Search Unity

I Hate Clowns (3DU Entry)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MatthewW, Dec 18, 2006.

1. MatthewW

MatthewW

Here's a WIP screen of our 3DU entry, I Hate Clowns: Operation Pie Gones

The 3DU contest actually started up around the same time that we were evaluating various engines, so it was a good opportunity to test out Unity. It's always so much nicer to have a goal for these kinds of things, rather than simply playing around with the tools.

I started work on this in earnest about two weeks ago. I'm doing the programming, and a friend whipped up all the art.

The game itself is a simple physics game--you throw metal pies at ragdoll clowns. It's surprisingly fun for what it is.

We're most interested in developing higher-end games with Unity, so that's what we're testing here. I'm a little worried that our system requirements will cause problems with the competition, but our primary concern is testing Unity to see if it matches our development needs (although the free Pro license would be awfully nice--our company is my apartment and my friend's adjacent apartment next door...we don't exactly have a lot of money to spare).

Look for a build later this week!

2. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Looks awesome Matthew! I can't wait to play the new and improved version!

aiieyyyyeee!! (ooh take that clowney!)

3. drJones

drJones

looks sharp - can't wait to hear that psychotic giggling again ; )

4. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Haha, very cool. Slick graphics, looks pretty good overall just from the screenshot!

5. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

the screen has a very nice feel to it. cant wait to play around with the webby

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

But I wanna play it now! :D Your game is looking very good, nice work!

7. taumel

taumel

I like the clowns! They kind of remind me of NOLF2... :O)

8. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

I like the way your clown looks, been trying to make one my self but can't get the darn thing right.

Anyway, my clown wanted to mug your clown. Maybe because he does not like wearing a spandex pants. Hmm.. maybe I should allow him to show some legs....some hairy legs?

Attached Files:

9. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

10. MatthewW

MatthewW

11. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

One of my top fun games I've played from the Unity Engine! Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. Pretty polished too.

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thanks for sharing the build, fun game and I love the clown laugh! I just gave it a quick play and it runs great and plays well, I'll give it some more time later as well. :)

13. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I just love the sounds. Nice polish too.

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I love clowns! That is some seriously polished game for two weeks of work.

15. taumel

taumel

Yep, very well done.

A few things:

a) The levels are way too short.
    b) Did you ever consider rotating the scene - maybe going up and down too in order to provide some different views for the game? The whole game would feel much more alive in my opinion and it could be more challenging if the structures are physically recognized then (obstacles).
    c) Obviously you could add a lot of further circus attractions to the game in order to make the levels more unique.
    d) Where are some clown waves? :O)

Regards,

taumel

16. MatthewW

MatthewW

Thanks for the feedback!

b) Yeah--post-contest, we'll probably throw some other environments in there, as well as some different angles on them.

c) The artist gave me a bunch of circus props to implement, I just haven't had time for the contest :(

d) Clown waves? You mean various patterns in which they spawn? I'd like to have some swing in on trapezes, drive in on clown cars, and other various means of entry (rather than the skeet-shoot launch they have going on now).