Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Hyper Casual] Which Publisher to choose ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by YNeb, Jul 7, 2019.

1. YNeb

YNeb

Hello everyone,

I happen to work on hyper casual games on my free time and have come to the point where I want to submit it to some publishers in order to see if it'll have any interest for them.

If it even happens (fingers crossed) I don't want to send my games to "the wrong one" and get stuck in a contract that wouldn't be the most interesting for me.

Do some of you know of a resource where someone list the publishers, their conditions and their contracts ?

I've find things such as reddit threads where someone listed lots of them and their general appreciation of it but I'm wondering if someone has a list including the thresholds those publishers might be looking for.

For example, I know that Voodoo is looking for a retention of 45% Day 1 and 17% Day 7 with a CPI of about $0,30 to publish your game, and this is not something that I've achieved on my own yet.

So if you happen to have any info/resource about it, I'd love to hear about it, so we can create a sort of collaborative list allowing us to target the publishers that are the most relevant for your games and current situation!

Thanks for reading me :)

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

There are lists of publishers, but you're highly unlikely to get details of contracts. Business deals commonly include a confidentiality clause, so the people who know the details typically can't share them.

My suggestion would be to look at publishers who have backed games similar to your own and been successful with them. Pitch your game to all of them, then compare any offers you get and take (or not) whichever is best for you. Once you've narrowed down the field like that it could also be worth getting in contact with the developers of the games you looked at and ask them how working with the publisher went.

Remember that you don't necessarily have to accept a contract or offer as it is written the first time you see it. You can potentially negotiate... though don't expect too much wiggle room for your first games. Also remember that you're not obliged to take an offer just because it's made, so if an offer isn't in your best interests you've always got the option to walk away right up to the point where you've signed something.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Additionally, not all contracts with a publisher may the same. The deals may vary widely due to a lot of factors.

--

Likely if you haven't released it yet, they may not be interested. Self-publishing and getting out the to public is the best way to determine realistically what kind of traction it has. The numbers you gain from that will let a publisher know what they are working with and if it is in their wheelhouse.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Good luck getting a publisher for a mobile title before soft launching...

zombiegorilla and xVergilx like this.