Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I am planning to make Metroidvania 2d in Unity Engine, needs all the info as possible.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by UDN_e439e96e-49bb-4ebd-a98f-2c9efa572a4f, Dec 2, 2019.

1. UDN_e439e96e-49bb-4ebd-a98f-2c9efa572a4f

UDN_e439e96e-49bb-4ebd-a98f-2c9efa572a4f

Like my above statement, I want help-support to avoid unforeseen mistake in the future.
    I am average to beginner programmer, with a lot of passion for games and my next goal is a big transition from Appmarket to Steam/Switch/PS.

1. I wonder how I can-delegate my map, boss room on a metroidvania space, should I have "Unity-Scene" separate for each room. Best mini-map method.

2. Which is the best way to save state or save item to transition to next scene, or have everything on the same scene. (Still have a problem solving the save state situation)

3.Pitt-falls

4. Menu animation transformation.

5. a good guide for metroidvania

2. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Hi, good luck on your project, here is my thoughts.

1- I dont see why you would need different scenes, maybe just a boss scene if its so much more different then other scenes, however you can do it all in one scene.
    2- I use easy save its a life saver for me and easy to work with.
    3- I dont see a specific pitfall, if you can code it right should be fine. Unity has the tools needed to do that type of game.
    4- Not sure what you mean in transformation, but you can create some cool animations for you UI, relatively easy.
    5- Im not aware of a good guild myself

Some questions I have

1-So your a beginner, have you considered some assets to help?
    2-Is the world your thinking of static, like once you make the map will it remain like that or are you thinking about random maps per game?
    3-Are you an artist or will you be contracting the art?

Anywho, while im no expert I have released 2 games and messed around with both 3d and 2d so if you have any other questions I will help you the best I can.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

I tend to think of a scene as a "chunk" of content to load from the disk into memory and then to have it all dumped when you're done using it. It's a great way to store a cohesive piece of static content (Like a room, as you mentioned). Consider: the bigger your scene is, the longer it will take to load and the more memory it could potentially take-up. Also if you have a lot of active objects with Update methods, there could potentially be a performance pile-up too. On the other hand, if you go the opposite way and separate your game into a thousand micro-scenes that you load on demand- in that case Unity will probably be loading scenes constantly and that will also be inefficient. You'll have to just figure out how you want to divide-up your content.

One scene per room sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but don't worry too much about it, because it's pretty easy to re-arrange what content you have in each scene in the Unity editor. You can open multiple scenes at once and simply drag content from one scene to another. If you change your mind and decide that you want multiple rooms per scene or you want one room to be made from multiple smaller scenes, you can change it later.

I would say, just make a small part of your game to begin with. Find out what works for you. Once you get that to work you can take what you learn and apply that to rest of your game. Don't try to architect your whole game before you start, because it will probably not be accurate.

Some people only use one scene in their whole game. They prefer to use other tools (like asset bundles or whatever) to manage their content. I like to use scenes, though, because they are so easy and convenient to edit in the Unity editor.

Speaking of scenes, did you know that there is such a thing as additive scene loading (i.e. loading more than one scene at a time)? My preferred way is to have one scene that's always open. This scene has my player character and all of the important global data objects like inventory and the input manager, etc. I call it my "main scene". Then I additive-load and unload my various locations on top of that. It's easy to to work with in the editor too, because I can have my "main scene" open, and also open any room I want to test and I'm right there.

The amount of pitfalls that you may encounter are innumerably infinite.

If you are talking about animating UI transitions, I'm sure there are tons of tutorials about this. This is all possible but I haven't got far-along enough to where I've started to worry about this yet.

I don't know of any, but their isn't a step-by-step tutorial for every genre. A tutorial will teach you tools that you will use in any genre, though. Whether you are making an RPG or platformer, you still use the same tools, like collision detection, animation, vector math, etc.

4. ffman22

ffman22

one thing that we are doing in our project is use a scene for each area or zone, I think that is a good balance because each area in our game has like 25 to 30 rooms, and that will help you to get the feeling of a metrodvania game too, because each room per scene the loading can affect the immersion in the metroidvania world that you are creating.