Search Unity

I can't edit Cinemachine "Value" variable in the inspector

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by siimonhansson, Jan 15, 2020.

1. siimonhansson

siimonhansson

I'm using a Cinemachine Free Look camera. Underneath the "Axis Control" header there's a float variable called "Value" which I can only change while in play mode. If I try to change it when the game is not playing, nothing happens. I'll set it to 1 but as soon as I hit enter it goes back to 0.5.

This is not an issue with the project since I've tried making a completely new project, with nothing in it and I still can't edit the "Value" variable.

I've also tried with two versions of Unity, 2019.2.17f1 and 2019.3.0f3.

The expected behavior is that I can set the variable between 0 and 1.

Here's an image of the variable I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/TQS7fTC

2. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

Why would you like to change it? Just to understand the context, maybe there are other parameters to change to achieve what you'd like.

3. siimonhansson

siimonhansson

In order to preview what I'm doing. Basically what the variable does is that it changes the position of the camera, which helps a lot when making changes. As far as I know, there's no other value that changes this. I could technically just make the changes while in play mode, copy all values and paste them but that's inconvenient and not how it's supposed to work. I've looked up videos where people use the same camera and none of them have this issue.

4. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

It's a regression. :( We are going to fix it soon.

ZorinAndreyko and siimonhansson like this.
  5. kaballier0

kaballier0

Yeah, *kinda* the same issue here. *Even though* its possible to change the Value, and the cam reacts accordintly, as soon as the editor exits the Play mode, the Value resets back to 0.5, so... Still there.

6. Yuchen_Chang

Yuchen_Chang

Do you have the "Y Axis Recentering" enabled? That option will recenter the vcam back to the middle rig, which is 0.5. (in editor mode, it will recenter immediately)

7. kaballier0

kaballier0

Actually, no, i tested that one immidiately.
    Trying to permanently set a Y value to 0.3 instead of 0.5 for the middle rig of my 3-d person view, but to no avail. :[

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Middle view is locked to 0.5, you can't change it. And the FreeLook inspector will force the value to 0, 0.5, and 1 for bottom/middle/top.

9. kaballier0

kaballier0

But then... why is it an interactable field?

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I meant that you can't change the fact that 0.5 corresponds to the middle view. You can modify the Y axis value, but whenever you click the "Middle Rig" view of the FreeLook inspector, it will initialize the value to 0.5 so you can see what that view looks like. You can then modify the value, but it will bet popped back to 0.5 next time you bring up the middle view in the editor. (0 or 1 for bottom and top views). It's not a great design - we fixed it in CM3.