Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I am using Personal but there is "Trial Version" water mark after build

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by lauhonyeung, Dec 2, 2018.

1. lauhonyeung

lauhonyeung

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have you tried following the instructions that were linked to in the second link? Which release of Unity are you on?

3. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

Same here..... Start happen on 2017.4.16f1
    Personal version Unity.

4. lauhonyeung

lauhonyeung

I tried everything, these watermark show up since last week.
    And many people meet the same problem

5. tk2l

tk2l

I have the same problem, you are all in china.

6. lauhonyeung

lauhonyeung

yes, I am from China.
    and I just solved the problem by manually activating license.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  7. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I still have the watermark, I am from Taiwan. But it seems like I am the only few people in my region that are having this watermark issue. I submitted a support ticket 4 days ago, I am still not receiving reply from Unity. I am using 2018.2.18f1 Personal, I have never purchased plus or pro or used trial version of pro. I have tried to delete the license file in the ProgramData folder and tried "Activate New License", none of them worked. I can't do anything but publish my game, right now all my players are having "trial version" watermark at the bottom right...

8. ngivanhk

ngivanhk

I have the same issue as well. I am from Hong Kong.

I tried to reactive my license, upgraded from 2017.4.0f1 to 2018.2.18f1 but unfortunately not working. I am using personal edition, never installed Pro or Plus.

I found that the trial version only appeared in some of the projects, however I cannot identify any similarities from those project with watermark yet.

9. Dean-Kuai

Dean-Kuai

Thank you! It worked!

10. singyosan

singyosan

same problem here...
    my previous projects can be built without the watermark
    but the watermark still appears in new projects

UPDATE
    After tried manual activation, the watermark was gone
    It's so weird while the first attempt failed

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    mnpben likes this.
  11. tk2l

tk2l

The Activate New License activation watermark that has been used for a few days has been still there. Today, after manually activated with Manual Activation, the watermark has disappeared magically. I don't know if it is a unity bug or a policy reason.
    I used unity 2018.2.18f1, the latest personal free version, the watermark is activated by this method. Students with watermarks can give it a try.
    Proceed as follows:
    1. Open the Manage License in the Help menu.

2.Save License Request is saved locally.

3. Open https://license.unity3d.com/manual website, upload the saved Unity_v2018.2.18f1.alf file, and generate a new license. After downloading, use this menu again to load the license, restart the unity watermark. . Note that you must restart unity after activation.

kk3hi3123, samy23 and mnpben like this.
  12. mnpben

mnpben

Hi guys, same here too, but follow your solution, it works!;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  13. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I just tried "Activate New License" in the Editor one more time today, it still doesn't work...
    EDIT:
    Sorry I didn't pay attention to tk2l's answer, tk2l's answer works for me!!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

After manual activation 2 times, the watermark was gone. After 1 times, watermark still there, 2nd times gone.

15. singyosan

singyosan

weird thing happened
    today I tried to build a project that was fine before
    but now the watermark showed up again ...
    :(

16. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Same here, what is going on now?... I submitted a support ticket 5 days ago, and I had just received the reply from a Unity support yesterday, I thought my problem had been solved, so I replied to the support and said that my problem had been solved by manually activating the license. But today I built my project one more time, the "trial version" watermark appeared again! Unity really should do something about this or explain what happened. tk2l's answer is just a temporary fix.

17. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

I think every times reboot the computer, the watermark will appear again. Manually activating the license again can temporary solve the problem.

18. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I had just received the reply from Unity support yesterday, although I told the support that my problem had been resolved yesterday which was not true, it seems that they haven’t closed my case yet, so I can still contact the support, I am waiting their reply now. I don’t want to manually activate my license everyday.

19. mnpben

mnpben

Same here and i found a new problem, when i build a version with strip engine code unchecked, the trial version water mark display again.

after all, how to fix this?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  20. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Hello everyone, I just received the official reply from Unity support, here is what they said:

Thanks for your patience here.

I have been liaising with the relevant team in regards to your watermark issue & have been advised that currently we are using trial version watermark for Unity Personal to prevent crack versions and protect our legal paid users rights.

If you are an Indie user who didn't reach an annual earning of $100k, contact us when you need to make your game & we will help you to remove the watermark. This is done case by case.

Kind regards

But if Unity is putting watermark on Personal version of Unity, why doesn't every Personal user get the watermark? And why can we remove the watermark by manually activating the license, then what is the point of putting the watermark...

houkanshan likes this.
  21. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

What is the meaning of done it case by case, is it every project need to submit and get review? Give them report?

22. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

Manually activating the license no longer work now...

23. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Same here, I manually activated the license and then restarted Unity, the watermark was still there. It seems that they have fixed the exploit of manually activating license. I will try to contact the support to remove my watermark.

24. Xydw2

Xydw2

:( Even if old project update new version, there is a "Trail version" water mark.... This is bad....

25. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

No need to update new version, for any new build watermark will display. It is no different from any unity version, I think every times startup the Unity editor will connect unity server to check you license and config you editor.

26. Xydw2

Xydw2

Then all version is trail version, no free version now????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

27. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

You have to pay Unity tax monthly!

28. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

Now, if you want to publish to iOS, personal version is useless. Reviewer will reject you submit, because Apple do not allow the app have any "Trial" word. All apps cannot be trial version is written on the "App Store Review Guidelines"

Demos, betas, and trial versions of your app don’t belong on the App Store – use TestFlight instead.

