Search Unity

I am new to Unity and have a lot of questions.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by VulcanAndroid1701, Feb 5, 2016.

1. VulcanAndroid1701

VulcanAndroid1701

Hi Unity3d Community,

I have been programming for years using Java and C and like to make 2d games. I finally decided to make the leap from 2d to 3d. I will be using Blender for Character Modeling and Unity for Game Development. I would like to program in C#.

1. Where is the best place to lean C# if you already have programming experience?

2. What are some good Unity Tutorials?

3. I would like to star with a simple 3d game. Which is easier to make, A Racing Game or a 3d Platformer?

4. What are some tips for getting started with game design?

5. How difficult would it be to get my game onto something like Steam?

6. Same question but with the Nintendo E-Shop?

7. I am sure I am forgetting some questions. Instead of trying to come up with them, just tell me some things I may need to know for what I am about to do.

Thanks,

VulcanAndroid1701

2. jhocking

jhocking

I don't know the answers to 5 or 6, but for the rest you should look at the Learn section of this website, and maybe consider getting Unity in Action, the book I wrote for programmers new to Unity: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/161729232X

Ryiah and VulcanAndroid1701 like this.
  3. mathiasj

mathiasj

1. Any book or tutorial will do as you already know Java. C# is very similar, both syntax and design-wise. C# just offers some more features and syntactic sugar.

2. I'd say that the official tutorials and the manual are sufficient; the most important thing is to directly use your knowledge in a small hobby project or so. However, Unity was not my first 3D engine and I don't know if they will be enough if you are entirely new to 3D programming.

3. I'd say a platformer. You probably won't need that realistic assets, the physics will be easier and so will the AI be.

I don't know about the other questions, sorry.

4. tedthebug

tedthebug

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

Look through these tutorials, they provide all the assets for free in the asset store & they explain why they are doing things the way they are.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  5. MikeTeavee

MikeTeavee

Here's what I did...

1. Read C# in a Nutshell

2. Read Learn Unity Programming with C#

3. My first game was a box that changed colors when I pressed the 'W' button

4. Read Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystrom.... great book!

5. Steam is the easiest way to distribute a game, shoot for that.

6. I heard it's extremely difficult to get something released on Nintendo

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

My method was the MSDN C# documentation. I was already familiar with C++, Java, and VB .NET.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

C# and C++ are very similar. For a beginner, you can probably include C++ resources.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I just turned up and got a ball moving, the rest is history. Oh, and still read the docs half a decade later.

Ryiah likes this.