Search Unity

I had two Alerts, then I click to read them but get: "You do not have any recent alerts."

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Airmouse, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Airmouse

Airmouse

Unity website just said I had two alerts. Then I clicked on the little red notification box to read them but Unity website told me "You do not have any recent alerts.". Where did they go? What were they? I would really like to know.

Who decided that alerts should expire anyway? I don't use this site often but when I do I would like to catch up and see any responses to my questions. However your policy makes it impossible unless I visit the site often.

This has happened in the past to me twice, and it makes me not want to participate here, and is very frusturating knowing someone was reaching out with an answer or maybe even liked something I wrote. But now I will never know.

How can I see what those two alerts were? Thankk you

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    BuzzKirill likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

3. Airmouse

Airmouse

Yes, I just clicked that link and the list contains only one notification - saying that you just responded to this post. The two supposed alerts from earlier are not present there. Can I see any history or are those two alerts just gone forever?

Could I possibly bother a moderator to retrieve them for me?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Do you have multiple tabs open? If you viewed the alerts on one tab they will still be shown on the other tab until that tab is refreshed.

5. Airmouse

Airmouse

No, I was using a new laptop with firefox, and I logged into my account after a few weeks of inactivity.

Only one tab open, I remember because it was early morning and I had just gotten a coffee and sat down to look at any Unity activity that has accumulated.

I guess the Unity webframework thought I had notifications to review (small red square w/ white numbers) then when I clicked on the small red numbered square it forwarded me to a page and said I had no notifications.

My guess is there are rogue database entries on your servers, one that holds the text, and another that holds integer value of how many notifications are pending. Someone wrote in logic to erase pending text entries but forgot to modify the integer entries for pending.

Why do they disappear at all? What is the max time a notification text will remain in your system so I know how often I "must" visit the site in order to not be denied a single notification?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

This happens to me as well, from time to time. I think these notifications are about posts made by people I put on my "ignore" list.

7. Airmouse

Airmouse

I do not ignore anyone though..

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, maybe that's not the reason then. :)

Airmouse likes this.
  9. Airmouse

Airmouse

This keeps happening!! I wish I could know which posts I've missed..

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  10. Patrfre

Patrfre

This doesn't belong here this is for Unity game engine support not the forum support

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

It happened to me this morning: I had four alerts but only three visible posts when I expanded them.

And this thread definitely needs to be moved to the right section. I report it.

12. Airmouse

Airmouse

Thank you for Reporting my thread.

--

This just keeps happening, today I had alerts, but when I went to check it said I was "caught up".

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  13. Airmouse

Airmouse

I had 4 alerts today, when I go to check them I get "You have no new alerts."

Why does this keep happening?

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Do you have some forums on watch enabled?
    Try check out watched tab (top left).

My thought is, if you watch some forums, maybe there is a spam, which has been removed. But is triggered your alert counter.

15. Airmouse

Airmouse

just logged in today and saw many alerts, I click Alerts and it says "You have no new alerts."

How can you have pending alerts notification if you haven't any alerts in the inbox? Is it faulty Unity database design or am I just not using the website correctly?

16. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

Also very annoyed by this. I don't log into here often, and some threads get important answers literally YEARS after they're created. It's useless to show I have had alerts some time in the past and then never actually show what those messages were.