a completely blank inspector. Nothing tried has worked :(

unnanego and HiperThi like this.
  20. pbritton

pbritton

I have encountered the same problem. It works with some clips but others are blank.

I solved my problem by changing this flag to one.
    m_ObjectHideFlags: 1
    It was three previous. This was done in a text editor. I located the AnimatorState and change the property. I am not entirely sure if this fix could break other things.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  21. Reahreic

Reahreic

This happens to me often when i'm using a custom editor or property drawer. (More-so for scriptable objects than any other object type) The inspector just fails to draw. It's seemingly random and takes a few clicks on other items then back to the original item to bring it back. That or switch to the lighting tab then back to the inspector tab.

No errors, logs or warnings are ever thrown and often the content of the object hasn't been changed either. I've never been able to identify a cause.

22. n8dev_yt

n8dev_yt

This was my issue, thanks!

23. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

What version of Unity did this solve your issue for?

I have same exact issue in Unity 2019.4.6f1 - my tab is non-responsive and repeating those steps exactly has no effect, closing and re-adding the inspector window but it remains frozen.

Can someone please help?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  24. n8dev_yt

n8dev_yt

2019.4.1, I would try just restarting your computer

25. HeissenBergei

HeissenBergei

I can not see the inspector panel too
    what shall I do please help me

26. Schneider21

Schneider21

@HeissenBergi: You shall select Window → General → Inspector (or ⌘3 on macOS) and then dock the panel where you like. Alternatively, you can change your Layout to one of the built-in schemes (all of which show the Inspector by default) using the dropdown in the top right of your Editor.

27. Reahreic

Reahreic

Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.

(Your reply made me smile lol)

Schneider21 likes this.
  28. unity_Y9j4Se7VfnZItg

unity_Y9j4Se7VfnZItg

Just click on game object and then select cube, inspector panel will show with all required parameters, i have solved this. Because for inspector panel we need any game object creation.

29. Gamertron106

Gamertron106

I am learning Unity as well and encountered the same problem, but I have figured out a temporary fix.
    Next to the padlock there is a menu, in the menu there is a button labeled "Debug", clicking that (or the button named "Normal" if you are in Debug mode already) after selecting an item will solve the problem. However, you have to do this every time you select something so I would recommend finding another fix.
    Hope it helps!

30. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

This has already been mentioned in previous posts. Though it does force the inspector to re-draw it is not a solution as the inspector Thread is still dead.

I will say that if attempting to continue developing while leaving the inspector in a broken state has only caused me to make changes to the wrong objects - the object I thought I had selected was instead just the frozen inspector - many times causing me make changes to the wrong object (sometimes without noticing!!). This bug has got to go..

[EDIT]
    Still present in 2019.4.16f1

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    ninjacowzx likes this.
  31. shatteredfriend7

shatteredfriend7

I'm having the same issue with inspector panel. My solution to this is closing the project and reopening the project. It's getting tedious to do. Is there any fixes? I haven't tried debugging when it happens.. maybe that will fix it. I'm running macOS 11.0.1 with an intel i7, 16gigs of ram and both a integrated and dedicated graphic card.

Airmouse and CloudyVR like this.
  32. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Not sure if this solves the issue but I wrote a script that toggles the 'inspector mode' when new objects are select in the scene. That way it works just like changing the mode to Debug and back again but is fully automated and gives the effect of completely restoring the Inspector:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// This toggles the inspector mode whenever a new scene object is selected.
    3. /// This can be used to partially restore inspector windows to a working state after
    4. /// random Unity editor glitching has occured and all inspector windows are unresponsive.
    5. /// It's important that FixDeadInspector window be visible somewhere in the Editor for this to work!
    6. /// </summary>
    7. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    8. using System;
    9. using System.Reflection;
    10. using UnityEngine;
    11. using UnityEditor;
    12. public class FixDeadInspectors : EditorWindow
    13. {
    14.     [MenuItem("Glitches/Fix Dead Inspectors")]
    15.     static void Init()
    16.     {
    17.         FixDeadInspectors window = (FixDeadInspectors)GetWindow(typeof(FixDeadInspectors));
    18.         window.minSize = Vector2.zero;
    19.         window.Show();
    20.     }
    22.     private int lastComponentCount;
    23.     private GameObject lastActiveGameObject;
    24.     void OnInspectorUpdate() //whenever the user adds or removes a component to the active object
    25.     {
    26.         if (lastActiveGameObject == Selection.activeGameObject)
    27.             if (Selection.activeGameObject != null)
    28.             {
    29.                 var componentCount = Selection.activeGameObject.GetComponents<Component>().Length;
    30.                 if (componentCount != lastComponentCount)
    31.                 {
    32.                     lastComponentCount = componentCount;
    33.                     ToggleInspectorMode();
    34.                 }
    35.             }
    36.     }
    38.     void OnSelectionChange() //whenever a scene object is select refresh the inspector
    39.     {
    40.         lastActiveGameObject = Selection.activeGameObject;
    41.         if (lastActiveGameObject == Selection.activeGameObject)
    42.             if (Selection.activeGameObject != null)
    43.                 lastComponentCount = Selection.activeGameObject.GetComponents<Component>().Length;
    44.             else
    45.                 lastComponentCount = -1;
    46.         ToggleInspectorMode();
    47.     }
    49.     void ToggleInspectorMode()
    50.     {
    51.         EditorWindow[] allWindows = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll<EditorWindow>();
    52.         foreach (var targetInspector in allWindows) //for all windows in the editor
    53.             if (targetInspector != null  && targetInspector.GetType().Name == "InspectorWindow") //only for inspector windows
    54.             {
    55.                 Type type = Assembly.GetAssembly(typeof(UnityEditor.Editor)).GetType("UnityEditor.InspectorWindow"); //Get the type of the inspector window to find out the variable/method from
    56.                 FieldInfo field = type.GetField("m_InspectorMode", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance);    //get the field we want to read, for the type (not our instance)
    58.                 for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++) //toggle the InspectorMode
    59.                 {
    60.                     InspectorMode mode = (InspectorMode)field.GetValue(targetInspector); //read the value for our target inspector
    61.                     mode = (mode == InspectorMode.Normal ? InspectorMode.Debug : InspectorMode.Normal); //toggle the value
    62.                     MethodInfo method = type.GetMethod("SetMode", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance); //Find the method to change the mode for the type
    63.                     method.Invoke(targetInspector, new object[] {mode}); //Call the function on our targetInspector, with the new mode as an object[]
    64.                 }
    65.                 targetInspector.Repaint(); //refresh inspector
    66.             }
    67.     }
    68. }
    69. #endif
    I developed this script in roughly 20 minutes - after more than 80 hours of lost time during the past year due to this Unity glitch..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    HiperThi likes this.
  33. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Hi, this sounds interesting but can you please elaborate what do you mean by this?

