Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't like complicated games anymore

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BIGTIMEMASTER, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Sounds awesome. But I'd hope they leave the "save the world, save your daughter who you're also incestuously attracted to" nonsense out of it, and just let it stay focused on the hard work of hunting monsters. Keep the fantasy pure and focused.

2. GazingUp

GazingUp

Sounds like the dream MMORPG.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

Why you all don't play fortnite on mute, it's a polish and innovative shooter with the trapping of botw. It's always readable and they do variety very smartly so you always know instantly what to do.

Seriously curious.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I don't like zany stuff.

Deckard_89 likes this.
  5. neoshaman

neoshaman

Good old visual vs gameplay

I just want someone to clone build fight out of fortnite already ... this the biggest mobility/defense innovation in shooter ... can probably be streamlined much further to remove the horde inspired fat from before battle royale. Also I wonder how it would fare in first person (though third person allow for spatial awareness.)

angrypenguin likes this.
  6. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

@neoshaman A few of the most important things necessary for me to enjoy games is atmosphere and immersion, so Fortnite ain't for me I'm afraid.

7. print_helloworld

print_helloworld

I think the easiest way to describe a game with design that doesn't require a Bible tutorial, and has a lot of nuance that you could never master is games that rely on emergent gameplay, from the simplest mechanisms.

For example, explosions in Tf2, removing and placing blocks in a voxel world, abilities that can be combined like in Magicka

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  8. KrakenKoders

KrakenKoders

You just described Rocket League. It's like the only game I play anymore. Super simple, but you won't master it for years. It does have the dreaded Epic curse on it now though.

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I was interested in that but never got around to trying it. Only issue there is that it's multiplayer only? My issue with multiplayer games is that you spend too much time waiting around. Or fun is ruined by annoying teammates.

10. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yeah. Da creepy cringe.:confused:
    Sometimes I wonder what goes on in the minds of some devs.:confused:

I agree.:)

11. warthos3399

warthos3399

I totally feel you bro. What you describe (turok, etc.) is exactly what im doing with Jurassic Extinction. I loved those type of games.

I dont have any mini-map, or menus to go through to play the game, no tutorial, its called realism, you rely on sound and visual cues. Listen to your environment, look at whats around you and use common sense. I call it KISS - keep it simple stupid. A game can be simple in the gameplay, but still be a great game visually/storyline.

Deckard_89 and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  12. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I think all the silly stuff gets added on over the decades in order to reach a broader audience. I really like the Sniper Elite series but you can see with each iteration, they spend more time beefing out the lower difficulty settings with so much UI nonsense that the game basically plays itself. Then the "hardcore" gamers have to fuss for a while before they add in options to turn it all off. And thats the audeince that plays the games for years and buys all the DLC.

But I think those day one sales from people who get hyped over a bombastic trailer is where the big money is. They'll never finish the game anyway, but probably if they get frustrated at all they'll leave a bad review or thumbs down.

But that's okay, because now if I just make games that I want to play, I'll be serving an under-served audience. :)

Deckard_89 and warthos3399 like this.
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

But you cant alway think "I'll be serving an under-served audience". I see what youve created, and seen many posts of yours, like how you think/ideas, all games are different, be it gameplay, gfx, art style, etc. and all us devs take a risk when we dev a game.

Theres relatively recent games like you/we speak of that have been hits, Game dev with any engine is a trial and error chance, and we all second guess things, as we want it to be good...

14. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

The exact same thing happened with one of my favourite series, Hitman - although the options were already present there day one, because they know the original audience will always be first to play it.

warthos3399 likes this.
  15. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think complexity is good so long as 1) it doesn’t demand you understand the systems inside and out and rather allows for macro emergence and logical cause and effect, and 2) you are allowed to graze the content as you see fit.

Elder Scrolls is a great example of what to do and what not to do at the same time.

The “do it and you level up automatically” thing is great.

The “you need to invest skill points to make this useful” is terrible.

A good approach to stopping that is to give the players more dimension, not bigger numbers.

So you level up blunt weapons, you get better at knocking people down is good.

Level up blunt does more damage is bad.

You now are REQUIRED to level that up to make it useful.

Also, limit how much the leveling process effects the player.

Make it so that it has twice the potency at max level than as a new player, but also include synergies and cross usefulness.

Knocking people back better because you leveled up blunt also effects blades, but blunt leans on that aspect more.

That encourages experiment.

Especially if you don’t force people to pick a path.

Just go play and enjoy the bonuses as they come. You don’t become dumb if you become strong. That’s not how things work.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Deckard_89 and warthos3399 like this.
  16. Jloness

Jloness

I understand what you are saying, I just tried to play: divinity original sin 2, and I needed to search a YouTube introduction to how to start the game, I was playing in split screen with my roomie and he died and stayed dead, but there where a ton of text to read and objects and a bunch of stuff too much info you don't know, how it's possible that you start a game and tons of options and things you don't even have a clue its frustrating that you need like a dictionary for every new game, I was playing also assassins creed odyssey, I thought it was gorgeous and fun but side quest after side just deviates you from the main story at the point of losing interest and my side died, lose all my save game, so I had to start over the game I was level 19, playing it again and to reach the level before was an incredible amount of time you lose on silly, stupid things that doesn't complement the main story, and is just the peek of the game, I stoped playing it at level 22 I like it, but I feel like is wasting so much time, also tried apex I was out of place, even I have played pubg, but it was like, and didn't know how to play it, and a bunch of kids screaming to me "do something", "are you tryingto make us lose" I consider myself gamer, I don't think I have difficulty learning, even English I not my first language and I learned from games. Also, I tried fornite, oh my they gave a bunch of stuff you don't know what so many buttons option building I was overloaded with info, I must say, something important, I started Witcher 3, I thought this is kind of hard I don't know anything, but I understand it the hard way and I love it, but that's the thing I don't want to start a complicated game that need hours to start and maybe it isn't a good game and you wasted lots of energy learning almost a new language, but in Witcher 3 case is worth it, you just need to set a mind and lose fear of all the content. finished zelda breath of the wild too nice game I felt the same about the weapons and the same design of the shrines. Also, that's why resident evil 4 was the game of the decade. Fun, you keep your weapons upgrade them and so.