Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Hydroform Ocean Renderer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Xix-Interactive, Feb 11, 2016.

1. basil3

basil3

Hey,

That seemed to do the trick for the underwater artifacts. I had to raise it to 0.85 to hit the sweet spot without any other noticeable issues that I can see.

The shader/mesh between the under/over water line still has the artifacts though.

Hardware is:
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor, 3300 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
    Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    16GB 2133 Mhz RAM

Unity version: 2017.2.0f3

Ste

2. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

I'm not sure what you mean there, could you post a picture?

3. basil3

basil3

Here you go:

Line.png Line2.png

4. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

OK thanks, and that was happening before you increased the value to 0.85?

5. basil3

basil3

Hey, sorry I've been away for the weekend.

Yes it was happening before increasing the value.

Thanks,

Ste.

6. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

No worries, thanks for reporting back. I've discovered the problem, was able to reproduce and I have fixed it, will go up in the next update

7. basil3

basil3

Great news, thanks a million!

Ste

8. hedgefield

hedgefield

I've been eyeing Suimono for a while, but I'm glad I picked Hydroform, it's much better!

On the topic of buoyancy, I've had some success using Fast Buoyancy (free) out of the box to make boats bob on the water, better than the included script for sure, but it still has some weird moments when a wave completely covers it or the boat seems to float. Do you think a large boat would somehow be better affected by multiple small buoyancy colliders, or is there a way to do one large collider and it just needs some more sophisticated calculations? I'm wary of buying any of the other buoyancy toolkits if they all work more or less the same. Realistic Water Physics 3 looks good for example, and has support for all the other ocean assets on the store, anyone have experience with it? I tried the community one but I couldn't get that to work. It's strange that Unity doesn't have a script for that, when there is one for 2D.

Another interesting thing is that the ocean seems to trigger the Postprocessing Stack v2's motion blur in a major way, the whole screen gets blurred even when the camera itself is not moving.

I'm enjoying playing around with Hydroform a lot so far, trying the different settings and creating new looks. ShoreFX is such a killer feature too! Oceans clipping through terrain was a real eyesore.

9. Dark-Muppeteer

Dark-Muppeteer

Was there any resolution for this?

I'm seeing the issue even while just moving around the in the scene view, I have no reflection probes at all, just a basic island, and the standard skybox using Unity 2018.1.0f2.

10. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

I fixed the issue with reflection probes, can't remember exactly what the problem was, but it may fix your issue as well. That fix will be in the next update coming soon. Think I'll shoot for it sooner rather than later now, possibly this week.

Dark-Muppeteer likes this.
  11. franky_li

franky_li

How can I get foam arround a mesh in the water, like a rock?

12. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

First, check the culling mask on the Height Cam. If you haven't changed anything, then meshes should render to the height field. Next, is the rock in shallow water? The foam draws depending on how deep the water is at any given point. So if you want foam around a rock, you need terrain or other rocks underneath where you want the foam to show up. You'll probably want this anyway as rocks tend not to float by themselves (tropic island demo aside :p).

You can change the depth at which foam shows up via the Shore FX/Shore Foam panel. Look at the DepthLowFreq and DepthHighFreq values.

If this still doesn't suit your needs, let me know, with a bit of scripting you can have more control and I can get into that.

Mark_01 likes this.
  13. Goobles

Goobles

I've been trying to get some kind of foam effect working around moving objects like boats - any ideas? I've tried a few third party decal projection assets but they don't play nicely with hydroform.

14. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

Yeah I'll probably have to code something up specifically to do this - unfortunately it would involve re-rendering an ocean patch where the projector would be which would be non-trivial, though I do it with the underwater
    'cage' mesh.

I think 3rd party projectors don't work because, although Hydroform renders to the z buffer, it also queries the depth buffer and this somehow doesn't allow it to store depth info in there, so other apps can't read the ocean depth from it. Stupid Unity stuff that's beyond my control. 2018's new render pipeline may allow a lot more control over that type of thing, I'm hoping, though it may be a ton of work to take advantage of it.

Mark_01 likes this.
  15. Goobles

Goobles

If it ends up being a whole lot of extra work I think it's safe to say that me and other people would be willing to purchase a system like that as a separate add-on to hydroform.

16. Xix-Interactive

Xix-Interactive

I don't know what your budget situation is, but I am a freelance programmer so I could do it via contract if you need it right away. In terms of priority it's a few months off at best. I've got volume culling essentially done, then I've got to hunt down some bugs and then add some day/night/dynamic sky support, take a look at VR, etc.

Mark_01 likes this.