Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know how to obfuscate my code, and I'm worried about reverse engineering...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Larry-W, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Larry-W

Larry-W

Hello,

I'm close to ready to publishing my first Unity game to the Google Play Store, and am concerned about people easily reverse engineering my project from the apk...

Is this something I should actually be worried about? How easy is it to rebuild a functional/compilable Unity project from an apk?

Thanks!

2. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

There's nothing you can do to stop it. If someone REALLY wants to, they'll make it happen. The only real way I think of keeping people from messing with too much stuff is streaming assets, but even they they could still get ahold of them. This is the plague of software. Nothing is impenetrable. There's a lot you can do to make it hard for people, but, ya whatever man, lol.

It boils down to how much monetization you're attempting and how important it is that you get it. I once heard a very frightening figure that android sales are the worst in the market because APKs are so easy to get (by just rooting the device and grabbing it).

If this is your first, I would seriously not worry about it. It's not until you're trying to live off your games that you should really be worried about it. Security isn't a simple topic and there's caveats to everything.

So no don't worry about it for now. :)

Hodgson_SDAS, McMayhem and Larry-W like this.