Search Unity

Official Hybrid Renderer V2 (0.4.0)

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by SebastianAaltonen, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

2. Zec_

Zec_

This thread is so huge that I missed the fact that you had also been posting about BatchRendererGroups. I have now realized that the shadows flickering and weird culling is caused due to my additional BatchRendererGroup. I used it for the grass, flowers and bushes that I showed off in my previous post. I did not realize that the issue was due to the BRG at first, as regular entities that was rendered by the regular HybridRendererSystem were flipping out as well.

I have now tried removing my BatchRendererGroup, and instead converted the grass and flowers as entities and now I can't seemingly see any large glitches, so I'm quite confident that it's caused by the BRG.

3. snacktime

snacktime

Ya not really happy with the state of BRG. The data corruption going on hits a lot of use cases I've found all sorts of strange side effects. And they refuse to support the api on it's own taking the attitude of nobody needs it outside of HR. So if it's not impacting intended scenarios for HR it's not getting attention.

I like a lot of the approaches but am sort of dumbfounded by what they think real studios want here. If they don't get their act together soon we will probably just bite the bullet and implement gpu culling and go back to supported api's.

4. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

We are not happy about the state of BRG either. It was an experimental API implemented quickly for Megacity. Never properly documented and with lots of sharp corners. Difficult to use because of multiple reasons: the returned ID mappings are not stable (removing a batch is implemented as swap with last), the shader must be special (special ShaderGraph codegen), the MaterialPropertyBlock APIs have always been broken, different portions of the API are not compatible with each other and the supported feature set is very limited.

When my team started implementing Hybrid Renderer V2, we started iterating on this API to fix these issues. This is still an ongoing process. The API is changing for every release as we find more limitations/issues and solve them in order to reach full HDRP and URP feature coverage. We have found several architectural limitations with the design of the BRG API and we have a long term plan to replace this API with a 100% documented and 100% maintained new API + new backend designed to be more generic and significantly higher performance. The plan is to support N instances of the new API to enable users to write their own special case optimized renderers. And of course provide an example a simple renderer implementation on top of the API. The new API is also designed in a way that you are able to write your own GPU culling if you want to do that instead of using Burst C#. We will of course keep maintaining and improving BRG until the new API is production ready.

I added a chapter about BRG to the newest hybrid renderer package documentation (should drop in a few weeks), to explain the basics of the API and to document some of the most common pitfalls. Please give us feedback if you need more specific information about some aspects of the API. We will keep improving the document.

We also added feature support matrix and roadmap to the documentation. If you find some missing details, please ask and I will improve the document.

hugokostic, rauiz, ekakiya and 10 others like this.
  5. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

It's a bug if the material is not rendered correctly by default. My quick assumption is that HDRPMaterialPropertyEmissiveColor should be (1,1,1,1) by default and instead we use (0,0,0,0) default value for this properly. We recently introduced a system that allows configuring default values separately for each property, so this should be easy to fix if the bug is indeed simple like this. This bug might also be caused by issues in handling shader and material default values. We will investigate. HDRP emissive is controlled by many inputs, so it's a bit more complex than other properties.

flyingmylove and Nothke like this.
  6. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

This should work. Could you paste the code snippet you are using to spawn the dynamic entities at runtime?

7. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

We are aiming to add several missing URP lighting features for 2020.2 release (fall 2020). These changes require engine changes and SRP package changes, updating hybrid.renderer package is not going to be enough. Prototypes of URP light maps and URP SH probes already are working, but it takes some time to get them to shipping state.

thelebaron likes this.
  8. snacktime

snacktime

Thanks for the response it's good to hear BRG will be supported directly. I was a bit frustrated being told otherwise on other forums but water under the bridge.

Do you think BRG is going to be stable with multiple instances within the year?

9. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Yes, if the emission is not picked up from the material settings, then it's definitely a bug.

Nothke likes this.
  10. colin_young

colin_young

Oh, it does work. As usual it was PEBKAC. While I was using a URP asset, it wasn't the stock URP asset, but instead was an asset from Crest Ocean that was several months old (to be clear, I'm not blaming Crest for me using something they released against an unreleased rendering pipeline that their asset was never intended to work with because it didn't exist at the time they released it). As soon as I switched to a recent stock asset things started to appear.

11. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

I have now landed a rudimentary UI as well as a settings asset to control this. It will land in a future hybrid renderer package release (0.8? not completely sure which yet).

This will give you a UI in project settings where you can set how many MB of persistent storage you want. It will also give you the ability to set it from code by changing the value in the HybridRendererSettings scriptable object.

In the editor a changed value will trigger a rebuild and reuppload of all batches.
    In the player we will not act on the changed value, so if you need to change it from code there you will need to do it early, before the hybrid renderer system is created.

KMDeclius likes this.
  12. sietse85

sietse85

I am not sure if this was discussed before but after upgrading to the latest version of Hybrid Renderer i see suddenly a very big CPU time for `Add new batches` in the system. Any ideas as of why? Before no issues....

Opeth001 likes this.
  13. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

Are there any optimization tricks i can do with culling? I have ~ 50k Entites, When i look directly into the ground, no entities is displayed and i have 250 fps (which is good!).

When i look around i see only like 400 entities at a time because they are obstructed by my terrain which is done via vertex displacement in a shader. The performance is then at ~ 90 fps. It should be much more since i only see a really small amount of entities. So i guess each entity is still rendered even thou iam not really seeing that much.

Should i do the culling by myself? How "good" is the standard culling? Should i disable entities which are in the back of the player?

14. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Does you're using static optimize entity? Or all of them dynamic?

15. tylo

tylo

Will the Hybrid Renderer ever support HDRP's Sorting Priorities? I really need it for controlling the sorting of individual transparent meshes that are ontop of one another. (Specifically I need support of the Per Renderer way of doing it, not the Per Material way)

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c....0/manual/Renderer-And-Material-Priority.html

In the mean-time, is there another way of doing it or would I have to write my own custom shader?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  16. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Point Lights disappear when I convert them to an entity. As part of a hierarchy declared in a prefab. Anything I'm doing wrong here? :)

lclemens and Stroustrup like this.
  17. snacktime

snacktime

So 2020.1 beta is wreaking havoc on HR V2. beta 9 is ok normal glitches but b11 and b12 I'm seeing tons of stuff just render up in the sky. Is the team even aware?

upload_2020-6-24_2-25-48.png

18. sietse85

sietse85

Still wondering why MS tripled since last HR update.

AlleywayNick likes this.
  19. snacktime

snacktime

The conversion systems need to be public can we please get that fixed?

Also the toggle to attach to primary entity is nice, but should be something we can set separately for skinned and not skinned meshes.

20. snacktime

snacktime

So trying to sort out what is going on with HR and animation renderers. Animation team is mostly not responsive and the bug here is technically in HR I think, although it seems like maybe the latest animation was intended to work with 0.12 but they pushed it out anyways.

So what looks to be happening is HR is not parenting skinned renderers correctly. It could be a bug on the animation side impossible to say without knowing the intent. But parenting to the rig root entity and fixing up render bounds does seem to fix things. Would be nice to have someone say what is going on here even if just to confirm it's a bug.

21. snacktime

snacktime

So as it turns out this is not HR. It's some change in recent 2020.1 beta rendering where our shaders were just working differently. Wind logic was changing the rotation. Not our shader so didn't spend the time to investigate just turned off all the wind values.

22. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

How do I make a second light with Hybrid Renderer V2 in Universal Render Pipeline? I literally can only get one directional light working at any time, I'd like to have a vertex directional light as a complementary fill light, for instance.

I can see how point lights don't work, but the docs say nothing about additional directional lights.

But this thread does, this answers it.

Is there an ETA? (as in, is it in the next update? further out?)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm curious about new version ETA as well. Current SRP master doesn't work anymore with Hybrid 5.2.0-preview.4. Instead we get greeted by following error:
    Looking at the SRP hybrid test project, it's already using 0.7.0-preview.8

24. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Also curious if there's any news on DXR support on Hybrid Renderer.. I tested 0.5.2 with latest SRP and objects rendered with hybrid do still not contribute to the reflection. I'm more of looking for an answer like if it's even possible to support it some day.

m0nsky likes this.
  25. florianhanke

florianhanke

I am trying to use V2, but my entities do not render and I cannot figure out what is going wrong.

