Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

I fixed Unity's home page :P

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mQe, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Technologies

Which features does it lack?

2. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Do you have any suggestions? :) What 'generic' shaders should we add to the already built in library that comes with Unity? Admittedly, we can't really add any very specific or very niche shaders.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

Basic PBR based skin and hair shader isn't niche at all :p
    I'm struggling something that does all skins correctly though, light diffusion seems to be an issue on darker skin with solution I bought.

mQe likes this.
  4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey!! I actually think we're getting so picky here ... But human nature is like that, we always want more.

Reflective shader form Adam Part one. it's mind-blowingly good. Really impacts the scene's photorealism.

Everything in that animated short is amazing and so professional ... the reflections, the smoke, the volumetric lights, etc.

---

Sub surface scattering would be nice. For organic stuff.

---

Admittedly, I don't know if these shaders are actually troublesome in some way. Maybe they only look good under certain conditions, so people would start complaining a lot, and ultimately it's better that people deal with it themselves.

But if they work well, and it comes out the box, it would really improve average quality of everyone's stuff.

5. mQe

mQe

Dude, you should know. Get some more experience working in game development with money involved, start using as many engines as you possibly can. The fact that you ask this and act all defensively about the shaders people ask about is kind of blowing me away right now. Buy particle playground 3 and start there. Download UE4 and look at cascade for even more features, take a look at cryengine while you're at it, their particle editor looks pretty good too although I've never played around with it. Then there's Popcorn FX and 3dsmax's node based particle editor. Just the stuff that I could think of right now that could give you an idea on how to improve/add features and improve user friendliness.

It's not a personal attack, we like Unity, we want to see it succeed.

Deleted User and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  6. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Duude, something like popcorn fx builtin Unity would be amazing!!

7. mQe

mQe

You can export from popcorn fx to unity, but yeah would be neat if you could do it directly in unity :D

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Doesn't that require a $250 plugin or am I misremembering?

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  9. mQe

mQe

You are sadly totally correct :(

10. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Yes, 250 moneys, and in my case, I always prefer native stuff... Btw, I was looking for a way to complex visual effects in unity combining particles, trails and any other renderer in one gameobject and preview them without hitting play, then, I found about the Timeline, which is amazing already, you can do a lot of stuff there already, but something like popcorn fx, would be even more cool!

11. mQe

mQe

Yeah I saw that... nice addition :)
    Add popcorn fx and we're getting somewhere :p

12. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Guys they are working on Skin & Hair shaders...you can find it here at "Material Features" and also here.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Rodolfo-Rubens and neoshaman like this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's a bit of tangentially off topic, but do anyone know about any implementation in real time of disney's principle shader? Technically that's just PBR with artist driven parameter, but I want to know how the algorithm combine, especially the "sheen" parameter I don't even know what's the formula behind.
    /end tangent

Alverik likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are we missing context here? I'm primarily talking about PC / Console in which compared to UE / LY Unity is really basic / somewhat flawed and not even the asset store can bring it on terms.. So saying it's used for X is somewhat irrelevant in this context, it's extremely apparent Unity is mainly used for mobile even with the "biggest studios".. Riddle me this, Square Enix use Unity for a lot of projects, why did they use Unreal for their major PC / Console project (FF7 Remake)?

Right tool, right job maybe? Unity is popular for a massive array of reasons, It was the first "major" engine available (under the price of a house), it's scripting pipline is flexible and easy to use (with decent docs), to this day no other engine has been able to match that. It will automatically attract beginners which in turn they will grow and build / release games as they learn.. The community is a massive part of Unity's success, the sheer amount of learning material / tools / wiki's etc. etc. is incredible and speculatively things would of been different without them. It was the first engine to release a "free" version, which of course is going to attract the hobbyist crowd..

I'm sure things like easy distribution to multiple platforms helped alot too..

It's no surprise why Unity is popular, but it doesn't address today's conundrum of a flooded market and being able to punch well above your weight..

Doesn't everyone do that? I'm not complaining at this point Andy, if it was years back when I was trying to assist on an MMO or creating a large(ish) openworld game in Unity (which was an absolute nightmare TBH, when moving the projects to UE it was pretty straight forward) then I'd still have a chip on my shoulder. There's plenty of options today, so I choose engine based on project and that's all there is too it..

Unity 5 is orders of magnitude better than what it replaced, it's getting there and will continue to do so.. In terms of rendering, I actually said to myself I doubt I could consistantly keep up with the level of quality that Unity can provide.. That's how it should be IMO..

I don't believe you'll catch up to the other major PC / Console engines although I don't believe that matters either.. Unity rocks at rapid iteration within smaller games, it's a true "indie" engine and I understand larger companies leverage that; well why wouldn't you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
    dogzerx2, mQe and alexanderameye like this.
  15. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

You have definitely taken my post the wrong way; Im asking the forum poster 'ScarabDevs' what they think the Particle system lacks; so that I can feedback this info internally. :)

And im not acting defensive at all about shaders; im genuinely asking what people are interested in. :)

And its great that you like Unity and want it to succeed! Me too! Thats why im on the forums asking users for feedback; especially when they state that a tool is 'lacking features'.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    AcidArrow likes this.
  16. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I didn't say they were niche! :D I was referencing more stylistic and project-specific shaders that are suitable for a few uses but not for the broader scope of the general Unity Shader Library.

As 'JacobSmaga' posted; we are working on Skin and Hair shaders. :)

neoshaman likes this.
  17. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

We already shared this section of the Adam project on the Asset Store; and it contains the Plane Reflections used from the corridor: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/74965

Schneider21 and dogzerx2 like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Guys stop beating up the ridiculous mario frog. He's doing his best to be a moon shaped bool, after all.

19. neginfinity

neginfinity

To be honest, it would be nice to have ability to define lighting calculations for light types on surface shaders.

Meaning that in addition to "surface" shader you'd be able to define several "light shaders" which would determine piece of code necessary for ambient, directional, point and spot lights.

This would allow user to override, say, how light attenuation works and define more custom materials. Right now lighting-related stuff is defined via bunch of macros and pragmas which is very awkward.

Right now lighting is handled via macros defined in AutoLight, and even though there are LightModels, it is not possible to easily override attenuation for point light, or to handle pointlight differently, or to attach extra data to light sources... unless i"m missing something, of course.

20. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

neoshaman and hippocoder like this.
  21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

It's so ridiculous that I have this technology available to me right now!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

How dare you have a life and miss some things!

unityunity