Search Unity

I am unemployed,should i make game full time as one man band indie?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexlam127, Apr 26, 2014.

1. alexlam127

alexlam127

or get a minimum wage day job to pay the bill and make game as a hobby?

2. nipoco

nipoco

That depends on your personal life situation. If you life with your parents, or if you have enough savings, I'd say go for it.

But you shouldn't bet your cards on game development if you're desperate for money.

Eventually game development is like any other self employment. It requires effort, focus, time and money in order to have success. And a good chunk of patience, because it's unlikely the money rolls in over night.

Maybe you should try it out as a hobby first and get a stable job, if you have no prior experience in game development.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  3. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

Never rely on creative work to give you a leg-up, because the conditions are too fickle. I suppose that a musician could grab a guitar and head down to the streets and busk, but for a - mainly - collaborative thing like game dev...? I think if you're hard up for cash and want a steady income, you should find a regular job. I'd say that if you asked about photography, film making, etc too. You'll only start to earn money when you've demonstrated skill over time.

4. TheRaider

TheRaider

this.

Also if your skills only allow you to get a minimum wage job then it will be mighty hard to be a successful one man indie band. For you games clearly should be a hobby for now.

5. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

It would depend on two things: Your ultimate career goal, and your tolerance for failure.

If you can't tolerate complete financial failure (perhaps you have children, other responsibilities, or simply aren't willing to risk all your savings) then the decision is made for you I think. If you have no savings I'd think the decision would also be made for you. If you have savings, you can calculate how long you'll last before you'd run out. When scoping your game, double the amount of time you think something will take. Be realistic about the extent of your skills and play to your strengths.

If your ultimate goal is making your own game and you're in a position where you can do that full time, it seems like there is no better option for you than to start right this second (assuming you have the idea). Working at a job you don't want seems like a waste of time. If you want to eventually land a game job at company X then it might be better to work on your particular discipline and build your portfolio.

Assuming you don't have kids or a mortgage to support, the worst that could happen to you if you go indie is failing outright, aren't even able to finish your game let alone sell it, go broke, and you've learned way more than you ever would have otherwise. If you're destined to fail a few times, or if you come to learn how off your scope was, then you might as well get that out of the way.

6. CarterG81

CarterG81

I don't know guys... a minimum wage day is pretty crappy. Especially the pay.

(Although that sounds really silly to say, "Especially the pay", I said it to emphasize how minimum wage has not risen with inflation and thus minimum wage jobs pay even less than they have ever before. That sucks. These jobs also have a high turnover rate because they are not easy.)

I refrain from giving advice, because I've never had the unfortunate experience of being forced into a minimum wage job. Thank God.

7. sootie8

sootie8

Freelance small scripts for money and continue making your games.

8. Dabeh

Dabeh

If you're good you can make a better living freelancing depending on where in the world you are, I wouldn't go the route of making a game full-time and betting on it.

9. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

Can you survive with not making profit for (at a minimum) several months? Can you survive making almost no profit for a year (Because your first games are probably going to flop)?

It isn't free money. There are a lot of great games that fail and make no money. Very few 1man teams make enough money to live on it compared to the people trying.

Get a job, get more education, get a better job, and have this a hobby.

10. CarterG81

CarterG81

Can you link some of the "great games that fail and make no money"?

I'm always on the look out for hidden gems that I can enjoy, but otherwise miss out bc no one tells me about them.

11. violinbg

violinbg

I feel like you think that a minimum wage job will give you more free time to make your game or something like that. I can hardly fail to disagree with that more.

If you have the skills to make a game and earn money out of it, you should be able to find a nice paid job with lots of benefits. I personally will go for a nice job and keep game programming as a hobby.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  12. yoonitee

yoonitee

Well if you're unemployed might as well use your time in a more productive way than watching day time TV. So go for it.

But if you are getting job-seekers allowance payments you have to apply for jobs. Watch Trainspotting if you want to get ideas of how to apply for jobs and not actually get them!! :D

Actually, depending on where you live if you're unemployed you might be able to get free training, or an internship.

You can think of it as building up your portfolio.

13. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Yes plant a seed in a game or something. At the very least the experience you gain can lead to a job opportunity

14. Kend

Kend

find a job making games

15. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Try to find a job making games.

There are lots of jobs for skilled folks.

16. Ocid

Ocid

Little dab a speed is just the ticket man.