Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydra Particles - A new particle sytem for Unity3D

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by VesuvianPrime, Aug 17, 2014.

1. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

What started as an attempt to work around the limitations of Shuriken and Legacy particles has turned into a completely new particle system.

Hydra Particles is an open source particle system for Unity that can be used as-is or freely extended. We are designing the system to be as accessible as possible to both developers and designers of many levels.

(Particles running in editor - Made using the Hydra Particles system)

Artist Advantages:
    • Per particle quaternion rotations - Legacy and Shuriken only provide a single arbitrary axis.
    • Forces - Forces are simple components that can be added to the scene to immediately create new effects (gravity wells, directional forces, turbulence, etc).
    • Colour blending - Simultaneously utilise per particle colour, colour over speed and colour over lifetime. Choose exactly how these values mix (multiply, overlay, burn, dodge, etc).
    Programmer Advantages:
    • Fully open source - Tear it apart, modify it, learn from it.
    • Comprehensive API - If you can see it in the inspector, you can modify it via code.
    (Video showing collision - Made using the Hydra Particles system)

The renderer is pending a rewrite, so the inspector is currently very messy.

We have implemented most of the base features and we will be close to a testing stage soon.

We are trying to accommodate for as many user requirements as possible and are keen to hear any further features you guys might like to see in a particle system.

What do you like/dislike about other particles systems you have used?
    What would you would like to see in your ideal Unity3D particle system?
    What do you most commonly use a particle system for?

Currently being developed:
    • Point cloud
    • Vertex color shaders to compliment default Unity shaders.
    • Option for 2D games - to lock to appropriate axis
    • Editor utilities
    • Tutorials
    • Documentation
    Potential Future extensions:
    • Prefab instantiator (instantiating prefabs and mapping their transforms to particles)
    • Skinned mesh particles
    • And more!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    rakkarage, SememeS and DividedByCory like this.
  2. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

looks cool man, about the fire I think the file sprites should move a lil faster and have rotation

3. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Thanks Rinoa!

The purpose of the thread wasn't so much to show off individual particle effects, but introduce our new particle system.

Rinoa_Heartilly likes this.
  4. DividedByCory

DividedByCory

The per particle quaternion rotation sounds like an attractive feature, one of the primary limitations of Shrunken for me is the constraints in that regard. Could you elaborate on how this new system may work?

Also, if I was to put a feature on my particle systems wish-list it would be the ability to emit particles evenly distributed around a cylinder. Similar to the smaller circular emission of smoke in the image below, however evenly and consistently distributed without the need for multiple particle systems.

5. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hey DividedByCory

Each HydraParticle in our system has a Quaternion rotation, and a Vector3 angular velocity property (soon we'll add rotation over lifetime, rotation over speed).

(Emitter per-particle rotation settings)

You can very simply set the rotation value of each individual HydraParticle as you would a Transform, and the HydraParticleRenderer will orient the particle accordingly. In this very simple demo I am using the HydraLookAtForce to demonstrate how simple it can be to rotate particles:

HydraLookAtForce Video

Code (CSharp):
    1. using Assets.HydraParticles.Scripts.Abstract.Forces;
    2. using Assets.HydraParticles.Scripts.API.Emitters;
    3. using Assets.HydraParticles.Scripts.API.Particles;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. namespace Assets.HydraParticles.Scripts.Concrete.Forces
    7. {
    8.     /// <summary>
    9.     ///     HydraLookAtForce adjusts rotational velocity such that particles
    10.     ///     turn to look at the force position.
    11.     /// </summary>
    12.     public class HydraLookAtForce : AbstractHydraForce
    13.     {
    14.         /// <summary>
    15.         ///     Applies the force to the specified particle.
    16.         /// </summary>
    17.         /// <param name="emitter">Emitter.</param>
    18.         /// <param name="particle">Particle.</param>
    19.         /// <param name="deltaTime">Delta time.</param>
    20.         public override void Apply(IHydraParticleEmitter emitter, IHydraParticle particle, float deltaTime)
    21.         {
    22.             Vector3 position = emitter.GetParticleWorldPosition(particle);
    23.             Vector3 particleToForce = transform.position - position;
    25.             if (particleToForce == Vector3.zero)
    26.                 return;
    28.             Quaternion toForceDirection = Quaternion.LookRotation(particleToForce, transform.up);
    30.             float delta = 180.0f * deltaTime * GetIntensityAtPosition(position);
    32.             particle.rotation = Quaternion.RotateTowards(particle.rotation, toForceDirection, delta);
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }
    It is also extremely easy to inherit from AbstractHydraForce and create completely new effects.

