Search Unity

I don't make games, want to talk with developers

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by tsmspace, Oct 9, 2019.

1. tsmspace

tsmspace

I have been playing some games recently, and none of them have the features I'm looking for. I am, naturally, posting in related forums for these games with comments about features and/or overal formats that I'm hoping to find, and some people have made great recommendations, but it still looks like my game isn't available.

I thought, well,, there might be enough pre-built material for me to result in something I can play by myself in unity itself,,, but still sounds too hard, it would be easier to follow tutorials and build something from the ground up, and that's a project that someone like me would never finish. (maybe barely even start_. ).

But, I continue to yearn for my favorite game to be invented, so I'm hoping to find someone who has ideas on where I can get someone to make the dang game already. It doesn't ever have to be a release, and can be reasonably rough, and it can be extra work for me to play it, and I'm willing to pay for a product, but ,,,, There are a lot of games out there that meet most of my demands, I'm being pretty specific, and REALLY what I'm looking for is a place to go and describe the concept to an open-source community so that the game-concept can appear in more than one place, with more than one group pursuing what they see as a financial opportunity, annnnd then I'll just go play all those different games.

first before describing the features needed,
    games I've been playing: Astrokill, Starmade, Orbital Racer, Evochron Mercenary, and Thrust and Shoot. These are GREAT GAMES, and my problem is not that these games should change. I am also interested in the latest Infinity Battlescape. I am NOT interested in MOST of the mmo space shooters, where the flight model is nerfed.

features I need: The game is primarily a navigation trainer. it has to fly probably more like Orbital Racer, but I want to be able to move the window around like Infinity Battlescape, and I want to be able to map-edit just like Starmade, but have little match-style environments like Astrokill.

The game needs newtonian thrust physics and NO inertial stabilization. (all vector thrust must be user input). The game needs optional stabilization for rotation, like Astrokill.

The game is titled something to the effect of "space pizza delivery", and takes place in a very dense urban space-city, and the object of the game is to have a destination and a starting point, and be required to fly like the old 2d game space taxi, but instead of little platforms it's a very sprawling Grand-Theft Auto type environment. (but in orbit around a planet or sun). More specifically the pilot goes from the pizza parlor to the parking area of the residence using a higher powered rear thruster, similar to Orbital Racer simulation mode,,, but upon arrival the pilot launches a drone with equal thrust in all directions (although reasonably humble speed), and navigates to the residence airlock. Then, they can fly back , and the fly back to the parlor. IDeally, there would be random destinations,,, more ideally, there would be a map editor, so that I can make custom difficulty. The game would initially be a simple pizza delivery game (3d newtonian), and ultimately would basically be a space Grand Theft Auto, support various but all optional forms of damping, engine config, and such,,,, with mini-games and such,,, and \

most importantly, it would support any custom axis control configuration, like vjoy, because I have a home-made game controller with 4 joysticks. It looks like I should be able to have 6dof on sticks, AS WELL as control the head-turn of a pilot, the way that Infinity Battlescape appears to support, , with a joystick as well.

If what you do is make the game and put it to market and make money, the only problem I'm going to have with that is when you DON"T INCLUDE MY FEATURE. but honestly I like to celebrate the open source community, and being able to click boxes with features, and click "build" before I download the game would be superb. (the game would be single player , and specifically to develop skills for 6dof inertial thrust maneuvering).

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Okay, how much are you paying?

3. rmorph

rmorph

So I think the biggest challenge for people who don't have game design skills is: Ideas are free. Everyone has them. And everyone thinks *their idea* has value: They bring something new and exciting to the table that no-one else has thought of. A special blend or a mix of features. A new way of doing things to refresh an old genre or invent a new one.

Well. No.

