Search Unity

I don't fully understand the Everyplay Mobile Gaming: Social Motivations white paper.

Discussion in 'Unity Everyplay' started by greatness, Aug 26, 2016.

1. greatness

greatness

Hi. In this whitepaper, which can be downloaded at this website https://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/10/19/social-motivations-and-mobile-gaming-habits-of-top-players/, there are some confusing questions I have in mind.

First,
    page 14, what is social play?

Second,
    page 17, what is the difference between sharers and socializers?

Third,
    pages 24, what do they mean "respond to challenges". Are they referring to challenges like challenges in this website-https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/GameKit_Guide/Achievements/Achievements.html

or just generally challenges?

Fourth,
    pages 24 and 25, how come respond to challenge has greater importance in page 24 but in 25 leaderboards are clearly way more important than respond to challenges.

Fifth,
    page 26, what is the difference between competitive play and challenging other players? Is competitive play mean multiplayer or it can also be leaderboards?

Also on page 26,
    I don't fully understand the graph but I am guessing it has something to do with user profiles or does it? Also, don't fully understand all options including "nothing I have no identity option" and "i dont play mobile games with this group of people" .

Finally, in page 30:
    What is a match 3 puzzle game? Is a match 3 puzzle game like a tile matching game like 2048? And what do they mean a "general" puzzle game? Do they just mean "a puzzle game?"

In conclusion, I posted this thread here because I have no idea where else to post it. I put it here because the white paper was made by Everyplay. The reason why I want to know all these confusions is because (1. I'm extremely curious :) (2. I plan on integrating these principles in my game.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. greatness

greatness

Is this the right area for me to post this thread? Should I post this thread somewhere else?

3. greatness

greatness

Is social play multiplayer or can it mean something else? :confused:

4. greatness

greatness

:confused:Are socializers people who talk and sharers people who share videos of game play? I seriously have no idea.

5. greatness

greatness

:confused: Does competitive play mean multiplayer? Or can it mean something else?

6. greatness

greatness

On page 26, does the options '' nothing I have no identity'' and ''I don't play mobile games with this group'' mean the same thing? Or are they different? Do they both mean that there are no user preferences in the game? Or is that not true?

7. greatness

greatness

8. greatness

greatness

I think they might be talking about the second type of app store, but they seem to always capitalize the a and s in app store like App Store.

9. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Social play, a game that involves social media. like sharing your screenshots, videos, scores, challenging scores from other players via social media.

Sharers, people that share medial. Socializers, those that comment, like, retweet... get more involved than just seeing a shared video.

You'll respond to a challenge in order to get higher on the leaderboard than the one that sent you the challenge.
    If you don't have a goal for taking on a challenge some might not bother.

Match 3. The goal of the game is in the name, match 3 of the same thing to get the points or finish the board.

OboShape and greatness like this.
  10. greatness

greatness

:) Thanks! You answered so many of my questions! I still do have a few questions left though.

So respond to challenges is basically this right:https://developer.apple.com/library...GameKit_Guide/Achievements/Achievements.html?

pages 24 and 25, how come respond to challenge has greater importance in page 24 but in 25 leaderboards are clearly way more important than respond to challenges.

page 26, what is the difference between competitive play and challenging other players? Is competitive play mean multiplayer or it can also be leaderboards?

Also on page 26,
    I don't fully understand the graph but I am guessing it has something to do with user profiles or does it? Also, don't fully understand all options including "nothing I have no identity option" and "i dont play mobile games with this group of people"

Also, what are general puzzle games? Are they just puzzle games that are not match 3 games are what?

Anyway, thx for your reply :D

11. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

General puzzles are yeah. puzzles that aren't "match the stuff." like perhaps guide the player through a maze. or connect the dots for example. Challenging other players, i guess its challenging people from your friends list or sending a challenge to someone. Competitive could be an arena like game where you compete to climb the score ladder.

The graph is showing how people represent themselves in their profile. The i have no identity option to me means that is perhaps playing anonymously. not logging in to anything or not providing with an avatar picture / name.

Btw, that paper is a study that shows the general picture of online mobile play, it's not necessary to actually take everything literal and implement them if it doesn't suit your application.

greatness likes this.
  12. OboShape

OboShape

Hehe, just finished reading that paper, some interesting demographics in it.
    least your questions have been answered :) sorry a bit late to the party.

greatness likes this.
  13. greatness

greatness

Thx :D . Just a few clarifications(I am extremely curious!) : I don't understand what you mean an "arena like game where you compete to climb a score ladder". Do you mean like Clash Royale or something like that?

Number two, I am immensely curious at this option: what is the "I dont play mobile games with this group of people option?"

That's all the questions that I have. I am sorry if I am bothering you but I am really really really curious( for some reason).

14. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Arena. Like Quake 3 Arena, or Unreal Tournament. Can't say anything about Clash Royale as i haven't played it.

I'm guessing it's taken from a questionnaire that was previously given out.
    I can only guess, but probably it was asking them if they are identifying or playing with a certain group of people.
    Like the "whales" that the paper mentions before.

greatness likes this.
  15. greatness

greatness

Oh, you mean like eSports? It doesn't really make sense if it means esports because on page 20, live broadcast got the least "votes".

Also, I am curious about the "i dont play game mobile games with this group" option in the user profiles.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  16. greatness

greatness

I think competitive play is equal to events in this article: http://www.gamesparks.com/blog/top-5-social/? Is it? An example of a game that has this feature is Clash of Clans with its clan wars.

17. OboShape

OboShape

This is just my tuppence worth..

In my head when it was going on about competitive play, was more a player mindset as opposed to any single or genre of game.

from my understanding of it, I could say that I am both competitive and social..

my competitive streak comes out relating to say playstation trophies, and always attempting to get the max ammount of achievements, not per se in a multiplayer environment. in that sense when i see others in my list who have trophies for certain games that I have, I strive to get that extra and get that one more that just beats them, and the circle goes on.

the social side of me, just enjoys reading about games, techniques and news of whats coming around the corner, and I do share alot on social media, and have several discussions at the office or with the kids. (could also be classed in the sharer group)

Not sure if thats what it was getting at, but thats how it solidified in my head :)

greatness likes this.
  18. greatness

greatness

Also, what is the difference between nick name with stylized photo and nickname with avatar image?