With regards to the cylinder emission, I feel there are a few potential solutions:

1. With Hydra Particles it is trivial to instantiate a bunch of new particles and add them to an existing emitter. You can completely configure the particles, including their positions in local/world space. Currently we are writing a Point Cloud script to help demonstrate/facilitate this usage.
    2. We have discussed briefly the idea of particle systems having multiple emission shapes. Is this something that you see being useful?
    3. We still need to implement mesh emission, which could include the ability to distribute particles over geometry. We could also implement some form of bezier emission shape.

6. DividedByCory

DividedByCory

That is very cool, I think the ability to have more control over gimbal lock when billboarding would be nice. That is to lock the pitch, yaw and roll in any combination. This system may be well implemented in the inspector allowing people (like myself) with a vague understanding of scripting the ability to efficiently adjust such a thing. On the other hand seeing as modification of the current systems is quite accessible that may be a bit of a time sink.

In response to your suggested solutions I imagine a solution may be explored allowing one or more custom mesh emitters to strictly use the normal directions of the mesh as the emission direction and perhaps even having control over the deviation from the surface normal direction of the mesh.

For instance a cylinder could then be used quite efficiently to emit particles in an even distribution. Perhaps you can utilise the smoothing groups of an object, I only have a limited understanding of the technicalities behind mesh smoothing and it may already be utilised inside Shrunken, I'm just spit-balling here and I'd love to hear your opinion on that. To summarise control over emission based on normal direction with the ability to control the deviation would be totally badass.

With regards to the use of multiple emission shapes I think if having multiple meshes per particle system will lower performance overhead then it is something I'd gladly use. However if simply having two particle systems doing the same job (with more modularity) would have no negative impact on performance compared to the former method then I could live without it. I think it'd be a neat feature nonetheless.

7. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

I love the locking idea. From playing games where rain splashes are quickly drawn randomly on the ground in rapid succession, it is important to have billboards that only rotate in yaw.

Mesh emitter is something I need to get started on. I don't think the normals/smoothing should be much of a problem, though I need to research how to distribute mesh points evenly.

DividedByCory likes this.
  8. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Alrighty, implemented position/rotation locking:

Demo Video

dyupa, landon912, calmcarrots and 2 others like this.
  9. Breyer

Breyer

you have random between curve feature (looks similar to shuriken double curve editor)?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Yes we do! We also provide the ability to modify each axis independantly:

You'll also notice you can make the randomization linear. This means that instead of each axis being randomized, you instead get a random point between the two values. This is useful in cases such as scale where you want random sized particles, but you want to maintain the ratio.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    calmcarrots likes this.
  11. twoc46

twoc46

Hi guys Tim here,

I have two suggestions for Hydra:
    • Mesh Rendering - With this rotation for X Y Z should be available rather then just X
    • Material Rendering Properties over particle lifetime - The biggest problem that I face is the fact I can't change a Materials property over a Particles lifetime. I have solved this by using a Vector parameter but this as you can guess this stops me form using it for other properties like Colour and Alpha.
    Those are my subjections but I'm sure there are some I have missed out.

12. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hey Tim

Thanks for the suggestions. By mesh rendering/rotation do you mean something like this?

The material properties is an interesting one I hadn't considered. I'll have to run it past our shader guru and see what we can come up with, unfortunately she's on vacation for the week.

If you can think of anything else let us know!

Thanks,
    Ves

13. twoc46

twoc46

That's great, an added benefit would be locking a rotation axis of mesh very much how you are able to like the billboard render as previously posted. a benefit to this is for 3D water splash.

