Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your project's performance with our new guide on profiling in Unity.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't make my vehicle turn in Unity Junior Programmer Lesson 1.4

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by taylorhubbard, Dec 10, 2021.

1. taylorhubbard

taylorhubbard

So, I have been working through the Unity courses, and I am currently on Junior Programmer. However, I have run into a debilitating issue that has brought my progress to a halt. Currently, I am on lesson 1.4, and I can't seem to get the tank to turn. The horizontal input meter moves in the inspector, but nothing happens to the turn speed. What am I doing wrong?
    Here is my code for the PlayerController.cs file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class PlayerController : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public float speed = 5f;
    8.     public float turnSpeed;
    9.     public float horizontalInput;
    10.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    11.     void Start()
    12.     {
    14.     }
    16.     // Update is called once per frame
    17.     void Update()
    18.     {
    19.         horizontalInput = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    20.         //Move the vehicle forward
    21.         transform.Translate(Vector3. forward * Time.deltaTime * speed);
    22.         transform.Translate(Vector3.right * Time.deltaTime * turnSpeed * horizontalInput);
    23.     }
    24. }

2. Valjuin

Valjuin

Did you set the Turn Speed in the Inspector to 1? (Time in video 00:05:05 - 00:05:08)

3. richardjeroense

richardjeroense

Hi Taylor, i have the same issue om my Mac using Unity 2020.03.24f1. The code is correct, but the vehicle does not move with my keyboard letters and arrows. Not sure if I should update to the new Input Manager package instead, but that is not covered in the Junior Programmer course yet. Anyone any other ideas?

4. richardjeroense

richardjeroense

Hi Taylor, I managed to solve it. My Unity layout displays both the Scene as well as the Game window in one screen. Even though I was clicking the Play button, the arrow keys did not seem to work. I also had to click in the actual Game window with my mouse, and then the arrow keys did show effect. Please try, maybe this solves your issue too.

unityunity