Search Unity

Question I am getting started need a system review!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mangalamsrivastava2009, Jun 2, 2021.

1. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

I do not know whether this is the right place to post this but I am getting started with my new setup I just want a review or any suggestions so that I do not waste my money.
    It is a laptop setup so the laptop is Acer Predator Helios 300 ($1,600). It's specifications are-
    i7 10870H
    Rtx 3060 6gb
    16gb Ram
    1tb ssd
    15.6 inch display

I am also getting the peripherals that are as follows-
    1.Redgear Blaze Semi-Mechanical keyboard (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B073QQR2H2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1)
    2. Dragon war ELE - G9 THOR wired mouse (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00IJ5WZAG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1)
    3. HP H200 Gaming Headsets
    (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B084988NJ9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A353V6K9A6HBYX&psc=1)
    4. Zinq Technologies Cool Slate 5 fan cooling pad.
    (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B082FTPRSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1)
    5. Redgear MP80 XXL Size mouse pad.
    (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01J1CFO9O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1)

The peripherals are of $70, which totals up to $1700.
    I am getting the laptop from a local shop so I do not have a link for that.
    Please share a link of the system you suggest.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Any gaming-oriented machine -- laptop or desktop -- made in the last few years will be more than sufficient for Unity development. The same advice anyone would give for buying a new computer applies here: get the most future-proof machine that does what you want it to do and fits within your budget.

We could all recommend you get something more powerful, or say this machine is overkill, and that input wouldn't really be valuable to you. As long as your machine meets the system requirements, it'll work. Anything beyond that is up to your own preference.

3. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

Ok, trying to understand but this would be my first and last machine so it should be future proof for any kind of game I make at least till 5 years so will it still be overkill or should I get i7 10750h (6 core) / GTX 1660 ti/ 16gb/ 256gb ssd/ 1tb hdd
    Any change needed in accerories?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's requirements are vague because the actual system requirements depend on the game being developed. If you just want to develop mobile games you could very easily get away with any system for the next five years. On the other hand there are high-end game engines available that could very easily completely overpower both of those laptops right now. So if you want an answer we need a general idea of what you plan to make.

For the majority of tasks an Acer Predator Helios 300 will be fine but be aware that some tasks can continue scaling up in performance with more cores than a laptop can provide. My 5950X (16-core/32-thread) is very frequently hitting 100% usage during my work sessions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Schneider21 likes this.
  5. Schneider21

Schneider21

Like Ryiah said, this totally depends on what it is you want to make (and what you think you'll be wanting to make 5 years from now...) If you want to make things with AAA quality graphics, well... this machine probably isn't going to cut it now, much less down the road. But for learning and making smaller projects that are more realistically within the bounds of what a solo gamedev can make, it's probably good.

The accessories you listed are things that are completely user preference and have nothing to do with using Unity. Your laptop will come with a keyboard, trackpad, and speakers. If you'd rather use an external keyboard and mouse, then you should get the accessories that align with what you're looking for in that regard. Any recommendation I could provide there would merely be projecting my preferences onto you.

6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Your laptop specs looks okay to me.

7. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

Sorry for so late reply,
    The types of games I will develop are gonna be mid graphics but a lot of physics (simply a lot) and car mechanics and all that stuffs. I would enable RTX as it is a simple way to improve graphics in my game, although I did not find any laptop with more than 8 cores like in your case it is 16 (probably a desktop), so I am thinking to get a ryzen 9 as well so the system will be-
    Acer Nitro 5
    1. Ryzen 9 5900HX
    2. RTX 3070
    3. 16gb
    4. 1tb SSD
    5. 1tb HDD
    6. 15.6" IPS Display
    I have also removed the cooling pad and keyboard so that it remains in my budget.

8. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

Sorry for so late reply,
    The types of games I will develop are gonna be mid graphics but a lot of physics (simply a lot) and car mechanics and all that stuffs. I would enable RTX as it is a simple way to improve graphics in my game so I am thinking to get a ryzen 9 so the system will be-
    Acer Nitro 5
    1. Ryzen 9 5900HX
    2. RTX 3070
    3. 16gb
    4. 1tb SSD
    5. 1tb HDD
    6. 15.6" IPS Display
    I have also removed the cooling pad and keyboard so that it remains in my budget
    About making AAA titles probably I would be limiting my self rather than by laptop I am an Indie Developer. What are your thoughts about communities shall I make a small community including my friends and people who are interested? Although I am no expert in Unity but I will be in 1-2 years as I am a beginner who makes simple games using bolt. Sorry for going off topic.

9. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

Thanks Man!

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  10. Schneider21

Schneider21

This is all fine and everything, but you're right: it is off topic. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of having top-end hardware, using the latest rendering technologies, and having a group of people who are as excited about your game idea as you are.

But don't get so caught up in the fantasy that you lose focus on what you should be doing right now: learning how to make games. Since you first started posting back in April (also about what PC specs you're looking to buy) you haven't posted anything about Unity, which is the point of these forums. This suggests to me that you haven't actually started your learning process yet. Heck, it might turn out that you don't even like making games and just want to play them instead! It'd be a shame to spend that extra money on a machine designed to build games when all you need is one good enough to play 'em.

Unity can run on basically any modern computer, so you don't need a high-end rig to get started. I'd highly recommend you dive into some tutorials and get an idea of what your current PC is lacking for game development before getting so caught up in what your next one should be.

11. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

First of all you just imagined the story,
    Its not that I have not yet started, I have made both 2d and 3d games, and I totally disagree on the point that unity can run on any modern computer.
    First I used to make 2d games using GODOT, then I made 3d games using GAMEGURU and Lua programming and then I got a game idea which would be the first game I would publish, GameGuru did not have that much possibilities so I started using unity engine, first of all it used to take hours to open a new project, I used my patience and learned using bolt and made platformer 2d games, but unity used to hang a lot and it took me hours to do a task that can be done in 10 minutes, but the game idea that I had was 3d so first started learning C# and some very basic scripts used to take hours to compile, but I continued when I loaded some of my first assets into the scene and saved the work for the next day it took, I completely remember, 5 hours for it to open the project, and while testing the game I received like 1 or 3 fps. Then as I am still 11 years, I asked my parents to buy me a laptop or pc and I showed them the problem I was facing, they agreed on buying me a pc, I did a lot of research on hardware and decided the components but then as you might know the components of the pc and laptops were either unavailable or double the price, and yea I never used unity forums before as I never needed, I used reddit but as my parents said that it would be my first and last machine, I thought of contacting the people who already use unity.
    Well thanks for the suggest but actually my current laptop is lacking almost every component, so, thats it and thanks for spending your time making me understand

12. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well, we've had very different experiences, for sure. My personal MacBook is 6 years old and runs Unity just fine. Maybe we have different definitions on what "modern" means. :p

I didn't mean to imply you had no experience with game development. I simply meant that as a beginner you should be more focused on learning the engine and game development and less focused on cutting-edge features like ray tracing (though it's sensible to be forward-thinking) or planning out your game's fanbase already. You mentioned being a beginner but being an expert in 1-2 years, which is... optimistic. I've been using Unity for 8 or 9 years now and lead a team of 7 Unity developers at my job, and I feel like I'm perpetually just short of that Expert title as I constantly discover new things I haven't used yet. Maybe it's imposter syndrome, or being heavily exposed to the Dunning-Kruger effect in overly-confident managers over the years, but I'm immediately suspicious of anyone that calls themselves an expert, in any case.

Anyway, to wrap this all up, the system you spec'd out is fine. It's great, even. With an unlimited budget you can always do more, but this will do what you want it to and probably a bit more. Go nuts with it, and have fun.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  13. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yeah!:cool: