Search Unity

I found a discord where a ton of Unity Devs hang out! Its been awesome so far!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denchyaknow, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denchyaknow

Denchyaknow

I was looking for a Discord bot that can work with unity but, then I found something magical. Its a Discord server dedicated to Unity Development.
    For those of you that do not know, Dscord is a chat/voip client of sorts with its own web and desktop client, be sure to download the destop client so you can always collaborate with all the dev one there!
    When you first get in you will see alot of text channels and a bunch of people to the right. Your able to choose to represent your forte by asigning yiur self a role, I went with Coders my self.
    People have been friendly so far, Ive just been adding ti random conversation and even started some of my own and Ive been learning so much its crazy. I even got invited to do some networking for a studio, and in that studio I found tons more artists that were starving for coders haha, the amount of networking I was able to do over the weekend was almost like I went to GDC or Unite and started handing out business card.

Theres even Unity/Game development related podcasts going on the the voice channels, I hope one day they start doing interviews there. *Drools*

So come check it out and talk to me about object spooling, Ill show my code if you show me yours xD.

We are over 200+ Devs strong right now and average about 20 new devs a Day. LETS ALL MASTER UNITY TOGETHER WOO!

https://discord.gg/qErjpDK

2. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

There's nobody online

Polywick-Studio likes this.
  3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

How do they get anything done if they spend their time online chatting?

Ah! That's how. Ok. :)

dogzerx2 and Deleted User like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So what makes these things better then our existing community here?

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's New™

tswalk likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Discord is real-time and supports voice. That's not necessarily better but it does bring different ups and downs.

McMayhem likes this.
  7. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I joined, hopefully it turns out as cool as you make it sound :p

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Same. I'm sufficiently bored to check it out. :p

LMan and MD_Reptile like this.
  9. QFSW

QFSW

Wait, is that a dark theme for personal edition users I see?

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Why do they need to be compared at all

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

They don't really. The question I was asking is essentially "Why should I try out discord?". I have a pretty decent social platform here already.

KnightsHouseGames likes this.
  12. QFSW

QFSW

Imo real time chatting would offer a different experience

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Activity so far has been pretty low. It may just be the time of day or the fact that people are actually working on their projects but there were almost no actual conversations going on. At least publicly.

QFSW likes this.
  14. QFSW

QFSW

pfft, i'm totally working on my project...
    just a really long coffee break...

Master-Frog, LeftyRighty and Kiwasi like this.
  15. Denchyaknow

Denchyaknow

Most people that are new to discord misunderstand how the GUI works ( I went through it aswell) but the menu on the right are all the names of people who are online, I have never seen a point in time where there was no one online lol. We are always either at work, or working on unity projects because we are unity devs of course, but the fact its all in realtime makes getting responses so much more dynamic, I can say help with *blah* in the chat and maybe I want get a response for an hour but when someone does respond and I hear that bloop, we start talking causing more bloops on everyone els's discord, before you know it all devs are talking and no work is getting done lol... it's interesting... I still use all other communities as well, this one is just similar to texting i guess.
    upload_2016-8-8_16-41-43.png

GarBenjamin likes this.
  16. xjjon

xjjon

Looks fun so far, will check it out

17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ah you know it has rarely occurred to me to ask other people for help. Sometimes I do have Unity specific questions and experiment then Google them. If nothing found I post on these forums. Actually just did that recently twice. One was answered. The other not yet as far as I know. Really need to check the thread. Maybe put a watch on it.

But these are not show stopper things. More of Unity curiosities. There is so much in this thing that I think most people do not know. One of the questions I asked recently was about a disable option for the auto-recompile. I received several different answers all involving some degree of complexity. Then @Ony said basically ummmm... does nobody know about this option right here to disable that? lol

Basically you use this thing as a sort of Expert System.

Ony likes this.
  18. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I have generally found that if I feel the temptation to post here, I just remember the times I have asked and how it turned out, and I just search a little harder. Generally speaking, asking here is less than useless. Answers is o.k. at best. Documentation holds the real answers, if you can navigate to the part you need (you can't). Unity Learn and YouTube videos are the real champions of useful info.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's debatable depending on the portion you're reading. Some parts of it are just atrocious.

Ony and McMayhem like this.
  20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Correct me if I'm wrong, is Discord a somewhat more voice oriented slack?

21. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Thanks for the info - I didn't know Discord, it seems very well made.

22. Denchyaknow

Denchyaknow

Voice and text, this server is 90% text channels and 10% voice lol there is a music channel for development but that's about it.

Alex_TNT and AcidArrow like this.
  23. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

24. Ostwind

Ostwind

Not sure whats the need to push it so often here if it's not even for the voice use? For text chat Unity Slack already has almost 1k members including bunch of UT devs.

edit: There could be one sticky thread with all these places collected in one post

25. landon912

landon912

Slack now has voice chat too. It would be nice to have a unified group, but I think both can still provide unique environments for different people.