Another addition (Sorry to badger on) would be a better stretching render. What I mean is the ability to stretch a billboard or mesh over time. UDK's Cascade uses this but Unity requires that the particle has a velocity which is really annoying.

Thanks again and I am excited to see the outcome,
    Tim.

14. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

The locking works for both mesh and billboard particles.

Here I am scaling the X and Y axis of some billboard particles independantly over lifetime:

Brace for programmer art: scale over lifetime

This also works for meshes: mesh scale over lifetime

15. twoc46

twoc46

That's exactly what I want. I'm now really excited what other stuff you guys can cook up.

rakkarage and calmcarrots like this.
  16. perracolabs

perracolabs

Hello.
    About the collision, against what can the particle collide, 2D & 3D colliders? At the moment the Unity particle system only supports 3D collision, so to have also finally a particle system which supports 2D colliders would be great.
    Does this particle system support animating particles via material offsets?

17. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hey guys

Overdue a bit of an update. The past week I've mostly been working on optimizations across the board, but I've also been able to implement:

A bezier editor - soon this will be hooked up up to the emitter so you can emit particles in all kinds of crazy arcs (click for short video):

Locking Vector3 fields - for when you don't want each axis to be independant:

Now, Perracolabs, I haven't actually taken a look at Unity's new 2D features, but I would like to think 2D collision would be simple enough to implement. Perhaps you could describe a scenario (or even provide a scene) where particles would be colliding with an object in 2D and I can work on the collision there.

Can you elaborate on the animation comment? I think you're asking for texture driven animation?

18. perracolabs

perracolabs

Hi VesuvianPrime, should I could VesuvianPrime? :)

About the animation, I refer to the existing functionality of the Shuriken particle system "Texture Sheet Animation", which allows to use tiled materials to emit particles each taking a different tile from the material. So an example is that I might have a material which uses let's say a 4x4 tiled texture, each tile having a different shrapnel piece, then each emitted particle would be using any of the 16 tiles which I placed in the material. This is useful when the particles should have a resemblance to an exploding object.

About Unity 2D, all 2D colliders have an infinite Z axis, meaning that no matter how far objects are from each other on the Z axis, they will still collide between them only because of the X/Y axis.

To test 2D collision is very simple to setup. In a 2D-game-mode scene with a orthographic camera, create a 2D sprite and give it a Physics2D.BoxCollider2D, place HYDRA emitting near it on the X/Y axis but far on the Z axis, The expected result is that no matter in which Z axis position HYDRA is placed, emitted particles which intersect with the same X/Y axis of the sprite will still collide with it, even if by the Z axis particles are very apart from the sprite.
    In a 2D game the user will never see any Z axis at all. the Z axis is used usually only at design time to not have all the gameobjects cluttered on the same plane and to z-sort them.

About 2D collisions, I can give you many scenarios where it would be useful. A game example is BroForce (see video), though this game is a 2D platformer it has been implemented behind the scenes in 3D.
    The Unity Shuriken system has no 2D colliders support, so 2D platform games which need to use such effects need to be developed with 3D colliders and 3D physics, giving a unnecesary overhead.

19. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

You can call me Chris if you like!

Thanks for clarifying everything. The texture sheet animation is definitely on the todo list. Shouldn't be hard to implement at all (just need to randomly offset uvs by some factor).

I did some reading on 2D and it looks like it's going to be trivial to get Hyrda particles colliding with 2D colliders. I've got the model/inspector updated:

Next step is to update the simulation logic. I should have a demo for you this evening!

20. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Apologies for the belated demo. Had some issues with the new 2D physics API. Seems Unity has changed things around and added some new caveats.

Anyway, have some programmer art (video):

twoc46 and perracolabs like this.
  21. perracolabs

perracolabs

22. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Bezier emission implemented (video)

23. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Time for an update

(video)

The past few weeks I've been focusing on optimization, stability fixes, making sure the package meets Unity standards and some polish.

It turns out it's very easy to cause memory leaks in Unity. I've been making good use of Visual Studio and Resharper to tighten much of the code, which has resulted in reduced memory usage and greater performance.

