Search Unity

I don't understand. Should I use PPC with URP or PPC (Experimental) with LWRP?

Discussion in '2D' started by exzizt, Mar 15, 2020.

1. exzizt

exzizt

What is better for low-res (288x162, 16 PPU) game?
    Pixel Perfect Camera with URP or Pixel Perfect Camera (Experimental) with LWRP?

Thanks for your help!

2. Tom-Atom

Tom-Atom

3. exzizt

exzizt

Really? Why did they re-brand the name? Thank you, though!

4. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

They didn't feel that LWRP was a solid name so they changed it to URP instead.

5. Tom-Atom

Tom-Atom

Not sure, but I agree with MisterSkitz :) Imagine: if you name something as light, some people may think it is lower value, not so high quality, etc. While it is simply that HDRP and URP fits different scenarions. Unless you are making top PC/PS/XBOX game, you will use URP.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    MisterSkitz likes this.
  6. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

You have valid points, but "Universal" appears more optimal than "Light Weight". ;)

7. exzizt

exzizt

So, if I start up Unity in 2019.3 I'll automatically be using the URP? Is there any configuring I have to do to get the best results for a low-res mobile game (288x162, 16 PPU)?

8. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

You will need to install the URP package, which is simple to do. You will then need to create a resource folder for your URP and then change the pipeline to the URP. You can find the step by step URP setup with a quick Google search. ;)

9. exzizt

exzizt

Thanks, I'll do that! And do you know if this is the most optimal setup I can do in Unity for my requirements? (See my game resolution)

10. Tom-Atom

Tom-Atom

My setup is 320x180 with 16 PPU - you can see what game we are building with this setup (link is in my signature). I also found advantageous to use Pro Grids to snap non-tile objects to pixels.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  11. exzizt

exzizt

But is it optimal to use the URP for just the normal pipeline? If the URP, what settings do I configure in the render asset for a simple mobile pixel game?