It's been thought of. I promise you. Everyone in game development has great ideas and there are millions of people working in the game industry either as pros or amateurs. There are 100s of thousands of students learning gamin design and programming all over the world every year: All of these people have ideas they want to realise- - never mind the 100s of millions of gamers who have an idea for the "dream game" they would love to play. The trick isn't to make the idea appear by getting a few mates interested: its to make it happen despite the 1000 compromises and difficulties and costs in time and money that will be required to actually make it work. Coding, Art, AI, Lighting, Audio, gameplay, Networking and the hundreds of laboriously time and expertise-intensive aspects of game development are all requirements to making a good game as much as "I got a good idea."

So here's the thing: The idea has no value to anyone but you. Plenty of people have probably have had it: Hundreds - maybe thousands of people think the same things when they play the same games "why can't it be a bit more X - or why can't there be a bit more Y. Wow, that would be a really cool game! I should invent that."

But let's assume this idea is so original that you can put together a frikkin incredible game design document (Which is a must) which describes in every detail how the game will play and what a prototype would look like.

IF your idea is to have value then you must put value in it. Right now stick 10000 dollars of your own money into a small team to develop a prototype. For example. That will show people who are good at Coding, Art etc etc etc that you mean business and maybe you can persuade them to invest time and effort into *your* idea rather than their own - and trust me EVERYONE who is doing gaming as a hobby or a profession has *something* on the back burner - an idea that they think is just as exciting as yours.

Good luck!

xVergilx, Socrates, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

If it's a game only for you, and need to be good only for you, what are you willing to sacrifice? Can the ship and city just being badly cube okay? The more quality you pile on, the more out of reach your idea become. Not all game need to be museum renaissance set piece drawn by leonardo da Vinci. I greatly admire the developer of skylight freerange gachduine, he is been making huge epic for 10 years, some might say he has no talent, but sure he didn't stop and keep selling game, see mc Dickie too. That's way more than I ever did alone.

If you want to make game just F***ing start.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

This.

6. Volcanicus

Volcanicus

I can safely say that, throughout my years I have met people that wanted to make games: most ideas I get from them are terrible and will never sell and they are too stubborn to accept it.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I agree 100% with the previous posters. The only way to be sure that a game has every feature you want is to either (1) fund its development, or (2) develop it yourself (which is really just another form of (1)).

That said, your space pizza delivery service sounds interesting. Though I think a taxi game might be a somewhat better design, because you go from point A to B to C to D, whereas with pizza delivery you have to go from A to B then back to A, and A to B to A To C to A. Eventually the player gets tired of area A.

But anyway. What you're describing doesn't sound too hard (Newtonian physics like this is particularly easy). I say either dig in and plan to spend a couple years building your skills to do it yourself, or set aside $10k to hire some help. I'm available, for example. ;)

Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.
  8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Ill do it for 9,999. Haha take that joe!

xVergilx, JoeStrout and Joe-Censored like this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Well if you want to hire someone, continue to develop the idea. Focus on limiting the scope to what you really need in order to reduce cost and time required to create the game. Come up with a pretty detailed set of requirements, maybe a list of nice to haves, and a budget, and shop it around.

As for the game being open source, well that is a bit problematic. An open source project needs someone experienced leading it, someone who organizes it, and understands software development. They don't need to know about every detail of every feature, but they need to be a leader who others can follow. That is either going to be you with the idea, or it isn't going to happen. You're not going to find another developer to lead the charge to make your game for you open source.

Every indie game developer has at least half a dozen "best game ever" ideas on the back burner they wish they had time to get to. If they did them all, by that time they would have come up with half a dozen more. None will champion your idea over their own for you, at least without being paid for the work. Making it open source then makes it problematic to include 3rd party closed source assets, which border on necessity for projects on tight budgets who's developers don't have every necessary skill to complete the project, so that's a problem too if your budget is tight.

A coder may not know how to make models, a modeler may not know how to animate, an animator may not know how to do lighting, none of them may know how to make music, etc, etc, etc. So you either hire a half dozen or more people, contract out work your developers don't know how to do, or for usually a lot less money you purchase license to available assets to fill the gaps. That license will certainly not allow you to open source the asset.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    JoeStrout likes this.