I've rewritten a number of the core objects to play nicer with Unity's serialization.

The inspector has also received some attention:

24. perracolabs

perracolabs

talking about optimization, any benchmarks on how will it perform on mobile devices?

25. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

I've always heard the bottleneck on mobile is the number of drawcalls, which is fine here because each particle system only uses 1.

What kind of mobile do you have? Perhaps I could throw together a demo and you could give it a test?

26. perracolabs

perracolabs

Actually I own several mobiles phones and tablets for testing and development purposes, though all of them running Android.
    For your library I could test it on a Samsung Galaxy S3, Google Galaxy Nexus and even try an old Nexus S. And on Tablets I could try it on a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX, and a Dell Venue 8. Depending on the performance I might also try some lower end devices to compare.
    To make it easier I would only need an Android APK with some kind of testing output which I can send you.

27. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Texture sheet animation now implemented! (video)

Perracolabs, I must admit I don't have much experience profiling things at runtime. What kind of testing output do you feel would be sufficient? An FPS counter?

28. perracolabs

perracolabs

It depends on how Hydra works. I think to test it the apk should be very simple. Maybe allowing to create several emitters at will, and increase/decrease the amount of emitted particles, also at will, maybe with a slider.
    And to output on screen the FPS, amount of emitters, amount of particles per emitter, and maybe the drawcalls. In any case, if you draw all this data on screen, I can dump some screenshots and publish them here, plus I will of course add the device specs bit on each screenshot. I have also a screencast app which can record video from whatever is on screen, though I don't know how it will perform with the apk running, or if it might affect the test performance.

29. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Fixed up the SceneView GUI

I'll see what I can put together for you Perracolabs. I think now is the perfect time to get testing information.

30. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Performance test #1:

Web
    Android

I wasn't able to print the draw calls, but the editor shows the emitters are only using 1 call, because they all share the same material.

I'm not too impressed with the perfomance so far. I think I have a date with my profiler.

31. schipman

schipman

Man this looks awesome! Two features that shiruken is sorely lacking is velocity facing particles and non-uniform particle scaling - if you could add these this would be absolutely kickass!

EDIT: Looks like non-uniform scaling is implemented! When can we get our hands on this!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  32. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hi Schipman!

Thanks for the feedback. Your excitement is my excitement!

Velocity facing particles should be easy enough to implement. How would this behave with billboards?

Hoping for a first release in the coming weeks, just need to make sure everything is as good as it can be.

33. schipman

schipman

As far as how the math works on velocity facing im not sure (i'm an FX artist), you can look at any major realtime system for reference ( in unreal they are called PSA_Velocity, Fork- velocity, Crytek- velocity facing)
    From the crytek particle documentation:
    • Velocity: Sprite faces direction of movement, texture X&Y aligned with screen X&Y.
    They are not camera facing, they orient according to the way they are travelling- perfect for things such as sparks. Most times you will need a double sided material so that they render on both sides.

34. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Do you mean something like this?

(video)

(video)

35. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Replaced a bunch of the Unity Mathf methods with the ones from here, as well as avoiding calling Unity properties where possible. The performance increase has been significant! I've updated the links in the previous post.

36. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

I'm curious, did you take any screenshots of the performance profiles before and after? It'd be interesting to see the results.

What functions did you focus on the most?

37. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

No screenshots, but I was getting below 60fps at the 900 particle count before, and 1500 particles after.

I ran the test script from that thread to make sure the maths functions hadn't been improved in the last few years. The ones that I ended up adding to my maths utils were:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         public static float Abs(float value)
    3.         {
    4.             return (value < 0.0f) ? -value : value;
    5.         }
    7.         public static int Abs(int value)
    8.         {
    9.             return (value < 0) ? -value : value;
    10.         }
    12.         public static bool Approximately(float a, float b)
    13.         {
    14.             return a + 0.0000000596f >= b && a - 0.0000000596f <= b;
    15.         }
    17.         public static float Repeat(float a, float b)
    18.         {
    19.             return a % b;
    20.         }
    Also, prior to today, I had written my my own maths functions where params[] arrays are used. Turns out calling params[] methods instantiates a new array every time, increasing memory usage.