29. Xydw2

Xydw2

Hard to earn money.... Less than 1000$ / year, can't buy it.....:(:(:(:(

30. Xydw2

Xydw2

I learn unity 3d from the end of last year.... Because it has free version, if its free version is useless, I don't know how to continue learning....o_O

31. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

It seems that Unity has decided to follow the path described above. Unity Personal was listed as suitable for users who did not generate more $100k per year, then it was described as the 'Hobbyist' version and recently it's morphed into the 'Beginner' option. Apparently, not adopting the dark theme for the personal edition failed to convince enough users to opt for a paid plan.

Although many companies decide to monetize non-revenue generating assets, I have reservations about any plan which enforces measures to reduce the usability of the project or imposes restrictions that are clearly designed to make the product less attractive.

I am confident that the fully operational 'personal' version helped to increase the global appeal of Unity, and I'm certain that those who have spent endless hours learning and creating projects will feel let down.

There's no doubt that there are many users who simply cannot afford to commit to a paid agreement despite the chance that they may be destined to produce something exceptional. I feel for those who find that the 'goal posts' have been moved.

32. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

If they use Hobbyist' version or personal version watermark is no problem. But it use "Trial version", it direct impact some one want to publish on iOS.

33. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Yes I agree. By mentioning the version descriptions, I was referring to the way that the changes have been introduced. I feel that the addition of the 'Trial Version' watermark is one of the methods used to make the product less attractive.

I run my own business outside of coding, and I always shape my service(s) to appeal to the full range of existing and potential clients.

34. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Weird, despite the watermark, my game was sucessfully published to App Store today and it had “trial version” at the bottom right. Maybe the watermark is too small to be spotted by the reviewers.

35. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

But the main problem is, why doesn’t every Personal user have watermark? I have many friends that are also Unity game developers and are using Personal, they don’t have the watermark. And it feels like I am the few people that are having this issue.

36. Xydw2

Xydw2

I have this issue too... Only happen in this week...

37. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I know Unity deserves the money and is under no obligation to help Personal users. But I want to know why only few of us are having watermark. I have never used the cracked version of Unity, not to mention there is no need to use the cracked version since Unity Personal is free. If all other Personal users get the watermark, I will buy Plus willingly. Without Unity, I couldn't make games. I am not someone who just starts using Unity, I am a person who has game published on Google Play Store and App Store, my game was successful but it's a non-commercial project. I am just about to create my first commercial project, but the watermark has huge impact on me. If you are a Personal user but not having watermark, please comment below.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  38. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Hello everyone, I just found the true solution to this. It's all because of China. There are too many cracked version of Unity in China. My best guess is that Unity is targeting Chinese ip and putting watermark on Chinese users. And probably because Unity considers Taiwan as part of China, so Taiwanese users also get the watermark. So I use VPN and change my ip to a United States' ip. And then manually activate the license, restart Unity, the watermark disappears after building the game. If you are having this issue, you are probably a Chinese or Taiwanese user.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  39. singyosan

singyosan

So do we need to use VPN all the time, or just get the license once for all?

40. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I don’t know, Unity really should explain what had happened although I am almost certain what is going on. I nearly purchased Plus and thought that it was because Unity had decided to put watermark on Personal users recently. But I am just an innocent Indie game developer from Taiwan, I have never used cracked version of Unity, why do I get the watermark? And I have to try to figure out by myself even though I had contacted the support.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  41. Deleted User

Deleted User

The problem seems to be location related as @better_walk_away said. I'm in Europe and using the personal edition, spent some time this morning building projects and never got the "trial version" watermark.

Maybe you need to talk to someone in Unity Technologies about that? support@unity3d.com

42. guoboism

guoboism

Tried your way and it worked. I had to believe what you posted.
    What option does Unity give to those in China who use personal and don't use cracked edition?
    Either pay or just use cracked version instead?

Unity made two mistakes:
    1 punish all users in China for those who used crack
    2 ignore the difference between Taiwan and China mainland

Vectorbox likes this.
  43. orb

orb

It’s DRM gone mad. Clearly somebody went too far.

Kiwasi likes this.
  44. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

I think it will push developer move to cocos2d-x..... or unreal.

45. Xydw2

Xydw2

I try your way, it is worked. I think unity may doing experiments.... They don't explain it....
    Personal version has unity logo on splash, if the target cracked version, they should check it first.

Thanks for your help.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Instead of ranting in the void, why don't you ask them: support@unity3d.com

47. Dean-Kuai

Dean-Kuai

It's really bad and hard to believe there was no official notice or explanation. I'm a personal version user now, but I once subscribed to pro version for a year and spent thousands of dollars in the assets store. Now, trust in Unity has evaporated.

48. So, you build your game and before you publish it on the store or market, just ask them to remove the label. Is this so hard? I honestly don't understand the problem.

49. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

The problem is even them will help you to remove the watermark, their reply will be at least a week later. And most of time is no response.

50. Ah, I see. Despite the fact that the above conversation says that better_walk_away got response in a day or two you're worried about a week long response. And you're telling that you're sure about it. Well, I'm not capable of seeing the future like you so I cannot argue with that.

I really haven't seen any publisher when two days of known schedule was any problem when it comes to publication of a game, so I don't know. Maybe it's just me.