I set ENABLE_HYBRID_RENDERER_V2 and the message shows: Hybrid Renderer V2 active, MaterialProperty component type count 52 / 128

The materials used are in the list here https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...brid@0.5/manual/index.html#hybrid-renderer-v2 (URP Lit).

This is the scene in the editor:
    Screenshot 2020-07-04 at 20.40.46.png
    When the game is running only the Gizmos are rendered:
    Screenshot 2020-07-04 at 20.41.21.png
    The HybridRendererSystem appears to pick up all 68 entities of the scene.
    Screenshot 2020-07-04 at 20.42.08.png

Running 2020.1.0b10, Core RP 9.0.0-preview.13 on macOS Catalina 10.15.5 on an AMD Radeon Pro 580 (also did not work on 10.14 with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M). I am using NetCode and the rendering systems run in the ClientWorld0, if that has some impact.

I'm starting to get convinced it's something silly :oops: Where could I look next? Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  26. andywatts

andywatts

Are you using the default conversion flow with ConvertToEntity?
    Perhaps create and convert a simple cube and compare the components and values?
    In the past I’ve had issues with hand crafting entities and new hybrid tenderer versions requiring new componentdata.
    Also ran into issues where I expected implicit default values to work..and ended up having to set them. Scale for example.
    Possibly an issue with MacOS Metal, is OpenGL any different?
    There’s also the origin bug. Any chance your object is rendering at 0,0,0? HTH

florianhanke likes this.
  27. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

We need to render a lot of lights in our game , and them being gameObjects which need to be synced from DOTS is a good portion of time spent on our main thread. Is there any plan to make lights entities instead of them being GameObjects ? We are in hybrid renderer v1 atm

28. florianhanke

florianhanke

Thank you for the pointers!
    I systematically went through them. I am using the default conversion flow.
    I have a simple "cube" in the scene, but also added an actual cube. I set Scale for all entities to 1 using this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace BUD.Systems
    2. {
    3.     public class TempAddScaleToNonScaleSystem : ComponentSystem
    4.     {
    5.         protected override void OnUpdate()
    6.         {
    7.             Entities.WithNone<Scale>().
    8.                      ForEach(
    9.                              (Entity entity) => { EntityManager.AddComponentData(entity, new Scale { Value = 1f }); }
    10.                             );
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }
    It added the Scale component with Value 1f to all, but no dice. Since the entities are picked up by the HybridRendererSystem, I tend to think it's not the render system per se.
    It does not appear to be an issue with Metal. And the object is not rendering at 0,0,0.

To see what happens in a provided scene, I did open the default URP scene and added entities, hybrid rendering, SRP 9, and netcode to it (and moving all objects of the scene into a Convert to Client Server Entity object).

The default scene in editor:
    Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 16.19.56.png
    The default scene when running:
    Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 16.20.11.png
    So when looking at the workbench top (Bench Top in the entities debugger), it is rendered but is not at the position it should be (near the Safety Hat), but instead moved to the spot light, and so are its other parts. Some objects, like the ground, are not rendered at all.
    So now I am hypothesising it's because of NetCode that some values might be wrong and as a result the Hybrid Renderer is not rendering the object correctly or at all. Specifically, the issue for me might be that in my GhostAuthoringComponent I have a hierarchy, and for example, the RenderingLayer did not sync correctly to the client (set it to Everything and it was set on the server as such but not on the client – on the client it was 1).

If somebody has more experience with the Hybrid Renderer in combination with NetCode, and has some ideas, happy to hear them :)

Next steps: Remove NetCode and see if that renders.

29. I think it is not Netcode. Because I have the same issue (well, sort of). Although I only have some objects to render at wrong positions. And because I do not use netcode, it is not installed. I also don't have currently physics in my project.
    Runtime (design time is perfect as usual):
    answer.png

florianhanke likes this.
  30. florianhanke

florianhanke

Thank you! Looks identical to my scene. Then I am currently out of ideas :(

31. andywatts

andywatts

Perhaps try the latest packages and unity beta. There was a flurry of releases last week.
    I'm running Unity 2020.1.0b14, HybridRenderer 0.5.2-preview.4, URP 9.0.0-preview.35.

