Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

I am just starting with 3D and have a few things I still can't understand..

Discussion in 'World Building' started by ssbbb, Sep 4, 2021.

1. ssbbb

ssbbb

Hi there!

I'm very new to 3D (although made a few simple 2D games already) and still trying to get the grip of it.

I've recently purchased Gaia and am trying to create a scene with a more realistic environment. While I get most of my questions answered by various YouTube videos and form threads, there are still things that I am trying to understand, such as...

1. How do you guys create a realistic wind effect? (imagine a forest storm) When I try playing with Unity Wind, I get a very unrealistic effect (tree branches and vegetation are looking stretched and moving weirdly). Is that mostly coming from the quality of the assets (trees, vegetation) or is this still achievable to a good level with Gaia (for example) and Unity Wind? I know this is a work of art (and also not Unity), but how do you achieve an effect similar to this:
      ?

2. When you try to create a realistic scene, are standard assets + Gaia enough for quality results? Am I right to assume that the "quality feel" is coming mostly from post-processing and lightning?

3. In your experience, is 7700k CPU and GTX1060 (3GB) + 32RAM a setup that is good enough for HDRP 3D?

4. Will using URP be a bottleneck if aiming to create that level of realism?
    Thank you!

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its more than possible in Unity, but if your new to 3D realism, its a very large subject, its not going to be easy for you. This can be done with BuiltIn or SRP's. But to have high detail/gfx HDRP is best suited.

Gaia is great, but its mostly used just for the terrain itself (its strong suit). Yes, the quality of assets makes a HUGE difference, and unity wind can do the job. To be honest, Standard Assets arent going to cut the cake, they are basicly prototyping assets. That scene has alot of lighting and post processing effects, etc. which is different between engines.

Your rig is fine, and can handle high end like HDRP. URP is basicly used for mobile type games, so BuiltIn and HDRP are your choices. Im in no way discouraging you, but to develop a scene like that, you have ALOT to learn, 3D is completely different from 2D, even though some of the basics can be applied.

Wish i could go into detail, but not possible, would be way too long of a post. Best of luck, now get back to work!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  3. ssbbb

ssbbb

Thank you for your answer!

Surely, there is a lot that I still don't know, but I am willing to invest time learning (reading around and watching tutorials).

Would you recommend any asset pack in particular that you might know of? (I had my eyes on The Vegetation Engine and a few other assets, but I'm just looking around for now).

Thanks!

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

It all depends on your project. All devs have their own list of favorite assets. Both my games are based in tropical type settings, so my assets reflect that. I think you meant Vegetation Studio, one of the best assets for vegetation out there.

unityunity