Search Unity

I cannot add any properties to any animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Zuliwa, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Zuliwa

Zuliwa

I've been struggeling with this for 1 1/2 hours and tried every solution I could find, but nothing worked.

This is for VRChat
    I downloaded this animation pack and want to add the "Get Down" animation to this character, but I want the animation to trigger an audi source, but if I open literally any animation I am unable to add a property, no matter what I do.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

DrakBehr likes this.
  3. Bangerang101

Bangerang101

I know this is an old thread, but I'm currently having this problem as well. I have the object (character, in this case) selected, but the "add property" selection is grayed out. I'm using version 2019.4.32 (lts). If I create a new animation, the button is available, but otherwise it is not (on pre-existing animations).

Beta_Proto likes this.
  4. CodeComposer

CodeComposer

Heyy I know this is old but it might help others. I had the same problem and I was using a collaboration tool (Plastic) so I needed to check out the animations before changing them

BossGrandiose likes this.
  5. skmray

skmray

I found that the Add Property button was unavailable until I selected the object in the game Hierarchy (not the Project tab) that has the actual Animator attached to it, then everything worked as expected; button available.

handman09 likes this.
  6. Quickie_Wolf

Quickie_Wolf

I thought I had if figured out just like skmray said above. However there is a deeper problem. I found that if I did not have a "Controller" set under the "Animator" the "Add Property" will always be grayed out. Inspector->Animator->Controller-> "Radio Button and pick one from the list or make/add you own.' I just spent 1 hr. on this problem. You still need to select that object in the game Hierarchy as mentioned above first.

These problems are difficult to correctly ask because of lack of standardized terminology. I hope this helps someone. There is so much I don't understand yet about all of this so if someone sees something that looks obviously out of order, please add to this post. I'm currently running 2019.4.31f1 and Blender 3.31. Add_Property_Working.jpg

Chutch and Dauw_Jonas like this.
  7. Newb_Ninja

Newb_Ninja

As @skmray correctly pointed out, you cannot select this from the PROJECT view.... you must view it from the HIERARCHY and it works. Of course, you need an animation controller already attached.

8. tonytopper

tonytopper

Here's some feedback for Unity: this UX is just wrong. Not bad, wrong. If Unity doesn't invest in fixing UX soon they will continue to be vulnerable to losing market share to someone who does.

This is not my first time through this timeline animation setup process. Even though I have it working elsewhere in our project, I am still struggling. Generally, I am a technical editor power user. I've been programming for 30 years. I use or have used, extensively, Photoshop, Illustrator, Cubase, Sound Forge, Visual Studio, Eclipse, Xcode, Figma, Flash, and others.

Unity has some excellent features brewing in this realm of animation and game production but the UX is S*** in too many places.

tomekkie2 and elijahwenn like this.
  9. joram1101

joram1101

Because this was all pretty unclear to me, this is how I enabled the "add property" button:
    1. Open the Animation from the Inspector or anywhere else
    2. Select an object in the Hierarchy that has an Animator component with a Controller that uses the Animation you selected in step 1
    Yes, this is horrible, but I think it is this way because Properties of Animations contain components. So, you have to select this Animation in the context of the Hierarchy to have access to these components.