"/// It's important that FixDeadInspector window be visible somewhere in the Editor for this to work!"

Thanks.

34. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Basically the tab must always be in the foreground to react to selection changes in the editor. If the tab is not in the foreground then it would not force the inspector to update.

If the FixDeadInspectors window is undocked without any other tabs then it will always be in the foreground and should force inspector updates:

When the window is docked but not part of any other tabs then it will always be in the foreground and should force inspector updates:

Note in this configuration the tab height can be adjusted to zero so it takes little space in the editor and still updates in the foreground.

However if the window is placed as part of other tabs then it may be sent to the background and will no longer update with unity editor selection changes. So this configuration would not force inspector to update:

So the body of the FixDeadInspectors editor window must be visible (*even zero height) at all times..

But maybe someone knows how to listen for
    OnSelectionChange
    events without needing to create a EditorWindow??

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    HiperThi and WaqasGameDev like this.
  35. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Brilliant. Thanks for making this and also for explaining it to me in such detail. I am gonna test it.

36. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Yes I confirm your solution works very well. I could not know even when my inspector got frozen and it was your script which was redrawing inspector and was saving me from headache. But then suddenly I selected a prefab Asset (I don't know the exact name it is similar as HDRP RENDERPIPELINE ASSET or URP ASSET.) Image attached. When I selected such an asset, inspector got frozen again. I don't know much about editor scripting so may be you can fix this in your code so that it works for such situations as well. Thanks.

Attached Files:

37. ninjacowzx

ninjacowzx

This worked for me

38. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Apparently holding "V" or "shift" and dragging over an empty area in the viewport fixes the inspector!

39. darkAbacus247

darkAbacus247

It very much does, as suggested by pixeleif in thread

I've already saved who knows how much time... Extremely frustrating bug, specially at first when you haven't quite figured out what's happening.

Thankful as I am for pixels fix, automated would be better :) I'll probably check this out too.

You should send to unity, maybe they'd take notice. We can't be there only set of users running into this

40. blackshtormx

blackshtormx

41. Airmouse

Airmouse

My inspector just keeps freezing, I am using 2019.4.28f1 so the bug still exists in very recent editors. I suspect that many users are experiencing this bug because it happens to me on all three of my PCs like 15 times a day. And on all versions of Unity 2019!! I have not used 2020 but assume it is just as bad.

What is the logic behind keeping this bug in the mainstream? Is no one worried about this?

Thanks to @trappist-1 for a solution, but wow I can't believe the solution is just a strange as the bug.

If Unity hopes to compete with UE then by not addressing these kinds of weird behaviors is definitely giving Epic a huge advantage!! UE have superior rendering quality and their editor does not act weird.

Please fix this weirdness !!

Malbers and CloudyVR like this.
  42. pilz3d

pilz3d

I have the same problem, inspector stays empty Iam using Unity 2020.2.0f1
    Tried everything
    Please fix this!

43. Christin2015

Christin2015

Works apparently in 2020.3.

44. MaxCrawshaw

MaxCrawshaw

i just pressed ctrl d then ctrl sfor some reason this worked

yael-sagi likes this.
  45. Yasmindavid90

Yasmindavid90

does it work in 2021.... site

46. unnanego

unnanego

Have the same problem on windows on 2020.3.32 in an animator controller on state nodes that have a transition - they also can't be moved and you can't make a new transition in normal mode - works ok in debug mode. If I remove transitions from a node, inspector shows properly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  47. max974

max974

Thank you so much!
    After all these years, the Unity devs were not even able to take 20 mins solving this issue.
    Community > Unity devs.

CloudyVR likes this.
  48. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Stuff like this is kind of why I pretty much gave up on Unity 6 months ago in favour of Godot Game Engine.

CloudyVR likes this.
  49. tompainter123

tompainter123

hey Unity somehow 'm still getting this bug in the LTS 2022.3.10f1 ?
    dragging in the scene viewport "fixes" it

CloudyVR likes this.