Search Unity

I can't set up a simple 3D character with physics that work

Discussion in 'Physics' started by JohnFromMath, Dec 18, 2014.

1. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

I've been sitting here for two hours and I can't figure out why it's not working. I have a Maya file, an FBX or whatever, that's in Unity and appears fine. I'm also able to drag in the default third-person character - you know, the construction worker guy - and his physics work fine from the start. I just can't get my Maya character to do the same. I can give her a Character Controller, a RigidBody, all that siht, I can even painstakingly look through all of the construction guy's components and add them exactly in the same way to her, and she still falls through the floor. Help? What could I possibly be doing wrong?

2. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

To clarify, I am able to get her to control properly by adding the Platforming component or whatever, but that makes her ratchet-jump - she'll jump and then stay at that height instead of falling.

3. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

On closer inspection, it seems to be something in the Third Person Controller script. Whether that's checkmarked affects whether she falls through the floor when I have the construction guy set up as the playable character.

4. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

Alright, back to square one; the entire thing got screwed up. Can someone just give me basic instructions on how to set up a character with physics that work (i.e. can jump, can move, doesn't fall through a plane I create) in 3D? I don't want to watch, like, 30-minute videos; I don't have the attention span.

5. MatthewW

MatthewW

I'm not sure what your goals are, but if they're at all about making your own games you're going to need to build that attention span somehow. Making games takes waaaaay more effort than sitting through a 30-minute video, and if that's already a roadblock you're in a world of trouble.

That said, if you're just looking to walk one of your models around as an interactive gallery sort of deal, you should dig around the Asset Store's sample projects and templates and see if something is suitable: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/category/99/page/1/sortby/popularity

6. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

I have made finished projects before, but somehow they've avoided this seemingly simple task. I'll simply ignore your attitude and take your advice about looking at sample projects.

7. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

Actually, I'm sorry. I realize you're only trying to be of assistance. I've been greatly at odds with my parents lately, and that may have been carrying over into all of my posts here. To be clear, I have many a time spent great deals of time slaving over videos to find out how to accomplish seemingly minor tasks, but I don't enjoy it any more than I did then. I have found one video that appears to be helping.

8. JohnFromMath

JohnFromMath

It was something with the RigidBodies. It's working fine now.

9. MatthewW

MatthewW