Search Unity

I can't seem to access my Google Play alpha release

Discussion in 'Android' started by Steven-1, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Steven-1

Steven-1

I'm working on my first game for the Google Play store, and made my first alpha release this sunday.
    I chose closed alpha, and added a couple of gmailadresses to the testers list, including my own gmail adress, but I have yet to receive a mail. (no one of the testers has btw)
    And when I try the link (while logged in), I get a page that says the app is not available (or not accessible for me)

It's been almost 2 full days since the rollout, this doesn't seem normal for it to take that long.

Am I missing something? Is there something I have yet to do?
    I'm trying my best to understand all that has to be done, but I find it all rather cryptic.

Edit:
    I remember I had somehow accidentally selected open alpha instead of closed, before changing it to closed, perhaps that's why no one received an email. But that still doesn't explain why the link doesn't work

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. HyenaGamesDev

HyenaGamesDev

I just rolled my first app out yesterday and having a similar issue. A couple other testers can access it fine, but I couldn't get the link to work for me. I think maybe the developer account can't download their own game? Not sure.. that seems silly.

I chose to do mine as a Closed Alpha with testers from a G+ Community. I added myself to a G+ community and installed the G+ app on my phone. Clicking the Install link from there DID work.

Good luck!

3. Steven-1

Steven-1

But I didn't even get an email or anything, none of the mailadresses I added did, and I didn't use my developer account's adress, but an other one of mine.

no one can access the link it seems, and by now it has been a full 2 days.

I feel like I'm just misunderstanding something, and it definately doesn't help that most of the text in the google play console is in dutch for some reason, but all the help and documentation (and some parts of the google play console) is in english. That makes it really difficult to know exactly what they mean.

But I was wondering, look at this image:
    PlayAlphaTest.PNG

Does everything look ok here? (I know it's in dutch, but hopefully you recognize everything)
    Does this page mean that build has been released as an alpha build?
    the "Testers Beheren" part (which means manage testers), where it says "gesloten alfatest" (closed alpha), is that part of the build that has been released, or is that like what It would be if I made a new alpha release or something?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

That is correct, for Google testing, you can't use your own developer email

gaolei_nls likes this.
  5. Steven-1

Steven-1

But like I said, I didn't use my developer mail.

Edit:

I found out that when I go to the link on my pc (rather than my phone), I do get the page that asks if I want to be a tester, after which I can go to the store page.
    But for some reason I can't do this on my phone? (where I am signed in as the same user as on my pc)

So I still can't do anything, as I can't download and install the app on my pc, I need to be able to do that on my phone obviously.

urgh, this whole thing is driving me crazy

Edit2:

what the? Apparently I can download and install the app on my phone, from clicking on install on my pc?
    That's weird.
    Is that how you're supposed to do this?
    Why can't I just do that on my phone?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The tester will get an email to the link to download the app. Check your test email from your device. Or launch Google Play on the device, and you should see the app as available to install. Alternatively, you could side load the application to your phone over USB by installing directly from Unity and using Build and Run, or by using "adb install mygame.apk" if you are familiar with the Android developer toolset.

7. Steven-1

Steven-1

None of that happened, for all of the testers.
    neither the email, nor any indication of the app in google play.
    It's like I didn't make an alpha release, except when I check the link in my browser on my pc.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You would likely want to check with Google. Is this your first Alpha release? How did you obtain the link on your PC?

9. Steven-1

Steven-1

I tried the help chat system in the google play console, but it gives an unexpected error every time,
    I then used the mailing sytem, but I have yet to receive a reply.

Yes, this is my first release, I'm completely new to publishing on the play store.

The url is displayed when I click on "manage testers" on the alpha release page in the google play console.

10. Kretoskar

Kretoskar

I'm having the same problem right now. Did you find a solution?

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You browse to the opt-in tester link in a browser on the device.