The frame debugger with your simple tank scene could hold some clues.
    It's a bit esoteric, but could validate the draw calls for that mesh+material are actually happening.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    florianhanke likes this.
  32. florianhanke

florianhanke

Oh excellent suggestion!

The meshes are indeed drawn during Render Opaques:
    Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 09.59.50.png
    But apparently not in the right spot:
    Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 09.59.59.png
    (Afterwards, the Gizmos are drawn over the above)

The turret is not rendered correctly, but at least I should see it in its magentan glory.
    Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 10.03.16.png
    Unsure how to proceed – it's probably obvious to some of you…? I'll try to figure out from the frame debugger data where it should be rendered and why it isn't rendered there.

Edit: The values in the Frame Debug when running are identical to the ones in the editor. Now I'm quite convinced it is something super silly (like a setting) or an actual issue.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    andywatts likes this.
  33. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

Is the FrozenRenderSceneTag the correct tag for objects which will never move and be static? Or is there a different thing?

34. florianhanke

florianhanke

Is this "render in wrong location" bug already known? (Not asking @Lurking-Ninja specifically, more the Unity Hybrid Rendering V2 people)

35. Zeffi

Zeffi

Question about the Hybrid Renderer V2, even after searching this thread:

Does it not render lights other than the main directional one if using ECS? Even simple geometry doesn't seem to show light from spot/point lights once it's rendered using entities.

The only way I've been able to get light at all is by using Graphics.DrawMesh, but rendering everything via that seems somewhat cumbersome. Is the expected workflow to render it entirely using Graphics.DrawMesh/DrawMeshInstanced? I suppose I could calculate matrix, store the mesh, and then draw it via that function, but is it performant, or does it kinda eat the purpose of the ECS?

Am I missing something obvious?

Edit: URP. And yeah, I've just replaced all Mesh Renderers with my own ISharedComponentData holding Mesh&Material, draw em all via Graphics.DrawMesh, and it seems to work out with a quick Entities.ForEach, now lights work as expected.
    But... why is this how it works, why doesn't light get rendered normally via entities?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  36. wusticality

wusticality

Hey @joelv, Will there eventually be a standard way to create prefabs entirely from script? I'm generating tens of thousands of entities programmatically in batches using NativeArray's is why I ask.

I suppose one approach is to put all prefabs you want to spawn in the scene, store their entities in a map, and Instantiate them in jobs using an EntityCommandBuffer when you need new copies. The issue with this is that these prefab entities will be rendered and participate in the world which is not ideal.

Edit: I just discovered the Prefab component and also noticed that Instantiate removes it. Horray! :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  37. andywatts

andywatts

You sure about this? I hadn't noticed my converted entity prefabs are doing this.
    If this is the case, I'd be inclined to change the query in HybridRender to exclude entities with the prefab tag.

I previously hand rolled my own prefab entities, but it was brittle with preview packages changing.
    I'm back using the method in CodeMonkey's YouTube video.

38. wusticality

wusticality

Did you see my edit above - Instantiate removes the Prefab component.

I wonder - are these prefab components stored somewhere that's queryable? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to store them in a map myself so I can Instantiate them later ..

39. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

They stored in the same place as any other entities, they just excluded from systems EntityQueries by default. But you always can include them in your
    ForEach\EntityQuery
    through
    EntityQueryOptions.IncludePrefab

Code (CSharp):
    1.             GetEntityQuery(new EntityQueryDesc()
    2.             {
    3.                 All = ... ,
    4.                 Any = ... ,
    5.                 None = ... ,
    6.                 Options = EntityQueryOptions.IncludePrefab
    7.             });
    Code (CSharp):
    1. .WithEntityQueryOptions(EntityQueryOptions.IncludePrefab)
    But having map for accessing prefab by some your defined key will be just better as you'll access required prefab when you want.