I was also surprised to discover that callying RayCast with an empty LayerMask has an overhead, so simply wrapping that with a LayerMask == 0 test improves things when we're not using collision.

Finally, I was doing some overzealous validation in places. Copying lists of particles, checking to see if particles exist in lists, blah blah. I simplified things.

38. perracolabs

perracolabs

I will post some test results soon. So far for the Samsung Galaxy S3 (which is a high end device) the speed is initially really fast. The performance is only affected by the amount of particles on screen.
    For this device, is running steadily at 60FPS till reaching 180 particles on screen.
    Now the strange part, increasing from 180 particles at a rate of 30 particles per increase will drop the performance by 10 FPS per increase. So at 210 particles it drops to 50FPS, at 240 particles drops to 40FPS, and so on.

Also a collider test might be useful, maybe to place an object and an option to activate/deactivate particle collision.

Note about the APK that can be improved for further test. The controls are very small for a high density device so is very tricky to touch them, please make them larger. the bottom counter is not fully on screen, is half sliced though still readable as the top side of the numbers are easy to understand, Maybe to place them under the controls would be better.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  39. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Thanks for the feedback!

I've uploaded new builds of the performance test. Fattened up the GUI and added collision.

I've also pulled out some code that was theoretically causing exponential slowdown.

Last night my SO reported that that her iMac running the Webplayer wasn't speeding up again after removing emitters. Has anyone else noticed this?

40. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Another Mathf reimplementation, borrowed from someone's SimplexNoise class:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static int FloorToInt(double value)
    2. {
    3.     return value > 0 ? (int)value : (int)value - 1;
    4. }

41. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

I'm up to 2000 particles at 60fps running web build on my computer. ~33% performance increase.

I reworked the way I was handling local and world space so now I'm not calling emitter.transform 1000x per frame.

The main improvement was to take the Bounds calculations out of the physics step, and instead move it into OnPreCull.

The profiler suggests I'm instantiating/copying a lot of string data. The Hydra particle system does very little with strings outside of the editor, so this is a big surprise to me. I've opened a new thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/string-memcpy-and-string-memset-in-profiler.272312/

Finally, I'm now printing the version number to the GUI, so please let me know that when you test things.

42. schipman

schipman

Vesuvian, it looks like the behavior of those velocity facing particles is correct but the orientation is off. Looks like they are oriented in the direction of their surface normal, and instead they should use (i believe) the vertical tangent as their direction, so that the billboard kinda tumbles over as it falls...

if you apply an arrow texture to your particle with the arrow pointing up, thats the direction you want your quads to go

43. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hey Schipman, I'm not following 100% on what you're after. Perhaps you could draw a diagram for me?

44. schipman

schipman

Not sure how helpful this is: http://imgur.com/i8hsBrU
    Basically it looks like to me, right now the quads are oriented using the red arrow pointing from their normal. You want them to use the blue arrow instead, so they tumble over.

45. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Ok, thanks for the picture! I have a pretty clear understanding of that you want, and I'm confident I can get it implemented no-problem.

Just got back from 11 hours of travel, and I'm itching to finish my current wave of optimization. Should have new stuff done tomorrow.

46. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Rewrote most of the renderer, now up to 2800 particles at 60fps. Almost a 100% improvement!

The links again for version 0.2.0
    Web
    Android

47. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Sorry for being dumb but is this available for download from the asset store or your website?

Would this work well for water (Ocean/river) systems?

48. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hey Andy

We're hoping for an Asset Store release in the coming weeks. We're very close to being feature complete (for the first wave) and we have a little polishing to go.

You could certainly use Hydra Particles to simulate a waterfall, splashes, maybe even the surface of a river. Hydra Particles is not a fluids simulator, so you would not be able to fill a volume with particles.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  49. VesuvianPrime

VesuvianPrime

Hey Schipman

I think this should be correct now? (video)

50. schipman

schipman

Yep, that looks like how it should be behaving- I would have to play with it more to know for sure though.

Very nice!