Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I Can't Import an fbx Animation into Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by KDamon, Oct 18, 2018.

1. KDamon

KDamon

So me and my group are making a game, and I'm in charge of managing models and animations. Granted, I was a real noob a month ago when it came to using Maya, but I already modeled and rigged the character. My group told me the model was too small, so they made a prefab for the T-pose and resized it, with scripts and colliders and all. So I'm trying to resize the animations (idle, running, etc) to fit the scale of the T-Pose. But whenever I set one of them as animation states, the animation works, but the model instantly shrinks.

I tried putting my Maya components into an empty group and scaling the group, but after I import that, it just automatically goes to T-pose.

I tried scaling the joints and setting new keys, but after import, it gives me a twisted mesh. ( I already deleted deformer history).

My export process goes: select all->select all frames->delete history->export selection->check animation tick-> check automatic tick under Units->then export.

During import, I put the animator controller on the prefab character->set clip as default state-> check loop->check use file scale (0.01). But whenever I change the scale factor, It just twists it up.

I'm sorry. I don't know what else I could possibly be missing. I don't need to worry about setting my animation type to humanoid because my T-Pose is already set to generic. I followed exporting to a T. I just want to make the animation bigger without having to redo the whole thing. I got it right once, by accident. But all the settings for it in unity look the same, and I exported it all the same too. If anyone could help me through this, I will appreciate you to no end. Thank you.

2. ikazrima

ikazrima

My usual workflow is:

(A) 1 fbx for rig & mesh
    (B) Multiple fbx with animations & rig only, no mesh

In the fbx import settings,
    Set up A & B file scale to be the same (1.0, or whatever suits you),
    Set up B with avatar from A.

Most of the time when my animation goes bonkers is because the import scale doesn't match up between the FBXs.
    If you made any change in the avatar from A, you'll also need to reimport from B (although this might only apply to humanoid? Don't have unity atm to check).
    I've also avoided exporting to fbx 7.x, and just stick with 6.x. The 7.x messes with rig scale (100!) at least from Blender.