charleshendry, Zeffi and florianhanke like this.
  40. rauiz

rauiz

I'd like to start by saying this new API sounds amazing :). Some questions about it though:
    1. Will it be, in any way, dependent on Unity's ECS Default World?
    2. I really like the idea of being able to "add" rendering to any ECS World with a simple function call passing in said World. This idea of supporting N instances of renderers seems like it'd be something in that direction. Would that be a correct assumption?
    3. Anything you can comment regarding how we'd interact with this new API from ECS Systems? Is it leaning towards a "Systems with Virtuals Functions to override"-like approach, "API that exposes Native Functionality we can call from anywhere"-like approach or some other thing I can't think about? :D:D Although the first one seems like the significantly worse option to me, the possibilities here seem very interesting and exciting for me.
    4. I'm assuming it'll be done when its done, but I still have to ask: Is there a timeline on a preview of this that you can share?
    To me, this sounds like a great direction to take Unity's DOTS Rendering in. Any news about this that @SebastianAaltonen can share here with us would be great.

charleshendry likes this.
  41. vengefullfoot

vengefullfoot

Hello, I'm currently trying to convert gameobject for which I generate the mesh procedurally. I've notice that if one of the part of the translation is > 50000, the entity is not rendered (I'm using hybrid renderer v2 / URP). I guess there is a setting somewhere about this. can you help me to configure it ?

42. mingwai

mingwai

Small Graphics Potato Unity Technologies

Hi, the template scene is using Static batching, and Static batching is not supported for the converted GameObjects (entities). We are aware of the issue and apparently there is no error message to let user know the problem.
    I've created the bug report and you might track the status here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-in-play-mode-when-static-batching-is-enabled

So for now you can turn off Static Batching in ProjectSettings>Player OR turn off "Batching Static" flag on the MeshRenderers.

Lurking-Ninja and florianhanke like this.
  43. mingwai

mingwai

Hey, do you mind trying this? Not sure if it helps..

Code (CSharp):
    1. var bounds = renderMesh.mesh.bounds;
    2. EntityManager.SetComponentData(entity, new RenderBounds { Value = bounds.ToAABB() } );

44. vengefullfoot

vengefullfoot

Thanks, but as it's converted gameobject, they already have renderbounds, with good values.

45. mingwai

mingwai

ummm.. does it happen even with just the default cube? Or the problem only happens on the generated mesh?

46. vengefullfoot

vengefullfoot

Actually, when I try with a simple sphere gameobject with a convert compenonent, it is not visible anywhere.
    I've moved all my generated object under the 50000 limit and it worked, until I applied a rotation chunk system (like in the unity sample). Once the rotation applied, the object is not renderered (all the the variables looks good). I've disable the hybrid renderer v2 and now it works. So I guess it comes from it...

47. Stroustrup

Stroustrup

Is this the correct way to apply LightProbe data?

what's BuiltinMaterialPropertyUnity_SHC fourth value supposed to be though? spherical harmonic only has 27 floats, guessing the 28th value makes no difference, or at least it doesn't seem to make any.

also nothing in BuiltinMaterialPropertyUnity_ProbesOcclusion seems to also make any difference

in a fully baked scene, the capsule gets illuminated at least. it responds to baked lighting colors and brightnesses correctly though backface is not illuminated. the other fully illuminated capsule is how it should look like

I tried doing LightProbes.CalculateInterpolatedLightAndOcclusionProbes(); to get the SphericalHarmonic instead of my own way of interpolating between lightprobes in pic related, but I get the exact same results. must be something wrong with the way i apply the lightprobe data or the way the hybrid renderer uses that information for rendering.

Anyone know the solution?
    guessing its an issue with hybrid renderer 2 being in beta. anyway, had some good performance improvements. can't wait until its polished up

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  48. SamuelSiltanenUnity

SamuelSiltanenUnity

Unity Technologies

The light probes don't work in the current version yet. But we've landed this feature it will be in the next release of dots / hybrid renderer.

49. mingwai

mingwai

Sounds like a bug.. do you mind sending us a bug report?

50. florianhanke

florianhanke

Figured out my issue by comparing every setting in the sample scene (which works correctly – minus the ambient lighting – after setting static batching to off):
    I had SRP Batching set to false since that had caused the "Disco Bug" (blinking colorful material, https://forum.unity.com/threads/disco-srp-batcher-bug.778589/) – when I set SRP Batching to true, the entities render. If it's false, the entities are not rendered, and everything looks ok otherwise (the system for example looks perfectly fine – the queries return the correct number of entities and show them in the entity debugger).

It would be helpful if there was a log entry on startup.

Anyway, no disco bug anymore, and hybrid rendering v2, so yay!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    andywatts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.