26. Ryiah

Ryiah

I've been trying to get onto it for a while now but the site that supposedly sends an invite hasn't worked for me yet.

landon912 likes this.
  27. Ostwind

Ostwind

You mean the page does not open or it does not send the mail?

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

It doesn't send me the invitation email.

29. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

@Ryiah send me your email and i can forward it off to people who i know are admin that are already in the slack group

30. landon912

landon912

Not working for me either.

31. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

I've seen cemeteries livelier than that place :I

32. AndreasU

AndreasU

Considering the flood of Discord channels popping up, i wonder, is Discord paying for getting users to their system now? Like ad revenue or something?

Because i have a fool proof idea or two for a channel about such or that poopoo.

And additionally, a 3rd Unity channel cant hurt, could it?

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. They're just completely free and it's attracting people.

34. Tzan

Tzan

The more you split up a community the less likely you are to get a question answered.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  35. xjjon

xjjon

What times have you checked it out? Been on during the workouts (eastern time) and there are few convos going on usually. Quiet on weekends?

36. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

What kind of conversations are we talking about?

Like actual real game development discussions where people are getting into the nitty gritty details of what they are doing, experiments they are running, like stuff with real meat to it?

Or just the normal nonsense we find here on the forums like mainly a bunch of debating trivial things and discussion about graphics and so forth?

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Since I joined the conversations on Slack have largely been people asking quick questions and getting short replies.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  38. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ah Twitter for game devs.

39. neginfinity

neginfinity

I am not sure that such place even exists on the internet.
    So it is probably the second option you mentioned.

Kiwasi and GarBenjamin like this.
  40. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Of course it does. It's just invite only.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  41. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I don't use discord like I do the forums. Discord for me is collaborating with people who might be a part of a project I'm working on, or potentially people I'm playing some game with.

I joined the unity discord posted here, and it seems cool, big chunk of active users it seems, although I'm not seeing anybody active in voice channels of any kind. I haven't really been on there but once or twice because I'm usually doing something when I'm at my pc besides instant messaging.

I use the unity forums like a hub of posting info about projects I'm creating to get some eyes on it and hear critical feedback, or to seek help with a difficult problem too complicated for unity answers, or I'll post simpler straightforward problems on unity answers to solve those head scratching little issues.

So using both these social platforms causes no interference with my use of the other I suppose is what I'm getting at.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  42. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I am beginning to wonder if this is actually the case. I once was on a forum of C game programmers and it was actually very focused on the real in-the-trenches work. Many years ago now and I don't even remember where it was.

Anyway, looking at @Master-Frog 's comment and yours makes me think perhaps this really is the way to go about it. I'd just be more interested in a smaller more focused community. All folks who have and are actually making games. Just working on their games, sharing their challenges, brainstorming solutions and so forth. Sort of a Master Mind Group with a bit of the accountability partner factor thrown in. I suppose in some ways kind of like some bits of what we have around here combined with some things we don't.

The closest thing to it right now is private conversations with the people who are actually working on games around here. And that does work quite well and maybe that is the start to such a thing. All I know is I find the posts focusing on actual game development including dev logs and post-mortems to be the most interesting.

If anyone ever finds such a thing out there on discord, slack or whatever in heck name it is under let me know.

And now I need to get back to work on my mini roguelike sorta thing.

43. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Problem is when most developers are actively getting S*** done, they turn up their music and work. I got quite a few slack channels of various developers, and it seems to same for them all, people are focusing on work or they are giving their brain some time to rest, and are likely going to talk about more casual stuff.

44. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only to find out they're too busy wasting time on the forums to be working on a game at the moment? :p

GarBenjamin likes this.
  45. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ha ha! No, this is more like right now I am just throwing up a screenshot showing work has been done. And likewise, updates will come in to show work has been done elsewhere as well.

Of course, it is all casual informal and sometimes work just doesn't get done. Like this entire weekend I got hit hard with a stomach bug or some similar foolishness and did absolutely nothing at all since Friday night until this evening. But it happens. :)

That being said I sometimes do wonder how many people on the forums actually are making games. lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Ryiah likes this.
  46. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

This. This is something that crosses my mind a lot as I lurk around here. Then again by lurking around here rather than working, I suppose I'm contributing to that somewhat haha.

GarBenjamin, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Lately I've been wasting entirely too much time on these forums and on Reddit. Slack has the advantage that I can just minimize the application and only check it when the tray icon updates. Or if I'm away and activity has happened I can open it up, scroll up a ways, and read what I missed.

About the only productive things I've done lately have been starting to assemble a newer laptop from parts (a Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1 which has a built-in Wacom digitizer, is a 2-in-1 so it'll function as a tablet, and has a twelve hour battery life) and started experimenting with an edge shader off the asset store.

GarBenjamin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.